Page 1 of 2
The reason why I play bass is when I was young, like real young, I went to abunch of underground band gigs where the music was loud as hell. I remember I always loved how the ground vibrated and it almost made you want to vomit from the awesomeness. When I was deciding what intrument to play, I really put alot of thought behind it. At first I was just thinking I would play electric guitar like everyone else but I didn't want to be just part of the crowd. Hell, everyone plays guitar but I still wanted to be noticed for whatever I did. Then I pretty much deciding between playing bass or drums and I new I wanted to be one day up on stage like those guys I saw at concerts banging their heads and doing crazy shit up on stage. Drums are great and fun but their all the way in the back and they can't do anything while on the stage except play. Bass was what I went with and I'm glad I did it. People want me in their bands at school and people I know at my local guitar shop want me too. Bass players are few and far between compared to guitar players so its hard to find a bass player, much less one thats good. I play heavy metal and alternative rock so now I get too be onstage and do the same things those people did when I was younger and I love being the loudest one up there and making people shake from under their feet. I refuse to play any softer than the lead guitar player unless its appropriate because I know friends who play bass and their bullied into playing the bass soft just because the guitarist has a big ego. I really don't like those kind of people, especially since its so easy to get a new guitarist because theirs so many of them.

Thats how I started playing bass and I also want to say I respect all instruments equally but there are people out their that are too ignorant also respect all types of instruments.
I honestly don't know what made me decide to play bass. I guess I just did. I played guitar for 2 years before I got my first bass. I love bass soo much more. It just feels more natural and just like "me." That's why I havn't touched my guitar in 2 months. Because bass is way better. I've now been playing bass for 2 years and love it.
Bass is my life.
I wanted to play guitar for years, but where I used to live there were no music shop within like 100 miles because I practically lived in a hole. About a year and a half ago I moved here and got a job really good student job and making good money. My money had other priorities, but I still always wanted to play guitar. So I thought about it and saving money with each pay for my "guitar bank". At first I wanted an electric guitar because of the awesomeness, thats until I saw Victor Wooten and started noticing the bass in Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto after checking some Guitar Pro tabs. I was amazed by slapping and the fast fingering. Even though electric guitar stands out a lot, too many people play it and not enough play bass. So my choice was made, I later bought a bass, making it my first guitar, took a couple of classes to learn the technique and reading and been playing at least an hour a day, everyday since October 2006 except if I have something really important to do for school. Yeah I'm still new and probably suck compared to most of the people here, but my passion is there and its all that counts. At least I'm better than a friend of mine... lets just say anyone can be better than him, he's been "playing" since like 3 years and he bought a Fender bass that he paid like 1000$ and he NEVER plays it and you could give a guitar to a dog and it would be better than he is. He can't play anything at all, he has trouble reading tabs and don't know a single thing about notation.
Last edited by Ranxston at Jan 14, 2007,
My beginning actually started when I decided to play the upright bass back in 5th grade because I thought it was the most manly instrument in the orchestra. Then when I quit orchestra after my freshmen year (9th), I attempted to play the acoustic guitar, but it sucked too much for me because I didn't like playing with a pick and wasn't used to playing chords. Then my birthday afterwards I got a bass as a present from my dad (he actually asked me if I wanted a 4, 5, or 6 string, and I said 5, but I got a 4 string anyways). Immediately I was familiar with it and its role and I just practiced and practiced, and for my next birthday I went and bought the 5-string, XD, and started thrashing. Now I'm almost graduating, so I've been playing bass guitar for about 3.5 years, and I had played upright bass for 5 years, so yeah.
Even though my tastes have "matured", I would say that hearing Fieldy and ryno? (bassist from mudvayne), made me want to play the bass.
My mom had gotten an electric bass while I was playing guitar. I messed around with the bass but was never really into it. Then, in 6th grade my school had a band class. I was going to learn drums but I then heard you can play electric bass in the class. After hearing that I picked it up and have played it for 3 years now. I'm digging it more then ever haha.
Well, I loved playing guitar. My dad saw that, and said since I liked guitar, I might also like bass, so he bought me a bass guitar. He thought I'd be like him and be able to play both.

