I am a beginner, only been playing 3 months, and don't have chords or 5th's down yet, still working on those. What I am looking for are good, and easy, single note metal guitar rifts that I will recognize and that will sound good on my new Hellraiser. Already know the Top Gun theme, but want something with more of a metal sound than that. Any recommendations?

Of course I am still practicing my chords and 5th's, but want to add some well known single note rifts to my practice so if friends do come over, at least I can play somthing cool.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Last edited by Staz80 at Jan 14, 2007,
Iron Man
Crazy Train intro riff shouldn't be too hard if you work on it
Enter Sandman Intro
harvester of sorrow clean bit (metallica, ...and justice for all)
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
some dodgy russian acoustic (accord or something)
marshall valvestate 8080 w/foot switch
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
Poser.

Metal requires chops, and you can't seem to power chord. Learn your stuff, practice and practice and again and give it another go and riffs soon.
Some really heavy stuff?
Megadeth symphony of destruction (Not as heavy as they get but you'll recognisie it)
Slayer Raining Blood
and some more i'm too lazy to think
To the best of my knowledge...
Iron Man uses 5ths.
Crazy Train and Enter Sandman use a mix of single notes and chords.

All are good recommendations, but I am really looking for PURE single note rifts. I guess I can "dumb-down" the above recommendations to just single notes, but was wondering if there are any good rifts that use only single notes to begin with?

And I am taking lessons, every week. Just finding it hard to pick up chords and 5ths.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by Staz80
Iron Man uses 5ths.

All are good recommendations, but I am really looking for PURE single note rifts. I guess I can "dumb-down" the above recommendations to just single notes, but was wondering if there are any good rifts that use only single notes to begin with?

And I am taking lessons, every week. Just finding it hard to pick up chords and 5ths.

just learn the singl note plm muted bit of the intro before it gets to the chuggin it ith the chords
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
just practice those suggestions slowly until your fingers get used to it.

that's what we all had to do.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
If you want to play metal you MUST learn to play power chords! Power chords are really easy coz once you've got the basic shape you can just move it up and down the fret board.

If you want a good metal riff consisting of mostly single notes check out Metallica - Seek & Destroy
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Staz80
Iron Man uses 5ths.

Iron Man has a sinngle note riff in it, and at the start of Enter Sandman it is a single rote riff. The powerchords come later. Crazy Train is a single note riff for the intro,
Spider riff from master of Puppets.

and what you have
Schecter Hellraiser
Fender STD Strat
Takamine Acoustic
Crate VTX200S
Vox DA5

and can't play 5ths?
Loser.
try electric funeral (black sabbath) its simple one note at a time riff and sounds awsome
ibanez rocks
Metallica-Jump In The Fire intro. It's bad ass and will get you into crawling up the strings instead of just staying on one string.

Megadeth-Holy Wars intro.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Quote by Staz80
Iron Man uses 5ths.

OMG HARVESTER OF SORROW CLEAN BIT IS A FUKING SINGLE NOTE RIFF!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------3--2---------5--3--2----------3-2--------0---------0------------------
------2-------------2-----------------2-----------0------------------------
---0-------------0-----------------0-----------3----------1-----------------
go to www.xsao.net then go to rock then find "and justice for all" by metallica and the song harvester of sorrow to play along to (well the clean and distorted bits anyway)
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
It may sound a bit stupid...
But you need practice chords over and over since most metal songs use power chords. It isn't that difficult. Just try to play smells like teen spirit. I know it ain't metal but it's the ideal song to practice power chords.

There's no metal riff without power chords
That was uncalled for LiquiWizard. I might have decent stuff, but that doesn't make me a better player. I welcome input towards my question or getting better, but calling me a looser because I can't play 5ths yet just reflects more on your character, or lack of.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Sorry ledcaveman, I was typing out a reply to an earlier post when you posted your reply. Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking for.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by Staz80
That was uncalled for LiquiWizard. I might have decent stuff, but that doesn't make me a better player. I welcome input towards my question or getting better, but calling me a looser because I can't play 5ths yet just reflects more on your character, or lack of.

+1 yeh just cos someone's a beginner dont mean u can take the piss!
u're probably so cheap u havent even got a string
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
Quote by Staz80
Sorry ledcaveman, I was typing out a reply to an earlier post when you posted your reply. Thanks, that's exactly what I am looking for.

WOOO! i was helpful
gear:
Gibson Sg special faded
esp/ltd v-250
marshall mg 10cd
boss ds-2
behringer eq700
morley bad horsie 2
Quote by Staz80

true enough, but i kinda get the feeling your trying to run before you can walk, honestly take the time, get a chord vocab going, use your acoustic as ittl help you with finger strength and then you wont have to restrict yourself like you do right now
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
ledcaveman........kudos for backing Staz80 up, but that was a lame call man lol seroiusly
My Gear:

Electrics:
Ashton AG132
Ibanez GSZ-120 SV
ESP LTD 351-D

Electric Amps:
Ashton GA100
Fender Mini Deluxe

Member of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only
Learn to play powerchords. Also most metal single note riffs arnt very easy for beginners (Jump in the Fire, Holy Wars intro).

Try Breaking the Law, the beggining is single notes.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Judas Priest- Breaking the Law. Awesome riff, and I think you could learn the chords on that one, because they are playeed one by one, really slowly
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
hmm, might have to try that JP song.

My short and chubby fingers are making it harder, and thus slower, to learn 5ths and chords, but I keep practicing. Songs that use them, but not very quickly, like the JP song Joey Radical recommended, might be do-able.

And my guitar instructor doesn't have be doing power chords yet. He just wants me to focus on regular chords and 5th's, but also told me to try Enter Sandman, the first half of the song, so that plus scales is what I have been practicing lately.

But like any typical american, I also want to practice cool sounding stuff. Might just be my ADD kicking in...
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
5ths are power chords!
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
5ths are power chords!

I thought they were 2 different things???

Either way, I am still struggling with them, but they are slowly getting easier. Patience isn't one of my virtues.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by Staz80
I thought they were 2 different things???

Either way, I am still struggling with them, but they are slowly getting easier. Patience isn't one of my virtues.

if your serious about guitar its going to have to become one
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Also you could try putting your guitar into drop d. This means you can play powerchords with one finger (as double stops).
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I can see you're trying to learn theory as you're calling powerchords 5ths and are trying out chords, this is a good thing to have under your belt for later stuff.
But when you aren learning kick ass metal! Take some time to learn some easier 5th stuff such as Nirvana's smells like teen spirit which has been suggested, maybe some punk I know anti-flag's the press corpse is a nice easy song with a lot of 5ths and a singe note bit.
Also for chords, I suggest some things by Tenacious D Like tribute and wonderbo, wonder boy uses single notes but if you play those single notes whilst your fingers are in the shapes of the chords it is easier. Also try the animals' House of the Risinsg Sun thats nice and easy for chords.