hey guys COB is pretty much my favorite band and i wanna know wat techniques they use and those other things like scales and stuff i fu guys know plz tell me.
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
a lot of sweep picking, some tremolo picking, i think some melodic minor scales, they also my favorite band too dude. learning everytime i die but stuck at those fast sweeping passages.
kk good cos i just learned and went through all the minor melodic scales. Alexi laiho kicks ass u shuld see him in concert \,,/

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
anything else guys?????

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

i also saw this one sick video of alexi laiho giving "lessons" on youtube but i cant know exactly what to do just by looking at him play

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Earlier in his career Laiho used a lot of harmonic minor actually. Said so himself. Now in the newest album (AYDY?) he started using more of diminished kinds of scales (not exactly sure which dim scale) and of course he's used diminished arpeggio (sweeps) from the beginning nearly.

For sweeping he clearly likes to use tapping for expansion of the arpeggio, and he also does those tap-bending kind of things; see this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-752947032142755325
Quote by ZombieModeRocks
a lot of sweep picking, some tremolo picking, i think some melodic minor scales, they also my favorite band too dude. learning everytime i die but stuck at those fast sweeping passages.

none of the sweeps in there are hard...you usually find the same patterns in lessons teaching pplz how to sweep

oh and I noticed hes starting to use the pentatonic minor a bit
Tunings : 1 step down, always.
Favoured techniques of Alexi and Roope : Fast alternate picking, sweep picking
Double what you play with a keyboard most of the time

Those are IMO the most important elements of Children of Bodom. But there are many more. Check out their tabs, see what you can pick up from them.

Oh and be absolutely amazing at guitar.

EDIT: THIEF! Isn't that Embodiment's avatar?
R E G G A E
Quote by willpulman_172

Those are IMO the most important elements of Children of Bodom. But there are many more. Check out their tabs, see what you can pick up from them.

your wrong

what about down a step and a half....something wild was their greatest stuff

what about drop C?

what about down 2 steps?

Favoured technique of roope: tapping dude..have you ever heard stone, roope is a god at tapping
k ty dudes. and u guys got any idea where i can get an alexi laiho custom guitar and how much they would be?

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

^the alexi laiho signature model is about $2000...i don't think you'd want to dish out that much for a guitar, especially since it doesn't even have a neck pickup and is just hopelessly awkward to play sitting down

be original
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
that vid that oldsong gave the link to is so effin sick. wat song is that and how do i play it??

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Seriously no offence but grow up fanboy..you dont need his guitar

If you really want it you can get cheap asian copys for like $300 american somewhere but they arent worth shit

and its not a song its a jam, people dont usually name jams...but from what Ive seen there a guitar pro file of it called demonstration #2 or something...mots of the song is missing but all of alexis leads on most songs are the same kinda patterns so you shouldent have too much trouble picking up on the missing parts...too bad roopes guitar is so quiet

And I find V shaped guitar THE most comfortable while sitting down since I allways sit in the classical position
Last edited by Canada911 at Jan 14, 2007,
lol.... i was just asking how much it was. id only get one if i was a rich kid but anyway i still need to know how to play that one jam!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Its not too hard find the tab or pick it up yourself

The main riff is simple, then play a few licks, do a chromatic run up the E string, another run up from the 16the fret or whatever, then that bending lick laiho allways does (ofcourse thats not exactly whats going on but Im trying to show its not too hard to pick it up by ear)

you know like ect
----------14-----------14
------14-----------14
-16^---------16^

you say your a shredder so Im sure you have picked up on the patterns laiho allways plays
Last edited by Canada911 at Jan 14, 2007,
well yea i improvised the main riff on the vid like the rythym part. tell me if im close. and tabbing it would take a long time ive never tabbed anything in my life. anyway i did a powerchord on the 2nd and 4th frett and hit it like the beat and then i did 4th frett 2nd string, 3rd frett 3rd string, 4th frett 4th string, and 2nd frett 3rd string. yea sorry for not tabbing it.

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

yea and well im a shredder in training. im doing pretty well since i started about a year ago.

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

hey, if i get some COB solo tabs u think it will get me better and faster over time?

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Quote by deathmetalboy
hey, if i get some COB solo tabs u think it will get me better and faster over time?

The tabs won't, playing them might.
Haha yea put it all in one post dude

Um learning every cob solo will probably help...but learning ANY solo will...
Quote by willpulman_172

No, old CoB albums are Drop D and the lastest album is Drop C. I remember Alexi telling about it in a instructional video on youtube or google video.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by Dardarian
No, old CoB albums are Drop D and the lastest album is Drop C. I remember Alexi telling about it in a instructional video on youtube or google video.

Tbh that's not quite right since most of the old stuff is with tuning low to high: D G C F A D, while the new album is: C G C F A D. Something Wild (1st album) was tuned down 1½ steps if my memory isn't failing me here.
^
Come to think of it you might be right, too bad I can't remeber the exact vid in which alexi tells about CoB tuning.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Quote by OldSong
Earlier in his career Laiho used a lot of harmonic minor actually. Said so himself. Now in the newest album (AYDY?) he started using more of diminished kinds of scales (not exactly sure which dim scale) and of course he's used diminished arpeggio (sweeps) from the beginning nearly.

For sweeping he clearly likes to use tapping for expansion of the arpeggio, and he also does those tap-bending kind of things; see this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-752947032142755325

does anyone else find that video looking like it was done infront of a greenscreen?

otherwise that sounded sweet

pepsi
Quote by deathmetalboy
a powerchord on the 2nd and 4th frett and hit it like the beat and then i did 4th frett 2nd string, 3rd frett 3rd string, 4th frett 4th string, and 2nd frett 3rd string. yea sorry for not tabbing it.

|----------|
|-------4--|
|-------3--|
|-4----4--|
|-4----2--|
|-2--------|

and yes that most defeintely looks green-screened...thats kinda funny