hey guys,
are tube amps really not worth it since iv herd that the sound is different depending on what room you have it in? and is it hard to find tubes so u can replace them in Australia?
I love my Marshall tube.

Yes.

Er, anyway yeaa they sound beyond words at high volumes. Not heard of that thing about the sound being different depending on the room but i'll soon find out when my DSL goes through its first gig. It can't be bad if it is there because they are so popular. Plus they sound alot louder than SS amps I woulden't think you'd have trouble getting tubes/valves over there but you should know more than me i'm in the UK.

Cheers.
Tube amps are worth every penny, except for ashton ones, the sound great, its up to you to make it sound even better. Tubes shouldnt be that hard to replace in Australia, just bring it to a shop and they'll take care of it.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
ANY sort of audio system (home theatre, amps, car audio etc.) will sound different based on acoustic features and room/cabin shape/size. At any rate... Tube amps are in a way "real" amps -- notice that every solid state amp claims "tube tone" or has some way to try and emulate it... A tube amp will do a better job of allowing your guitar sound like it is supposed to sound. Bottom line is, yes they are worth it, but not all tube amps are alike (so research must be done). However, with the ability to re-tube, you have some additional means to customize the amps overall tones to your personal tastes.
Last edited by 4regt4 at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by sofubar
I love my Marshall tube.

Yes.

Er, anyway yeaa they sound beyond words at high volumes. Not heard of that thing about the sound being different depending on the room but i'll soon find out when my DSL goes through its first gig. It can't be bad if it is there because they are so popular. Plus they sound alot louder than SS amps I woulden't think you'd have trouble getting tubes/valves over there but you should know more than me i'm in the UK.

Cheers.

nice amp you got there

but TS as for saying it will sound different in a different room, this is true to a certain extent, as you have to take the rooms acoustics and sound absorbance into account

but my dsl hasnt failed to get me a tone ive wanted yet, i could never go out and buy a solid state amp after owning this
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
i though the sound changes because of temperature more than acoustics. Is this Correct?
Do tube amps generally sound good at low volumes (for practicing purposes with other people in the house)?
depends man, tubes sound better when you drive them more, so when you push a 5 watter it'll sound good in the bedroom.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Quote by SeanG
Do tube amps generally sound good at low volumes (for practicing purposes with other people in the house)?

Amp...low volume? Is this a trick question...? Just kidding. You cannot get a "tube" tone at low volumes if that is what you are asking. You'd be best off with a small SS for practicing (Microcube perhaps) and using a tube amp for live stuff or recording (or real band practice etc.)
Last edited by 4regt4 at Jan 14, 2007,
Tube amps have superior tone. That's an established fact. But whether they are worth the current market prices is a whole other question. They have a high perceived value, so the manufacturers are able to price them high above their actual value.

What most people don't realize is that vacuum tubes are obsolete technology. In fact, there are very few places in the world still producing tubes/valves. The only people still using tubes are guitarists and the military. Most guitar amp tubes being sold now come from Russia and China, where they are produced specifically for export to the West. (Sovtek stands for Sovetskaya Tekhnika, which means Soviet Technics)

To the large corporations, solid state technology is simply more profitable. And while the supply of tubes should be ok for the next little while, it's something to consider.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by Armored Artist
Tube amps have superior tone. That's an established fact.

Erm.....No.
It's an established fact that valve amps have better 'tone' than SS amps? You're pulling these 'facts' out your arse.

IMO 'Synyster Gates' manages to sound like shit through a Bogner Uberschall, whereas Dimebag sounded incredible through a Randall Century. It's a crap example i know because there are so many variables, but all this fact business you're talking about is BS there are some amazing SS amps out there that shit all over various valve amps.
Last edited by codybcool at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by striker327
yes but which wins if u were to get the best of both, SS and tube

I swear to God most of you people are idiots. There is no 'best' of either. The way people perceive 'tone' is different for everyone, in which case neither would 'win'. How can one amp win over another anyway? They're inanimate objects.
Quote by codybcool

I swear to God most of you people are idiots. There is no 'best' of either. The way people perceive 'tone' is different for everyone, in which case neither would 'win'. How can one amp win over another anyway? They're inanimate objects.

yeah, your right, i really like syn's tone, it obviously does nothing for you

however i prefer tube tone to ss, solid state just sounds digital to me
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
Last edited by tommyt at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by codybcool
It's an established fact that valve amps have better 'tone' than SS amps? You're pulling these 'facts' out your arse.

'Synyster Gates' manages to sound like shit through a Bogner Uberschall, whereas Dimebag sounded incredible through a Randall Century. It's a crap example i know because there are so many variables, but all this fact business you're talking about is BS there are some amazing SS amps out there that shit all over various valve amps.

