I have a STD Strat that I want to put new pickups in. I want noiseless ones as that hum bugs me, but I also want to keep the sound as close to a traditional sounding Strat as possible.

Which S/S/S pickups would work best for this?'

Fender Vintage Noiseless?
Fender Hot Noiseless?
Fender SCN's?
Dimarizo's?
EMG SA's?
Others?

Should I be looking at Ceramic or Alnico(sp?) magnets?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
A traditional sounding strat? What sort of music do you play? A vintage pickup is going to sound completely different than a much hotter one. The EMG SAs would likely require extra routing to be able to fit the battery somewhere into the guitar.
i would say look into lace holy grail noiseless and the fender noiseless ones
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
I can attest to the Vintage Noiseless being sufficiently awesome.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Well another way to get rid of the hum, or atleast decrease it is to shield the guitar!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well, what kind of music styles do you play?

go to the brands websites.. they usually have a tone guide on them..
My Rig.
Custom guitar with:
Hotrails (bridge), Cool Rails (neck)
Yamaha RGX 310 with Bareknukle Pickup.
AMP
CRISP 30w custom built amp
PEDALS
Chorus, Distortion, Noise gate, OS-2 and TU-2
Well I am a beginner and have a Hellraiser for metal, so would like to use the Strat for everything else as it's my main learning guitar, but probably mainly classic rock.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 14, 2007,
lace sensors really are good, but be careful as in my personal experience (red in bridge) it is not a traditional strat sound, more p-90 style or humbucker than single coil, although having said that i have seen a lot of reviews for other lace sensor pickups, such as the hot gold or blue, saying they deliver the traditional strat tone without the hum

check out harmony central for reviews, not just of lace sensors but all the different pickup manufacturers:

http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/
check out stephens design pickups www.sdpickups.com i have a set of mojos and they are great. they might not as vintage as you like but dave has lots of others options. they are expensive but not that much more than a set of fender texas specials.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Last edited by kanamvar32 at Jan 15, 2007,
I like warmer, fatter tones of the 70's over the vintage tones of the 50's & 60's. So I was thinking about Silver in my neck and mid and probably a Burgundy in the bridge. Or maybe a set of Hot Golds. I don't want a metal or hard rock guitar, something more for classic rock with warm fat tones, but still keeping a general Strat sound.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
yeah i like hot gold, neck, silver mid, red bridge.

they all sound pretty sweet. and none are out of strat range imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
duncan hotrails? (in the bridge)
i got them in my guitar.. (its a strat shape) and coolrails in the neck
and some thing more passive in the mid..
My Rig.
Custom guitar with:
Hotrails (bridge), Cool Rails (neck)
Yamaha RGX 310 with Bareknukle Pickup.
AMP
CRISP 30w custom built amp
PEDALS
Chorus, Distortion, Noise gate, OS-2 and TU-2
Quote by jj1565
yeah i like hot gold, neck, silver mid, red bridge.

they all sound pretty sweet. and none are out of strat range imo.

Couldn't agree more, as soon as I get the money I'm going to get the red-silver-blue set for the pure versatility, but I actualy might get a dually (red/red) in the bridge instead if I'm not satisfied with the red.
If you want a tradtitional strat sound I don't reccomend EMG SA's.

Quote by Buzz762
A traditional sounding strat? What sort of music do you play? A vintage pickup is going to sound completely different than a much hotter one. The EMG SAs would likely require extra routing to be able to fit the battery somewhere into the guitar.

Actually, the batttery fits nicely right next to the select switch so no routing is required.
Gibson Les Paul Classic w/Stetsbar
Fender MIM Strat w/ EMG DG20 System
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
I thought a Lace Red in the bridge would be too powerful and would get away from the Strat sound?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
it sort of does, in that a normal strat bridge can be fairly 'weak' (not really the right word, but best i could think of) when playing anything more than blues or soft rock. the red lace sensor still remains fairly stratty, but does beef up the bridge position a lot, still sounds very trebley, but unlike the normal strat pickup can handle distrotion a whole lot better (IMO), and again IMO, still sounds very good clean, and best of all no hum at all. the only reason i say to be cautious over the red lace sensor is that i have seen very mixed reviews about it, some people say that it is not 'stratty' enough for them, personally i love it, but as another option you could get a burgundy lace sensor in the bridge which i believe is like a halfway house between the red and a trditional strat bridge. having said that it depends a lot on where u live, i live in the U.K so getting any other colour than red, blue or silver is harder, but if u live in the U.S for example it would be relatively easy, (and cheap compared to the U.K) to get hold of a burgundy lace sensor

hope this helps

http://www.lacemusic.com/

Mike