Page 1 of 36
420 FREAK
3,342 IQ
I was looking for but didnt see any so i made one.
420 FREAK
3,342 IQ
Has anyone learned to play the song For The Love Of God its really good and its not that hard.
insideac
is present!
8,096 IQ
Yeah. I almost finished learning Bad Horsie but I have no wah pedal, and I got bored of it and had to start working on an original piece for an upcoming event
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by 420 FREAK
Has anyone learned to play the song For The Love Of God its really good and its not that hard.

I've never heard a decent cover of it, except maybe one.
tasty_lick
Banned
60 IQ
I used to be the biggest vai fan ever and theres no questioning his abilty as a guitarist but some of his compositonal stuff now actually makes me nautious..

I loved eat em and smile ,skyscraper and passion and warfare obviously was great but the signs were there on that album...'liberty' being the worst offender having a really cheesy vibe...even 'for the love of god' i cant listen to anymore

Its been a while since he wrote a song as good as 'bad horsie' and as for 'The elusive light and sound vol 1' album i'm amazed its even classed as an album... frankly its an embarassment....the emperors new clothes springs to mind
Scorzerci
UG Addict
384 IQ
He is a great guitarist and is quite possibly the best performer in the shred genre (next to Yngwie Malmsteen) in my opinion at least.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
gapster
-.-
10 IQ
uh..just a random noob question about him..

does he double track in his recordings ? ..seems like he don't..just want some confirmation..
srv_king
UG's Rugby Player
976 IQ
Quote by Scorzerci
He is a great guitarist and is quite possibly the best performer in the shred genre (next to Yngwie Malmsteen) in my opinion at least.

personally, i think vai is better than malmsteen, but malmsteen is still great. buckethead owns all though
insideac
is present!
8,096 IQ
I think Malmsteen and Buckethead are tied for leaders in performance. They are both extremely active, and Malmsteen always throws in jokes and moves around the stage in a fast pace, while Buckethead has his nunchuku and robot dance schtick.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
What I like about him most is that he has always sort of reinvented himself on every album he has released. Every one of them have a completely different atmosphere and sound.
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
IMO, Vai owns all.

I heard someone say once, 'if it could be done with a guitar, Vai could do it, if he cant, its most likely not possible to do' - i agree with this totally. If you have some time, go browse around for some of his interviews, videos and what not, the man is a flippin genius. Although i personally prefer Joe Satriani music, i just adore Steven Siro Vai for his abilities with the guitar.

Everything he does with it is magic. If you havent heard Touching Tongues, you must.

Im sorry if this post is a little bias or anything, its just my opinion, i think he should be a god and be on every top guitarist list as No.1..

Just my opinion though, sorry if i had offened anyone.
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by xtopher_aaron
IMO, Vai owns all.

I heard someone say once, 'if it could be done with a guitar, Vai could do it, if he cant, its most likely not possible to do' - i agree with this totally. If you have some time, go browse around for some of his interviews, videos and what not, the man is a flippin genius. Although i personally prefer Joe Satriani music, i just adore Steven Siro Vai for his abilities with the guitar.

Everything he does with it is magic. If you havent heard Touching Tongues, you must.

Im sorry if this post is a little bias or anything, its just my opinion, i think he should be a god and be on every top guitarist list as No.1..

Just my opinion though, sorry if i had offened anyone.

While he certainly is a brilliant guitarist and musician, I doubt you've heard a very big variety of the so-called virtuosos
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
5150)Ed(5150
Pre-Banned
425 IQ
Vai is definitely one of my favorite guitarists. He practically defined the term virtuoso. He also helped develop one of the most playable guitars of our time, the JEM. I respect him a lot as a musician and performer.

The only thing I dislike about him (I can't view anyone as perfect) is his weird sounds. They are alright for a little while, but sometimes- especially live- he just goes on and on with his whammy bar across the strings, or atonal sweeping, etc.

However, it is part of his style, so you can categorize it there.

A must-hear is "Lotus Feet: Live" of his most recent album, Real Illusions: Reflections. It is a beautifully orchestrated piece, showcasing Vai's musicianship and technical prowess at the same time.
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
Witch-king
Dio
790 IQ
One of my favourite guitarists. He's unbelivable.

1,493 IQ
Yay Vai!
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
While he certainly is a brilliant guitarist and musician, I doubt you've heard a very big variety of the so-called virtuosos

well yeah, you could say that, the few i know would be,

Joe Satriani (god), Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Eric Johnson, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Al Dimeola, and a few others i guess,

But yea, I still think Vai owns them all, ok maybe own may be too harsh of a word, but i certainly think he could stand up to any one of those 'virtuoso's' you might know.

Im about to search a Joe Satriani Thread, if theres no, i will start one now.
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
My good sir, I'll have to record one for you.

