A band or single person who who changed the world and the idea of music. Who is a legend and would be remembered forever for the music ability and changing the world with music. Thats a musician of magnitude. I think its a pretty tough question.
Jimi Hendrix has influenced so many guitarists. Without him guitar playing may not be the same as it is today.
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
yeah i was thinking about those people but i think theres someone bigger
Quote by john21
A band or single person who who changed the world and the idea of music. Who is a legend and would be remembered forever for the music ability and changing the world with music. Thats a musician of magnitude. I think its a pretty tough question.

i didn't even see a question mark...
Quote by john21

not really. the classical composers have survived centuries...
Probably someone who has either:

1. Sold his soul at the crossroads in exchange for unlimited musical talent
2. Done more acid than all of the Beatles combined
or
3. Been a famous composer from the classical-ish era
Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson, The Beatles, Bach, Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Johnny Cash.
SPACE FOR RENT
Quote by john21

Jesus?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I know you are looking for an answer john21, so here's the kind of BS that I used to write for school:

I'm guessing there are also forms of traditional music that have come out of certain cultures and such. Like celtic, african, pre-classical european, traditional chinese musics, etc. And these styles probably have had their influences on modern music as well. And in these traditional forms of music there were probably notable individuals along the way. But you'd really have to research into it alot if you hope to learn something...and make any connections with modern music...In fact this seems like something a music major would study, am I right or no?

Edit: Oh yeah, Elvis...Maybe
Last edited by pyrochris at Jan 14, 2007,
no im not in any music major class. but im doing something for a person of magnitude for english. so i just got the idea. a musician
Quote by john21
no im not in any music major class. but im doing something for a person of magnitude for english. so i just got the idea. a musician

Bach.

seriously. he's survived 300 years and he is still a household name. Today, most people at least have heard of his name and many knows a tune or two by him. He is more famous than any other musician out there and his influence on music was huge. there's a reason why even many metal guitarists today celebrate his work.
Tony Iommi. Guitar playing wouldn't be the same as it is today if it wasn't for him.
I third Bach. But I would add Paganini as well.
[color="Red"][size="3"][B]   ___   __     __        
  / __\ / /    /__\ /\/\  
 / _\  / /    /_\  /    \ 
/ /   / /___ //__ / /\/\ \
\/    \____/ \__/ \/    \/
[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Member of "Genital Grinders", the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. "Embodiment" to join.
Zappa
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Its arguable that Dylan had a huge impact with lyrics in music. Just think of what the Beatles and the others were doing when 'Its alright ma, im only bleeding' arrived.
I'd second Bach aswell. He did do Fuge(sp?) in D minor right?
Hendrix, Elvis, Bach.

If I was doing it, I'd choose Hendrix, since I like his music.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY