What are your guys thoughts on the Metal Zone, how good/bad do you think it is?
And any specialspecs about it.
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Its horrible, can get ****ing sweet rhythm tone outta it, but then I goto play a lead and its horrible

tinny and dry...lifeless.....You get a dry tinny crunch with the gain down...and a fake artifical distortion with the gain up

I usually run it at half gain with my amps boost (lighter distortion) setting so it has a bit more life....then I turn the metal zone off and use just my amps boost for the lead

plus whatever I do with the knobs nothing sounds good except for this one setting I found....its been on that setting for months now...and Im not too pleased with it but it will do

Might be my gear and guitar which makes it so crap but thats just my opinion on the metal zone

Go for a EH Metal Muff, they have balls

(But I hear it works great if you have a Equalizer pedal)
Last edited by Canada911 at Jan 14, 2007,
I think it is a great pedal on tube and SS amps. Though I primarily play on tube amps and tend to set HIGH at 3'o'clock - LOW at full - and the mids both at 3'o'clock (on the pedal). I usually keep the distorion knob very low -- otherwise is sounds like a mess (especially on SS), but even very low it provides a heavy crunch (with mentioned setting). But if it is set wrong it can sound absolutely terrible. For reference, these settings are with a Gibson Les Paul Classic. -- However, if you don't have a good amp I'd suggest upgrading there first.
Last edited by 4regt4 at Jan 14, 2007,
I agree it all depends on the amp and guitar

Quote by thehardwayout
What are your guys thoughts on the Metal Zone, how good/bad do you think it is?
And any specialspecs about it.

What gear do you have???
Quote by Canada911
I agree it all depends on the amp and guitar

What gear do you have???

My s*** gear
-Ibanez Artcore AF75
-Epiphone PR-150VS
-Marshall MG10CD
-50watt Fender Champ
-Monster 12ft cable
Yeah, not that good.

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Well dont get your hopes up if your using it with the MG :p

duno about the fender

my local guitar store knows me and I bring my amp and guitar in to test stuff so I know exactly what im getting....mabye you should try that?

I mean who has a better opinion than yourself
Quote by thehardwayout
My s*** gear
-Ibanez Artcore AF75
-Epiphone PR-150VS
-Marshall MG10CD
-50watt Fender Champ
-Monster 12ft cable
Yeah, not that good.

If that Fender amp is one of the Solid States from the 70s or 80s I would imagine it sounds pretty darn good. I had a 20 year old 20 watt Solid State Fender amp that sounded amazing and the only SS I really liked the metal zone on (I could get a perfect "Rust in Peace" tone with that combination and my Gibson -- that's Megadeth if you don't know... -- I imagine 911 does with his avatar). I recently gave it away as a Christmas gift for my fiances nephew that started playing in Dec. (I kind of regret it).
Yea I can get sweet megadeth tones with that thing

You know how megadeths tone is kinda dry...I duno how to describe it but it works with the metal zone, easy to match anything on rust in peace....thats probably the only reason I still use it

what bands are you into hardwayout, your profile says Blink-182,Plus-44,Disturbed,MCR,Green Day

If so the metalzone isnt really for you hehe
Seriously pass on the Metal Zone. It will sound "great" to you at first because its new and different from what youre used to hearing on your own gear...but after awhile you'll just get tired of it.

The pedal is not versatile at all. Its either full on over the top gain or nothing at all. Very thin, scratchy, noisy, messy, sloppy, harsh sounding distortion.

Out of the many CRAPPY sounding "metal" pedals out there, these two are my personal favorites:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-ToneCore-Uber-Metal-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150389
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339
Quote by Canada911
Yea I can get sweet megadeth tones with that thing

You know how megadeths tone is kinda dry...I duno how to describe it but it works with the metal zone, easy to match anything on rust in peace....thats probably the only reason I still use it

what bands are you into hardwayout, your profile says Blink-182,Plus-44,Disturbed,MCR,Green Day

If so the metalzone isnt really for you hehe

It is true that the Metal Zone cannot do everything -- nor can any guitar or any amp (It sounds terrible on my Fender Strat -- combination is important as well). For me I really like it because I primarily like older thrash/speed metal and such, which it does great on SS and tube amps. To get the fuller tones like newer metal (and even newer Megadeth) I really think you need a tube amp (then the metal zone can help there too if the amp does not get good gain on its own -- this was the initial setting I offered). --- Though I do agree with 911 (even though it can do Green Day) -- The general music it sounds like you listen to wouldn't be best suited to the Metal Zone (I previously assumed you actually listened to/played metal).
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^ Same here. I TRIED to like it...just couldnt though...
I think every metal zone owner tired to like it at some stage
i know at the gates used it inconjuction with lots of other weird gear and such to get their sound on slaughter of the soul...
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well i was messing around with a mate's metal zone thru a crappy fender practice amp yesterday. We found that chucking a tubescreamer in straight after gave a really huge, full-bodied metal tone (think killswitch but minus the tight bass cuz the amp was shite!).