Well go ahead.
6DOIT
Midway Creature
893 IQ
Does anyone else think its funny that its taken this long for threads for the two most celebrated and well known shredders(IMO) to be made?????........................Anyway I played the live in the Astoria DVD for my friend yesterday.........................It was like a kick to his Brain Balls..........................We were both depressed after that...............
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by 6DOIT
Does anyone else think its funny that its taken this long for threads for the two most celebrated and well known shredders(IMO) to be made?????........................Anyway I played the live in the Astoria DVD for my friend yesterday.........................It was like a kick to his Brain Balls..........................We were both depressed after that...............

Not really, I think it's rather logical, considering you weren't around for the numerous threads we've already had on them before you registered...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
I just freaking wish he'd go back to using modded Marshalls or the Bogners. I don't really llike the tone he has now at all.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
lobster624
stop that
245 IQ
Quote by duggyrocks
Passion and Warfare kicks ass. I've also got into his 30 hour workout, it's good stuff (PM me if you want it).

Vai makes me wish I had a floyd rose (Blast you RG321!).

30 hour workout? could have swore it was 10hour . correct me if i'm wrong but theres only 24 hours in a day
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
duggyrocks
does not rock
3,321 IQ
Quote by lobster624
30 hour workout? could have swore it was 10hour . correct me if i'm wrong but theres only 24 hours in a day

Yeah it's spread out over the course of 3 days, but I don't have the time for that, so I just fit in the hours when I can.
Nite27
Duke of Prunes
118 IQ
Vai is still my favourite guitarist (Saw him at Zappa Plays Zappa in Vancouver last month, and he completely blew me away) but when compared to Satriani in terms of writing and solid albums, he cant hold a candle to him. I find that with Vai, you really have to wade through all the crap to get to the good stuff... but the good stuff is AMAZING.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by Prophet of Page
I just freaking wish he'd go back to using modded Marshalls or the Bogners. I don't really llike the tone he has now at all.

Yeah, me too. I hate the Carvins.
calebrocker
Awesome User
1,334 IQ
steve's awesome, so is satch. i really like steve's music, but sometimes it can get a little boring when he shreds too much. i can always listen to satriani though, his songs have a groovy feeling to them, and he keeps the insane shredding to a minimum. but still, vai is great, one of my major influences in guitar. along with satch and petrucci.

if anyone's new to vai, i suggest the album: Steve Vai: an infinite anthology. it's practically 2 disks of the more popular songs. some good songs aren't on there though, like touching tongues and warm regards, melissa's garden either.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
what some guy said earlier, I haven't heard decent covers of Vai, except that Mexican guy from youtube, but he focus on getting the vai sound, not the vai thinking.

I can see alot of players play Vai but not play LIKE Vai.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
its almost impossible to play like Vai, maybe you could get close, but in terms of his style and abilities, its close to impossible..
dgme92
A pretty butterfly.
685 IQ
hey, um, iv never listened 2 steve vai b4, but i know he's supposed to be kickass, so uh, can i get the names to some songs 2 check out on iTunes? thanks loads
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by dgme92
hey, um, iv never listened 2 steve vai b4, but i know he's supposed to be kickass, so uh, can i get the names to some songs 2 check out on iTunes? thanks loads

Tender Surrender and For The Love of God are probably his best known.

Click.
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
Heres some more you should check out and what i think about it:

Die To Live (listening now!!)
Touching Tongues (a must!!)
Voodoo Acid (if your into that sorta thing)
Little Alligator (just cool)
Firewall (very cool)
Boston Rain Melody (one of those super sweeet songs)
Im The Hell Outta Here
Whispering a Prayer (sweeeettt)
Bad Horsie (make love to your partner with this)
Juiced (Juiced!!)
Christmas Time Is Here (Xmas has passed, but he just makes you wanna do it again)
Blue Powder
Erotic Nightmares
Building The Church

ok thats enough for now..!!
420 FREAK
3,342 IQ
Is anyone else sick of people saying that Steve Vai or the Satch have no soul when they've only listened to one song at the most?
GibsonPuppeteer
Why yes, it's me.
91 IQ
Quote by 420 FREAK
Is anyone else sick of people saying that Steve Vai or the Satch have no soul when they've only listened to one song at the most?

Yeah dude, they probably haven't heard Tender Surrender. Or For The Love Of God. Or Lotus Feet. Or any of the 7th songs for that matter.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by dgme92

The Crying Machine
Hand On Heart
Warm Regards
Bangkok
Fire Garden Suite
The Animal
Tender Surrender
The Attitude Song
Boston Rain Melody
Brandos Costumes (Gentle Ways)
Whispering A Prayer
Rescue Me Or Bury Me
Touching Tongues
Voodoo Acid
Christmas Time Is Here
Lotus Feet
Freak Show Excess
Last edited by Stratwizard at Jan 21, 2007,
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by xtopher_aaron
its almost impossible to play like Vai, maybe you could get close, but in terms of his style and abilities, its close to impossible..

His phrasing is pretty freaky. No one except Vai can play the solos from Tender Surrender and FTLOG.
Righteous
Hippyesque
23 IQ
Tender Surrender and Hand on Heart I think are among his best works. Oh, and **** Yourself, that's just funny.
I have nothing to put in here.