Yeah I know everyone is going to say Gibson, obviously! I was planning on buying a Gibson Les Paul Studio soon ($999.99 at Guitar Center http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_les_paul_studio_electric_guitar?full_sku=101392843) but I was wondering this is a pretty decent amount of money for me, and it'll be my second guitar. Should I just get an Epiphone model; half the price, but is it a huge diffrence? I really love the sound and feel of the Les Paul Studio... so any suggestions?
Unless you get a very good high end Epiphone, then you'd probably be best off with the Gibson. Also, DO NOT get an Epiphone LP Studio or Junior or something ebcause they suck compared the Standard's and custom's. Epiphone LP Custom's are awesome guitars, and are IMO better than the Gibson LP studios.
Well what are the major diffrences? Why do they suck?

And too bad a Gibson LP Custom is way out of my price range...
I kind of want the brand name and 1000 dollars isn't a bad price, but if I can get the same guitar for half the price why not? I mean I suppose I could go try out both...

But everything sounds better in the store...

Oh and you have an Epi Les Paul Studio...
Last edited by Gigatiran at Jan 14, 2007,
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Body - Carved maple top, Mahogany back

Neck/Profile - Mahogany/'59 Rounded Les Paul

Fingerboard/Inlay - Rosewood/Pearloid trapezoid

Scale/Nut Width - 243/4 inch - 111/16

Bridge/Tailpiece - Tune-o-matic/Stop bar

Hardware - Gold

Pickups - 490R Alnico magnet humbucker / 498T Alnico magnet humbucker

Controls - Two volume, two tone, three-way switch

Strings - Les Paul Signature .009-.046

Finish - Wine Red , Ebony , Pewter , Blue Teal Flip Flop

Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty (Even better than the custom!)

Classic pickups

Mahogany neck and body

Carved maple top

22-fret rosewood fingerboard

Cream binding on body, fingerboard, and headstock

Block pearloid inlays

As you see, guitar wise, the hardware is the same, and the electronics on a LP studio and the LP Black Beauty are just as good as each other. Black Beauty is hundreds cheaper, and is just as good/better than the LP Studio.

When I tried a LP studio at my local store, I hated it, it just didn't sound good, then when I played the Epiphone, it was much better. And it's a much nicer guitar too.
Hmm... I don't really like the look of a Black Beauty, sure it's an awesome guitar... but it's not me (I hate gold hardware). I'm just gonna have to go to the store and try out everything. Thanks, I'll definatley try it out though.

It's gonna be some sort of Les Paul though, I hate my strat.
Gibson for the win,you gibbon.

Just kiddin with the gibbon,lol
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Gigatiran
Hmm... I don't really like the look of a Black Beauty, sure it's an awesome guitar... but it's not me (I hate gold hardware). I'm just gonna have to go to the store and try out everything. Thanks, I'll definatley try it out though.

It's gonna be some sort of Les Paul though, I hate my strat.

Since you don't like gold hardware, you could compare the LP Studio to the EPi LP PStandard Plus-TOP and see how it compares, as Plus-Tops are good Epi's.
AdamDK: STFU.

Actully the Gibson LP Studio is better, just make sure you find a good one. I have an awesome Gibson LP Studio from '98 and it eats Epi Customs for breakfast. They don't use the same hardware, the Epi uses cheaper hardware. Plus the body is a mahogany/ alder isntead of a mahogany body. Also the Gibsons has better pups (the bridge is ok, bot that special, neck pup is very good though) while the Epi doesn't have as good pups. Basically any Gibson from Studio and up is good. And if your looking at a Studio check out the Epiphone Elititist, theyre very good!

Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
AdamDK: STFU.

Actully the Gibson LP Studio is better, just make sure you find a good one. I have an awesome Gibson LP Studio from '98 and it eats Epi Customs for breakfast. They don't use the same hardware, the Epi uses cheaper hardware. Plus the body is a mahogany/ alder isntead of a mahogany body. Also the Gibsons has better pups (the bridge is ok, bot that special, neck pup is very good though) while the Epi doesn't have as good pups. Basically any Gibson from Studio and up is good. And if your looking at a Studio check out the Epiphone Elititist, theyre very good!

I'm talking about the high end Epi's.. The Les Paul studio's now are almost like low end Gibson's.

High End Epi's > Low End Gibson's anyway.

Plus you have a '98 Les Paul Studio - Gibson weren't as bad back then, but now, the newer Les Paul's suck compared the old ones.
Obviously you get the Gibson if you can afford it...

Guitars with the same specs are not necessarily the same quality. You're looking at better quality materials and construction.

And, of course, the "Gibson" brand on the headstock is a hell of a lot more impressive than "Epiphone". :p
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
AdamDk: Well yes thats the Epi Elitists, but the normal Epiphone Custom still uses bad hardware, bad pups and doesn't have the full mahogany body. And by low end Gibsons i refer to the Specials and faded (minus the Standard Faded, which is awesome). Studios do not always suck. the problem with Gibson is that their quality control is sloppy, but search around and youll find some really good nes (for and example i tried a White LP Studio and it was an awesome guitar).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well, he/she is best to try out the Studio at the store, and compare it to the Epiphone's there to see which is better, to ensure he/she doesn't pick up a bad Studio.
^Yeap, thats the best.

And as said check out the Epi Elitist, theyre apperently great.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Also, threadstarter, if you decide to buy an Epi, you should have money left over to buy a few FX pedals. Whta kind of amp do you have?
Epiphone has a maple veneer top (Its thinner). Gibsons have the full 3/4 maple top.

Epiphones have worse pickups.

Epiphones are generally heavier than gibsons as well.

Lower grade mahogny for their bodies.

Cheaper electronics.

Etc.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Quote by Guitar-freak
Epiphone has a maple veneer top (Its thinner). Gibsons have the full 3/4 maple top.

Epiphones have worse pickups.

Epiphones are generally heavier than gibsons as well.

Lower grade mahogny for their bodies.

Cheaper electronics.

Etc.

Yeah but some Gibsons are sloppily made, and have problems with them after a while. The dude's best to check them out himself, that's what I say.
Despite what alot of people are saying, the number of these "defunct" gibsons must be really low as I've never encountered a gibson requiring more than a 5 min adjustment to make it play beautifully. And I don't even come across that kind too often.

As for the epiphone quality control, i can promise you that it is several shades worse than that of the gibson factory. Most epiphones require a lot more than 5 minutes to make them play good. And then there's the sound, overall quality of the wood, pickups etc etc.

Buying an epiphone LP custom and buffing it up to the standards of a gibson would require some serious cash, not to mention the time it would take.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
But the Gibson Studios around now aren't a patch on the '90's studios. Seriously, an Epiphone LP Custom/Elitest has a strong chance of being better than the Studio he tries out.
I haven't felt a difference between the 90s studio's and todays studios. They play just the same IMO.

As for the tone being different, its just the same. They're made with the same materials, same electronics etc.

If this QC critique really is correct, which i firmly believe its not, its still just some minor adjustments required, like action adjustment and fret filing. No biggy.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I've got a Epi Les Paul Custom Chrome.. It's got chrome hardware instead of gold (I didnt like gold too, it's ugly). It's a ltd edition but it isn't that expensive. I doubt whether they're still being sold but when you find one, go for it.