Page 2 of 36
hey thanks loads! he actually has really unique sound... cool! im listening to Tender Surrender now, hehehe!
Quote by 420 FREAK
Is anyone else sick of people saying that Steve Vai or the Satch have no soul when they've only listened to one song at the most?

i sir, am very much sick of that too.. even if it is just one song theyve listened to, i would really really love to hear which one. I havent found one Satch or Vai song that hasnt done it for me.. Maybe at first, a few songs did that, but after a listen or two, i find them all great..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Quote by 420 FREAK
Is anyone else sick of people saying that Steve Vai or the Satch have no soul when they've only listened to one song at the most?

them bastards need to listen to " Sisters ". It's definitely one of my favorite Vai songs even if it is on a acoustic. plus so many more of his songs, these people need to look beyond they're own nose's for ****s sake.
Quote by Holy Katana
God created man before creating woman, because you need a rough draft before you create a masterpiece.

Member #4 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM altronataku or apocalypse13 to join.
Quote by calebrocker

if anyone's new to vai, i suggest the album: Steve Vai: an infinite anthology. it's practically 2 disks of the more popular songs. some good songs aren't on there though, like touching tongues and warm regards, melissa's garden either.

To be honest, while the infinite anthology is an amazing collection of his work, for pure listenability I prefer Passion and Warfare. It's just a really solid album and it showcases some of his best work, imo.
I like Vai's playing and tone a lot, I'd say he's technically the best guitarist I've ever heard. As with Satriani, I prefer his earlier albums, he sorta lost me after Fire Garden. I'd like to hear these guys get away from the shredding somewhat and back to rock and blues, like Satriani's self titled album, which I think is one of his best... but that's just me.
I've listened to the Anthology and Alien Love Secrets...I really like Tender Surrender, Juice, Frank, Die to Live, Christmas Time is Here, Crying Machine (from Fire Garden), Boston Rain Melody, Brandos Costumes, Whispering a Prayer, Feathers, ...but those sound like his simplest songs, in terms of composition... >_> But I still don't like a lot of his stuff...but I think the list accounts for a lot. Stuff like Tender Surrender is just amazing. He said in an interview that the solo was just improvised! The phrasing and all the techniques that segue in and out seamlessly is just fantastic. And the pure emotion in which he plays it...wow.

But my true devotion goes to Satch!
Last edited by wasp2020 at Jan 25, 2007,
Quote by Carvin Abuser
I like Vai's playing and tone a lot, I'd say he's technically the best guitarist I've ever heard. As with Satriani, I prefer his earlier albums, he sorta lost me after Fire Garden. I'd like to hear these guys get away from the shredding somewhat and back to rock and blues, like Satriani's self titled album, which I think is one of his best... but that's just me.

you should watch this video on youtube, i forgot whats it called, but it just shows Steve n Joe just chillin in a studio like environment, only the two of them being all so casual wit their guitars, they did a jam that was totally improvised. That was really something to remember. It was like 40mins long if im not mistaken, so maybe its on google video. You might wanna check that out.
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
has anyone else seen Vai on the Eric Clapton crossroads DVD that performance is cool how the 4 players line up and play on each others necks does anyone know what that song is called that they play because i dont know where my case for the dvd is?
Quote by sylent
lol he owned you all.