The metal zone had all it's knobs at 12oclock. The tubescreamer was a Keeley TS9 mod+ and had the drive at about 8oclock, and tone at 12oclock and the level at about 1oclock.

As I say, the resulting sound was really quite nice and chunky. When I go home I'll try it through the laney halfstack and I bet it will sound pretty awesome!
Just to throw something in here but a digitech metal master I heard is pretty versatile. Has anybody used or owned this pedal?
Through a good amp like an old JMP Marshall and used with a little restraint I think they (metal zone's) sound awesome.
^A 5150 owner saying that ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I thought the boss "meatel" zone was pretty bad to be honest.

IMO you get much better distortion out of an amp. Id save up sell ur marshall mg and buy a small tube amp. it will satisfy u much more.
Quote by bluespunkmetal

Maybe they just sound better with Gibson Les Pauls ? I do see a trend now...
Quote by metabolicmaggot
Just to throw something in here but a digitech metal master I heard is pretty versatile. Has anybody used or owned this pedal?

worse than the mt-2. woudnt recommend it..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by Canada911
Its horrible, can get ****ing sweet rhythm tone outta it, but then I goto play a lead and its horrible

tinny and dry...lifeless.....You get a dry tinny crunch with the gain down...and a fake artifical distortion with the gain up

I usually run it at half gain with my amps boost (lighter distortion) setting so it has a bit more life....then I turn the metal zone off and use just my amps boost for the lead

plus whatever I do with the knobs nothing sounds good except for this one setting I found....its been on that setting for months now...and Im not too pleased with it but it will do

Might be my gear and guitar which makes it so crap but thats just my opinion on the metal zone

Go for a EH Metal Muff, they have balls

(But I hear it works great if you have a Equalizer pedal)

no wonder why the metal zone sounds crap. your using an ashton amp.
that specks for its self.
My Rig.
Custom guitar with:
Hotrails (bridge), Cool Rails (neck)
Yamaha RGX 310 with Bareknukle Pickup.
AMP
CRISP 30w custom built amp
PEDALS
Chorus, Distortion, Noise gate, OS-2 and TU-2
^Whats a speck?
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
nah i own a heavy metal (OLD) boss pedal, Digitech metal master and ive played the metal zone. i like the digitch metal master the most. every thing's amazing about it
I don't like as i lay dying
Quote by metalcorehero
no wonder why the metal zone sounds crap. your using an ashton amp.
that specks for its self.
Ive used it about twice on a mesa, and many times on a kustom and ashton

obviously it was decent on the mesa but still not at all versatile
i have one and it sounds great,eespecially with my tubescreamer.it has great eq options
I hear the MT-2 with the Keeley Mod sounds F**cking awesome
Member No.3 of The 'I Watched Dragonball Z and Vegetas Scouter said my power level is over 9000 Club'
PM redh0tchilip3pp or rizo299 to Join

Co-Founder of the 'Magikarp was blatantly the best Pokemon' Club
PM me to join
I like my Metal Zone.. when i use it with my Compressor and EQ. Never on its own aha. And only on my Vox, not my JSX :P
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by bluespunkmetal

heh heh, Odviously theres no comparison coz the 5150 is the best metal amp in existence ever but If I had to choose a pedal as the pre-amp Id go for a Metal zone. It depends massivley on how its set up and what amp its used with.
that boss meatal zone of yours don't have enough meat on it. just skin and bones,
i - don't - like - it
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I got mine for like $30 off ebay, and I wish I would have gotta a capo and slide instead xD
Quote by 4regt4
If that Fender amp is one of the Solid States from the 70s or 80s I would imagine it sounds pretty darn good. I had a 20 year old 20 watt Solid State Fender amp that sounded amazing and the only SS I really liked the metal zone on (I could get a perfect "Rust in Peace" tone with that combination and my Gibson -- that's Megadeth if you don't know... -- I imagine 911 does with his avatar). I recently gave it away as a Christmas gift for my fiances nephew that started playing in Dec. (I kind of regret it).

It is an SS model. It doesnt have gain so thats why i was guna by a Distortion pedal

Quote by Chuck Norris