Now I play both, but with guitar more. But I love playing either instrument.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
I've always been into music, but when I heard Black Sabbath - NIB, I first got interseted in bass. I found myself listening to alot of bass oriented music. The final push was when a friend of mine started learning the guitar, so I loaned a bass from a friend of a friend and after a few months I knew that bass is what I want to play.
I had tried to learn guitar whe I was about ten, but never got the hang of it and gave it, and then a few years later a lot of my friends played guitar and ere having fun, so I wanted to play an instrument too, just to fit in. I hadn't really known much about bass before, I remember only recently realising it existed, and figured that since it had four strings it would be easier to play than a guitar. So I got one, and dedicating myself to becomming good at it to beat everyone else, then I lost the attitude and just loved it as a bass. Summed up, I only started because I was immature and wanted to be better than everyone else.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I first started playing bass when i was in Vietnam. I was stranded, my whole platoon were dead. For two months i was surrounded and stuck. I carved up some wood and found some bamboo type material which i strung together in thin strands. I then connecteed this to the wood and tightened it up until they were all tuned relatively. In that two months stranded, i learnt to play bass and when i came back home and got my Purple Heart and met the President, i knew i had to take up bass. When the President asked me how he could possibly thank me, i said he can take his arse down to guitar center and get me a Marcus Miller and Stingray, and two packs of Elixirs. Btch.

And here we are.
I first started playing bass when i was in Vietnam. I was stranded, my whole platoon were dead. For two months i was surrounded and stuck. I carved up some wood and found some bamboo type material which i strung together in thin strands. I then connecteed this to the wood and tightened it up until they were all tuned relatively. In that two months stranded, i learnt to play bass and when i came back home and got my Purple Heart and met the President, i knew i had to take up bass. When the President asked me how he could possibly thank me, i said he can take his arse down to guitar center and get me a Marcus Miller and Stingray, and two packs of Elixirs. Btch.

And here we are.
I actually believed that until you reached 'Vietnam' and I remembered the pictures of you on your skydive, so you were too young
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Oh, how come I get starting play it? Can you imagine a girl never ever play any intrumental, and now she starts with bass? And join a band...(oh my god). Today, I decided to join with some friend to set up a band. lol. Maybe, I'm really crazy. lol
I just recently bought a bass guitar a couple weeks ago. I've been playing guitar for only about a year and a half and I have 3 guitars and I've always wanted to play drums but drum kits are expensive and I just suck terribly at having all my limbs do different things at once, so I bought a bass. I have recently started to appreciate the bass after listening to Beatles and Pink Floyd. Roger Waters isn't really a great bass player or anything but I like what Pink Floyd does with the bass (Gilmour played most of the great bass lines and stuff, like in the Animals album). I bought an Ibanez Soundgarden (I think that's what it is) and I love playing it. It's easier to pick up and play because alot of it is rhythm and if you have decent rhythm you can sound pretty good if you know where your root notes are. I learned how to play Have You Ever Seen The Rain by CCR and Breathe by Pink Floyd. I learned the beginning of Badge but I haven't tried much farther than that. I still have alot to learn but so far I'm really enjoying it. One reason I bought a bass was so I could get better with my rhythm for guitar, not to mention nobody plays bass so it's fun to be different.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I actually believed that until you reached 'Vietnam' and I remembered the pictures of you on your skydive, so you were too young

Note to self: Always use a recent war.

And here we are.

President...I thought you lived in the UK?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Picked up our Bassists Bass Friday and decided that I liked it, bought a Bass Saturday, sacked the Bassist Sunday and played my first gig following Friday.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by hatebreed219
President...I thought you lived in the UK?

I was tailoring it for my US cousins. The never went to Vietnam, nor do we give out purple hearts!
Quote by Applehead
I was tailoring it for my US cousins. The never went to Vietnam, nor do we give out purple hearts!

The neon mettalic green hearts are the shit!
Bass is my life.
I played guitar for a year or so, then mentioned to my parents that I was thinking about switching to bass. That Christmas, they struck. The rest....is history
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I wanted to play an instrument again - i used to play acoustic guitar in primary school but when the teacher left i lost interest. So 2 years or so ago i decided to buy an electric guitar. I tried teaching myself songs and i wasnt doing too badly- i just disliked it and disliked chords- not that they were too difficult. So i mentioned that i'd like a bass pack after my exams (GCSEs) and we went and got one. And i'm so glad i made the switch- i love playing bass, its been half a year now.
signature
My Inspiration - Primus

That and the fact that bass is the best instrument to ever be created.
i listened to calm like a bomb and i thought that was the coolest thing ever. ive been playin bass for 3 years now
well.. me and my friends wanted to start a band, and we didn't get far with it lol, so we have gone seperate ways musicial wise
when i was young. when ever i heard those teens at night blast there radios at night, i was always like, man, that is so cool. and i noticed that every in my school plays guitar, i wanted to stand out. so yea....
I like bass because bass is cooler than guitar, especially when you get an awsome solo :P

And I like it because I am the ONLY bass player at my school, and one of two in my city.