^^yeah talking about me

Quote by Phill-Rock
Well some people like the worn look, just wait for the rest of the guitars deterioration to catch up then call it "vintage".
I haven't seen the crossroads DVD, but I'm assuming that it's the same song that is done with Vai, Macalpine, Sheehan and Weiner (*giggle*) in the G3 Live in Denver dvd when they all play each other's instruments. If that's the one, I think that the song is called "Juice", but it might be "I'm the hell outta here".
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
has anyone seen crossroads its a good movie and he plays for like 10 minutes in it
ive seen the clip of when Jack Butler does some 'cuttin heads' at the end. I think its the last bit of the movie. Vai gets pwned by a kid.. geess..
why isnt vai in G3 this year????
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
Vai is busy with his solo album............ besides, Paul Gilbert pwns as well !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Vai has a lot of work on his own this year. Real Illusions dvd, Aching Hunger dvd, new album... Personally, I'm glad he decided to do something worthwhile.
What's the aching hunger dvd? Do you know anything about the release date of the Real Illusions dvd?
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Aching Hunger is the project with Metropole Orkest. Some of the shows were filmed and they will be released as a DVD soon (bootlegs are already available). As far as I know, the only release date that's been given for RI:R DVD is that it will be released some time in 2007.
What... what...?! So after all these years you're telling me Karate Kid didn't play Eugene's Trick Bag? Goddamn... I thought that wax on and wax off thing helped my alternate picking!
yeah that metropole orchestra thing is recorded near where I live. It was on local tv, and I really liked it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
What... what...?! So after all these years you're telling me Karate Kid didn't play Eugene's Trick Bag? Goddamn... I thought that wax on and wax off thing helped my alternate picking!

Vai plays both parts

emm.. well.. duhh.. i knew that..

and LOL!! to the wax on wax off.. HaHaHaHAAH
STEVE VAI IS AMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

I can play The Animal, For The Love of God, The Crying Machine, And some of his DLR stuff
Quote by hoogie boogie
STEVE VAI IS AMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

I can play The Animal, For The Love of God, The Crying Machine, And some of his DLR stuff

I can relate to your excitement. The Animal in the Astoria DVD freaks me out sometimes.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
^^ x10 That DVD made my life.
I only wish I could play his stuff, but I've been neglecting my guitar for some time now. I'd blame work, but what it comes down to in the end is drive and willpower, so really it's my own damn fault.
U said it!
I've watched that dvd millions of times...and it always seems to get better!

Can't wait for his Real Illusions Reflections tour to come out on dvd, and his neww ALBUM!! Plus the aching hunger dvd!
I have it but on video so can't upload it

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I have it but on video so can't upload it

Ur serious??!!!! how did u get it????
Quote by hoogie boogie
Steve's hands are enournmous....any good ideas on how i can get mine that big?? :S

touch steve's willy(or little stevey )
I wish Vai would do another album like Alien Love Secrets, namely one where he doesn't spend like 3 years combing though every note to make sure it has significance to some obscure story that only 3 people are going to understand.
just wondering what vai fans think of this http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Steve_Vai

if you're too lazy to click it heres part of it...

Steve Vai, born Alfred von der Reichenstafeln in Burgandy, Guatamala, 1993, is a legendary enthusiast of vast proportions. He is well-known as possessing the smallest penis known to man. His early life was brief, lasting perhaps 15 years, but it was to prove the most important of his still continuing existence. It was during those first 15 years that he met his mentor, Oscar Wilde, who himself was an avid enthusiast. He introduced Steve to many of his items, which fascinated the young lad. These items included brazing hearths, funeral expenses, the Daily Telepgrah, Rasputin, floppy discs, limited edition sandwhich presses (both eletrical and manual), surgically removed hands, lower bowels and retinas, holy relics, John Cleese, novelty onions, carpet sampler booklets, plastic benches, Cilit Bang, and Scott Humphries Jr VIIIIIIX. These items, and many, many, many more, were to set the wee boy on a course that would determine the rest of his years.
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
That was quite possibly the lamest thing I've ever read.
I haven't got the actually dvd but ii$ was aired on a local tv sow called 10 to 12(name referred to the time it begins).

Very nice indeed i was looking through some channels and suddenly i saw him being interviewed by a dutch guy and i thought shit. Just in time to grab a tape with soaps from my mom and record it.

Although still a bummer cause it was like no more then 6km away from my house (live practically in amsterdam) so I could have seen it live i guess.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Really, Vai's stuff gets on my nerves. Incredibly cheesy and his vibrato seems nauseating.