I've been playing guitar for a little while now and i'm finally ready to take it seriously. Unfortunatly lessons are out of the question because the only time that i'm not in school or working is the late nights, oh and i'm flat broke. I was wondering if any of you guys had an idea as to what i could do to get better and hopefully eventually join a band. Thanks.
just play guitar whenever you're not doing anything else, even when you ae supposed to be doing something else :p

just mess around with it you'll get better
There's loads of lesson and tutorial videos on the net. I'd suggest going through the entire steal this video series on this site. Also try searching youtube and google video
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
yeah i forgot to mention that i have dial up internet, so steamed videos are very hard to access.....as for books, which kind of books? i was kinda looking at the troy stenia series. i think its metal lead and rhythm guitar books.
try playing around with scales. your fingers will get used to it and in no time you'll get better.
Research proper form, you know, holding the guitar, right hand position(baseball bat,clasicial),holding a pick, alterante picking.
Hmm...i wrote that assuming you are right handed.

One of the more valuable things i think you could learn are the notes on your guitar fretboard. Knowing where the notes are on your guitar makes learning scales a breeze.
epic7734
just research and try to observe every videos you are watching and prctice and practice and practice.. this is what i did when im still a beginner, i learned to play guitar by myself, and now i very much comfortable in guitar,

Research
Observe
Understand
Learn
Practice

remember that the music world is very unlimited there are are waiting for you to learn. so practice practice and more practice and of course.. learn
do my advise and u can get better.. =) aryt?
My gear:

Ibanez RGR320EX
BOSS DS1 MODDED
BEHRINGER DD100
CHORUS
EQ

LINE 6 SPIDER III 75 WATTS