(Very small town, i know pretty much everyone.)
i originally played upright bass and i just loved the sound of bass that i decided that i should play electric bass too. Now i am more into electric then upright.
Quote by Applehead
Note to self: Always use a recent war.

Well I started playing guitar because my dad always wanted to learn and I just thought it was prett cool and would occupy all this free time I almost always have. I played for a year and was very intimidated but still it sort of took over. I decided to expand my playing and tastes and musical ability by playing bass and now I'm hardcore for both guitar and bass and want to be a luthier when I grow up.

I'll start taking custom (bass) guitar orders soon
One of my drummer friends needed a bassist for their church band, so she drafted me. I'm borrowing my schools bass.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
One day, I woke up and realised I was nobody, doing nothing important, and nothing interesting. I decided to **** everything and do what I wanted, which was to play music.

And, well, you can hear music, but you feel the bass. I wanted to touch people.

So. After the trial...
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Jan 14, 2007,
My friend got me start playing because his band needed a bassist, but i didn't really like being a bassist so i quit that band and started playing guitar, still play my bass now and then though, it's fun
My girlfriend at the time told me that she thought bassists were sexy, and I'd been wanting to play an instrument, anyway. So I told my dad, he broke out his acoustic Fender guitar, and I played that for about a month while waiting to pick up a bass from Sam Ash. Been playing for almost a year now.
Back in like 5th grade my friend got a guitar so I though I should pick up guitar and start a band. Never got the guitar. By about 8th grade I decided it would be better for me to get a bass. My friend showed me how to pick out notes on his guitar where I learned my first song, or at least different riffs to a song. Then I asked my parents for a bass for my birthday. I went to a local music store to show them which one I wanted and as I walk in there's just this guy in there ripping through a song and it blew my mind and I new that in a few years that would be me. Got it for my b-day and have been playing for a little over 2 years.
it's pretty simle how i started, my buddy played guitar and he said i should learn guitar and start a band but we didn't have a bass player so after a long argument i screamed fine and now 3 years later i'm really good and love the instrument
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
In November 2005, I got a guitar and my brother got a bass. I really enjoyed guitar and still do. My brother eventually got frustrated with bass for some reason and basically gave it to me. I was just kind of passively interested until I started listening to Necrophagist and watched videos of people playing crazy bass stuff. I figured I'd give it a shot and I've played since.
Quote by Greenday389
I honestly don't know what made me decide to play bass. I guess I just did. I played guitar for 2 years before I got my first bass. I love bass soo much more. It just feels more natural and just like "me." That's why I havn't touched my guitar in 2 months. Because bass is way better. I've now been playing bass for 2 years and love it.

haha. thats kinda like me

bak in freshman year my friend in study hall brought in a instrument magizine where u can order instruments and stuff.. he was looking for drums or something else to get for his bday and he said i should take up bass...and that it would suit me.
i thought about it for a couple of days then told my parents about it.
acouple weeks past...i eventually 4got about it sort of. then my dad came to me and asked if i was serious about getting a bass and i said ya..so we went to a good music place and got a fender combo package.
ive been getting lessons and loving bass ever since...at first it was frustrating..cuz i couldnt really play much. but now i love it and can play pretty good.
i started to b in a guitar class in september at my school.......i still prefer bass alot more than guitar. tho i did pick up on the 3 finger plucking technique from my guitar teacher (...using my ring finger) and its fun as hell to use it wen triplets or playing a riff like the solo in orion...

i remember the first riff i wanted to learn was the intro to "tonight's the night" by neil young and crazy horse...i was a big fan of them and eventho it wasnt exactly a great bass line....something about it. it just made me wanna play it.
i never did learn that song...

and it does sort of suit me cuz im reserved and kinda...laid bak most of the time.
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Jan 14, 2007,
Page 1 of 2