Country music!

Since the option for a forum is preety much a no, this is a good a place as any for topics on this wonderful music. Classic, being that the older country is a lot better than this pop you hear today.

So, Waylon Jennings? Whose a fan? He's probably my overall favorite, at least he's who first sparked my interest in country music.
I'm with ya. Guitar is Guitar, regardless of which "genre" of music it comes from. So I can find music from any genre (that uses guitar) that I like. It also helps that I'm from Texas.
Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson are the real deal as far as country pickers go. Both are/were VERY good guitarists who played their music as well as sing. Unlike alot of country performers who I'm sure CAN PLAY, but generally just hold a guitar for looks in concert. (George Strait for example).
But make no mistake, some of the best pickers in the world are in Nashville. And anyone who won't give them a listen is missing out. One can learn alot by listening to different types of music.
How do you like Steve Earle? Not really a flashy picker, but I like his music.
And I think we need a country music forum. How can you exclude country or bluegrass music on a GUITAR forum?
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by EL Conquestidor
I'm with ya. Guitar is Guitar, regardless of which "genre" of music it comes from. So I can find music from any genre (that uses guitar) that I like. It also helps that I'm from Texas.
Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson are the real deal as far as country pickers go. Both are/were VERY good guitarists who played their music as well as sing. Unlike alot of country performers who I'm sure CAN PLAY, but generally just hold a guitar for looks in concert. (George Strait for example).
But make no mistake, some of the best pickers in the world are in Nashville. And anyone who won't give them a listen is missing out. One can learn alot by listening to different types of music.
How do you like Steve Earle? Not really a flashy picker, but I like his music.
And I think we need a country music forum. How can you exclude country or bluegrass music on a GUITAR forum?

I totally agree with ya. I really dont see Strait has being much of a player, but he sure can sing.

Steve Earle has been a big time favorite of mine for awhile, still rootin' it up with that outlaw country. I love Waylon's cover of "The Devil's Right Hand".
HOLY COW. Listen to this:

*Link removed*

Brad Paisley - Make a Mistake With Me (Instrumental). I love the way he handles the acoustic. Very tastefully done.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I like Steve Earle, Woody Guthrie, Hank Williams, Merle Travis, and Chet Atikins quite a bit. As far as modern country I have a respect for Paisley, but I can't listen to a lot of it.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
David Rawlings. He is fricking incredible. He is the guitarist for Gillian Welch. His playing is flat out amazing. If you get her DVD you his his style. A must have.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
^Just checked some of that stuff out, badass.

When it comes to modern country, I enjoy some of it, but not a lot of it. Obviousy I 'dig Paisley, and I like Keith Urban too (his older stuff, from the '90s , like The Ranch is top notch), but my big modern favorite is Brooks & Dunn. They are great, in my opinion.

Quote by element4433
the only country i like is johnny cash

I reccomend you check out Waylon Jennings, you'd probably enjoy him too.
I've always been into country, I saw Hank Williams Jr in concert the other weekend. Aside from the 2 guys i went with being rediculously drunk, and causing me to miss All My Rowdy Friends are Coming Over tonight. But I thought it was incredible

I also like Willie Nelson, David Allan Coe, George Jones, Hank Sr, Waylon Jennings, Merle HAggard and of course Johnny Cash.
As far as newer music goes, I'm really into Cross Canadian Ragweed, Shooter Jennings, Ryan Adams, Brad Paisley and Hank Williams III
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Quote by Liam Alan
David Rawlings. He is fricking incredible. He is the guitarist for Gillian Welch. His playing is flat out amazing. If you get her DVD you his his style. A must have.

Alright, i've been listening to her all day now.

I seriously cant get enough.
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Alright, i've been listening to her all day now.

I seriously cant get enough.

Yep, really good stuff. Pick up her Time (The Revelator) DVD it has live and some studio/music videos. It is awesome. Here is a clip from it.

Gillian Welch - "Time (The Revelator)"

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Anyone into Montgomery Gentry? You Do Your Thing, Some People Change=Great Songs
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Quote by eckmann88
Anyone into Montgomery Gentry? You Do Your Thing, Some People Change=Great Songs

Yeah, I've never heard a Mongomery Gentry song that I didn't like.
how are you gonna come
If you ever get a chance,check out Alan Jackson's cover of Hank Jr.'s "The Blues Man".
Awesome guitar!
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
If you ever get a chance,check out Alan Jackson's cover of Hank Jr.'s "The Blues Man".
Awesome guitar!

It's good, but I don't like it as much as Hank's version. Then again I hardly like any covers as much as the original.
how are you gonna come
Quote by Liam Alan

^ i agree they did alot of stuff w/ ryan adams who i just cant ever get enough of
Anyone here take up any traditional country instruments? I'm saving for a banjo.....
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Quote by eckmann88
Anyone here take up any traditional country instruments? I'm saving for a banjo.....

A friend of mine used to play mandolin professional in one of Buzz Buzby's bands. Buzby founded the Country Gentleman. I fiddled with it a bit. He was real good. I wouldn't mind that. I also woudln't mind the fiddle a bit but I would probably get frustrated since I have always had an it to play violin. Too much stuff to learn.

what about the vandals there good
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls