The Gibson RD is a vintage supposedly hard to find guitar.
One of the first guitars to use active pickups they look like the bastard child of a explorer and a firebird. And i was wondering if anyone here owned one. And if they could share their experience with it.

Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
they are rare and to me beautiful gibsons. they were made in the 70's but discountinued. i say if u can get one get, i see about 2 or 3 on ebay all the time, anywhere from $500 to $2000
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Oh so that is what Dustin ( Thrice ) used in Stare At The Sun vid..

How much are they worth?

RDs, my sole Gibson crush.

The moog electronics positively stink make it sound like a mad buzzard gutting a live cat.
Rip em out and go with a standard LP wiring. Eventually slap in PAFs, not the contemporary high gain Duncans, but rather soft 70's, 80's DiMarzios.
Make great blues, rock, hard rock tone machines.

I thought the bridge micro-tuners were handy when I got my first RD, but they got in the way of palm muting. So out went the micro-tuner bridge.

They are heavy.
Neck is chunky with a bizarre flatty radius at the 12 fret, like a cross between a chunky LP standard at the nut and a Fretless Wonder at the neckjoint, notes ghosting out on high octave heavy bends. Not a big problem though, just a matter of right dosing.

RD's came out in the wrong era, late 70s when funk/disco put stratocasters back on orbit.
Thanks ColdGin!

I was hoping to get my hands on one of them before I really consider buying one.
But I know I won't have any luck at a Guitar Center or Sam Ash. Ebay is my only option.
How did you get yours?

EDIT: As pertaining to sound and wiring. I play just about everything. Blues mostly. But if i want to bust out some metal or whatever would the RD be capable of doing that?
Quote by jmag

Quote by Snowblindvictim
Thanks ColdGin!
How did you get yours?

Got my first RD Artist new, all blonde maple in 1982, discounted because some dude made a huge deep scratch in the back with his belt buckle while trying it at the shop where I bought it.

A second RD Artist, tobacco sunburst, I bought off some dude real cheap in 1990 who was raising cash for a PRS. RDs were really considered as dogs at that time.

Two more RDs, used, one black and another blonde, dirt cheap like $250, $350 off Ebay 5-6 years ago.

And finally a RD Artist bass 3 years ago, also on ebay. I litterally ripped it out of the hands of this dude selling it, the auction barely reached $300. He wouldn't ship it ! It took me 4 months talking it over with him and after he returned the money, before he finally offered it again for the same price, in need of cash.

EDIT: As pertaining to sound and wiring. I play just about everything. Blues mostly. But if i want to bust out some metal or whatever would the RD be capable of doing that?

Not a shred machine. Metallica ? sure. Nu metal ? why not. Shred ? very unlikely. It's a heavy mother. It reeks "classic Gibson", Black Crowes, Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Keep in mind the RD Artists pickups were specifically designed for use with the moog electronics. Once you rip out the moog compressor/expander and rewire them, they are trebly and lack definition. They remind me of mini-humbuckers but without the snap of '70s LP Goldtop mahogony. I think that's why they thought of adding some kind of compressor. More for a matter of dynamics than tone coloring. No heavy gain harmonics like contemporary Duncans or PRS dragons.
Dont worry about shredding i have another means for that ^_^
Im just worried about the electronics aspect of things.
Did you go with the Les Paul Wiring? Or did you just gut it completely?
Thanks for your time ColdGin
Quote by jmag

Quote by Snowblindvictim

Did you go with the Les Paul Wiring?

Yep. Keep it predictable.

Today I would even go with a Hamer wiring, neck/bridge-pu switch, 1 vol, 2 tone knobs.

If for whatever reason I had a workshop work on it, Id take the opportunity to replace the nut with a lubritrak.