Ok there, buddy. I'm willing to agree that tone is subjective and some people prefer SS, but something is telling me that you're just looking for an argument. Not gonna happen.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

I'm not trying to start up an argument, i'm just mentioning that to say it's a fact valve amps are better than SS amps is complete and utter rubbish; when it comes to what sounds better and opinion there are no facts.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go here and i know i come across as an utter wanker but this is becoming a big problem on these boards. People are just immediately dismissing some incredible solid state amps and saying "you need a decent valve amp" becuase that's what they've read on this forum.
Last edited by codybcool at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by striker327
i herd u can achieve bigger tone on Vavle amps is this true

ive found that tubes gennerally have a warmer and fuller tone than solid state amps, thats in my experience anyway
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22

Quote by daeqwon10000
My Laney LC30II valve amp doesnt sound good at all at low volumes. (below 1)
However, it still sounds better than all the transistor amps when its turned low
Once its cranked up it kicks ass though! My 30 Watt is about as loud as a 100W transistor amp too. woo!
I wouldn't recommend getting a valve amp for people who want a sharper, more modern tone though. Valves arent for everyone.

^^^ And yes, In my experience the tone on a valve amp is much better
well, i think any amp solid state or valve sound better up loud, however i wouldnt mind one of those valve amps where u can switch a selector to only use 15 watts so then u can run the valves hot to get the tone
Tube amps are great, honestly, I like them better than SS amps....the tone is just more superior!

Although, you need to try them out yourself...you can't really ask others on the internet for an opinion on what you want to buy...yet you can ask for advice. You really need to try them out yourself.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I think the thing about Solid State is that it gets a bad reputation from all the cheap practice amps everyone starts out with like Crates, Squiers, and Marshall MG's...
Go play a Randall Warhead or even the new V2 or T2,
or an old Madison Solice(i think that was the name).
or a "real" solid state.
They are a lot tighter and articulate than their comparable tube amps, of course this is speaking in terms of high gain, if you're looking for cleans, check out a Roland Jazz Chorus.

+

for all the "My DSL is great!" I have to disagree. I've played multiple JCM 2000's and even an orignal JCM900 and I have to say neither were all that... The JCM 2000 is pretty lifeless (yes I was playing with volume around 8, so don't give me the "crank it" excuse) and the 900 sounds tinny and thin.
I'd take the aforementioned Randall Warhead over the Marshalls any day of the week.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
I think the thing about Solid State is that it gets a bad reputation from all the cheap practice amps everyone starts out with like Crates, Squiers, and Marshall MG's...
Go play a Randall Warhead or even the new V2 or T2,
or an old Madison Solice(i think that was the name).
or a "real" solid state.
They are a lot tighter and articulate than their comparable tube amps, of course this is speaking in terms of high gain, if you're looking for cleans, check out a Roland Jazz Chorus.

QFT

I happen to be someone who prefers Solid State to tube amps (although my power amp is tube). I'm not talking about solid state modeling amps--I don't like tube sound. If this makes any sense: They sound sonically sloppy to me.
Quote by Striketalonx

for all the "My DSL is great!" I have to disagree. I've played multiple JCM 2000's and even an orignal JCM900 and I have to say neither were all that... The JCM 2000 is pretty lifeless (yes I was playing with volume around 8, so don't give me the "crank it" excuse) and the 900 sounds tinny and thin.
I'd take the aforementioned Randall Warhead over the Marshalls any day of the week.

Only time I heard a JCM2000 sound lifeless was with the hello Kitty strat plugged into it. I'm curious to try the Randall now though, if it sounds so much better by comparison.

Although if you consider a good marhall stack to be "lifeless" turned up to 8, you're probably deaf. Lot's of guitarists are, it's an occupational hazard. My brother and I keep earplugs in the rehearsal room, and always plug our ears at gigs. My friend who I'm trying to get to colaborate with us on an EP has permanant loss in one of her ears from playing drums in a metal band.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Jan 14, 2007,
No one is saying ALL tube amps are better than ALL solid state amps.
But I can safely say that tube amps sound much better for what I play than solid state amps. Solid states usually sound a lot more modern.
Quote by striker327
well, i think any amp solid state or valve sound better up loud

That's just plain wrong mate. While it's true that some SS amps (i've found this with cubes) tend to sound crap stupidly quiet, if you wind up a valve and a solid state amp up full next to each other, the valve amp will retain it's tone better, while the SS amp will start to sound really bad.

I agree with cody on the tube vs SS thing. Listen to the man, he knows his stuff :snyper:
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music