Hi, I recently decided that I wanted to buy a new Peavey ValveKing 100 Head. However, the reviews on MusiciansFriend's website don't always convince me, so I hoped to get some feedback from real people who actually have owned one, or at least have played through one.

Any pros/cons are greatly appreciated
Well, I have played it and did not really like it. I do like peavey amps but did not really like this one. I do however like an amp with a very powerful distortion for my lead as well as a good clean. I am not really a person that prefers a tube or solid state amp. I go for the particular sound of the amp I am listening to. I have heard the Peavey xxl which sounds awesome but happens to be a solid state that does a fabulous job of emulating a good tube amp. You can read the reviews for this and any other product at harmony central or listen to sound clips on the peavey website. Anyway, I have also heard the XXX is a pretty good amp and that is tube. I would however reccomend getting a 4x12 speaker cab from avatar speakers where you can get a cab loaded with celestions or eminerce...whatever for under $400.00. Peaveys come with blue marvels which are ok but not that great. They are made by eminence and are ok like I said but now I am rambling. Anyway, check out the xxl and xxx. Hope you find what suits your needs.
I think the consensus would be that for the price of the VK head + cab, you could get a higher quality tube combo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have the 212 combo, it cleans are decent and so is the distortion at 3 or 4
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
umm ive got the valveking it awesome awesome cleans but if your into metal you would need a overdirve for a boost. buts its got good 80's metal tone
~My Gear~
ESP EX-50 (Dimarzio Steves Special in Bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Valveking 100
Boss TU-2
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Cry Baby From Hell
Squier Strat
Yeah I guess I forgot to mention my musical styles, I play Death Metal and Experimental Rock (kind of like Radiohead). Also, I wasn't planning on buying the cab just yet (I don't have the money) but I do have a shitty cab that will get me through until I have enough money for a really nice one.
well if you get it try out a bunch of overdrive pedals for it
~My Gear~
ESP EX-50 (Dimarzio Steves Special in Bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Valveking 100
Boss TU-2
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Cry Baby From Hell
Squier Strat
it has excellent cleans for what it costs. For its price tag is a very impressive amp. Changing the tubes will work wonders with it. Its not exactly death metal style distorsion but with a nice pedal, you can get it to sound very heav.

And ye, musiciansfriends reviews arent the most reliable
harmony centrals quite good though
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Peavey/Valveking+Head/10/1
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think the consensus would be that for the price of the VK head + cab, you could get a higher quality tube combo.

+1.

The other guitarist in my band has a VK head and cab, and I personally don't like it. It just doesn't have enough, punch, for me. (This is comparing to my JSX, though.).

It's a great amp if you're on a tight budget, but I reccommend saving up a little more and getting a decent combo.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way