Hi

Would i be better off getting a combo or a head?

I have decided on an ENGl screamer.

Would I get more sound of having a combo and then exteding it with a 2*12 when i want to or should i stick with a head?

Spanks

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
I think the general thing is heads are useful because they are smaller than combos and when gigging you can just plug it into the venues PA. While combos are alot more plug n' play. Combo's can be plugged into a venues PA as well though or mic'd.

Cheers.
If you're gigging then I'd recommend the head. It's a lot easier to manage, especially if you can use some one else's cab.
if you have the cash for the head and cab, seriously consider the blackmore instead. the blackmore kicks all kinds of ass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you have the cash for the head and cab, seriously consider the blackmore instead. the blackmore kicks all kinds of ass.

I have heard soundclips of the Blackmore and i prefered the sound of the Screamer. But thanks anyway. Also 100watts seems abit extreme tbh, im only gonna be playing small-meduim gigs so....

The amps itself has several speaker outs on it, would i not be better getting the combo and then using an extension cab if it need it?
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
^ Play them, sounds clips don't mean much. You might like the Blackmore more when you try it.

I've always thought a Head and a cab is the best option. You don't need a big cab, something like a 2x12 would do fine. That way you choose what speakers you get.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^ as TGM says, soundclips mean jack shit. for all you know, they've eq-ed it in a way of which you would never dream, before you even get into how they were recorded.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its not just that, Its the fact that they are illusive and I doubt there are any places around me that will have one avalible to try.

I have tried the the thunder and that was nice so...
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
^ i haven't tried the thunder, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From a purely mechanical standpoint the head will perform better over time. Combos are a torture chamber for tubes. If you have the choice to make, head+cabinet is the way to go.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i haven't tried the thunder, lol.

It is f***ing loud!!!

I Prefer the screamer though. Sounds better.

Ill probably get the ENGL 212 or probs something with celestions in it
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by Mudder
From a purely mechanical standpoint the head will perform better over time. Combos are a torture chamber for tubes. If you have the choice to make, head+cabinet is the way to go.

It's not so bad as I make it sound. With a combo you would be replacing tubes more often than a head, but that's all. Lots of excellent vintage amps out there, none are heads.
Quote by Mudder
From a purely mechanical standpoint the head will perform better over time. Combos are a torture chamber for tubes.

Why?
Quote by mr_hankey
Why?

Speakers make noise by moving back and forth very quickly. If youve ever sat on a combo amp that was cranked and hit a down tuned palm muted note...then youll know what I mean. The amp shakes like crazy when the speakers are attached.

edit- And yeah, if you think about it...putting a head on top of a cab doesnt sound like it would be much better...but at least you have little rubber feet that keep the head from vibrating too much. If I set something like my cell phone on top of my Triple Recto and crank it...my cell shakes off after awhile lol.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Speakers make noise by moving back and forth very quickly. If youve ever sat on a combo amp that was cranked and hit a down tuned palm muted note...then youll know what I mean. The amp shakes like crazy when the speakers are attached.

edit- And yeah, if you think about it...putting a head on top of a cab doesnt sound like it would be much better...but at least you have little rubber feet that keep the head from vibrating too much. If I set something like my cell phone on top of my Triple Recto and crank it...my cell shakes off after awhile lol.

But a cab will usually have more or bigger speakers than a combo, which means it will vibrate more. It probably evens it out.
^ lol nah a combo shakes way more. And more times than not the tubes *if its a tube amp* will be just inches away from the speaker...
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^ lol nah a combo shakes way more. And more times than not the tubes *if its a tube amp* will be just inches away from the speaker...

Maybe so, but I really can't imagine a 15 watt combo with a 10" speaker making the tubes vibrate more than a head with a 4x12 cab.
^ You would be suprised. A 15 watt tube amp would start to clip sooner than a higher wattage amp so it would definatly shake around a bit
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
^ You would be suprised. A 15 watt tube amp would start to clip sooner than a higher wattage amp so it would definatly shake around a bit

Wtf does clipping have to do with anything? It's not like clipping = vibration.
Quote by mr_hankey
Wtf does clipping have to do with anything? It's not like clipping = vibration.

Ooops lol i meant distort.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
Ooops lol i meant distort.

Clipping is the same as distorting.
the other thing is, if you're really worried, you could take the head off the top of the cab...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dont think the kid realizes how bad combos are compared to halfstacks.

Dude, a halfstack (the head itself more specifically) doesnt vibrate and rattle NEARLY as much as a combo. Trust me. lol
The other problem with the combo and valves is you've stuck the valves/tubes right next to the driver, the very thing generating all the pressure. At least in a head the tubes are isolated in it's own cabinet.

Besides, you asked for opinions, why argue?
yeah a halfstack will always beat a combo if its the same model due to the reasons mentioned, if you can afford the halfstack its well worth it to get it instead of the combo. heads are also easier to repair and have better heat dissipation usually.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ exactly. Plus when most people think of an amp head - they automatically think of a 4x12" cab. No one says you HAVE to have a 4x12 cab with an amp head. lol Some people like 1x12"s, 2x12"s, 2x10"s + 1x15"s...etc.
Agreed. I use a 2x12 with my different amps, both heads and combos that have outputs. Plenty loud. But I know lots of dudes that just use a great 1x12 for small gigs.
^ I agree, if I ever get off my ass and into a band, first thing on my shopping list is a nice 2x12 for ease of carrying.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know this band that has this killer band van. It was owned by some old handicapped people, like with wheelchairs and whatnot. So in the back they have one of those platforms that goes to the ground and lifts everything back up into the van. They have one on the side too. Its so freakin cool. Just load all of there stuff onto it, press a button, it all goes nice a cozy into the van, close the doors, and their off! lol Now THATS ease of carrying.
yeah, really. why? it used to be that 'combos rawk! no one needs a halfstack!' was the mentality.

i love my 2x12 cab though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
well most of the time its an SS Halfstack versus a tube combo, and then i think some people got carried away with that thinking that combos are better in all circumstances, which reakly isnt true.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by timi_hendrix
Whats with all the sudden combo hate?

it's not really hate persay, it's more the way that advice that's given for specific circumstances gets hijacked by bandwagon-jumpers and used IN ALL CASES, DAMMIT!

the rule I use is, if you can afford the same version of a (quality tube) combo in head/stack version, go for it.

As long as there isn't a better model available that you can only afford in combo version.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not to mention you can have more variety with a cab: 4x12, 2x12, 1x15, etc.

I almost sent my cab back because my head was a pos. Instead, I got a valve junior and have since fallen in love with it. To me, it sounds better than the much higher dollar combos I was playing at GC. And once I save up enough money for it, the Dr. Z Route 66 will sit nicely on top of it.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Righty then, a cab it is :-D.
Main Gear:

PRS CE22 Mahogany
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
EHX SMMwH
Will a combo through a cab sound exactly the same as a head through a cab ? or are there subtle differences
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's not really hate persay, it's more the way that advice that's given for specific circumstances gets hijacked by bandwagon-jumpers and used IN ALL CASES, DAMMIT!

the rule I use is, if you can afford the same version of a (quality tube) combo in head/stack version, go for it.

As long as there isn't a better model available that you can only afford in combo version.

Ah, touché.

I guess with a halfstack you can afford to just change the head/cab one at a time too, which makes it easier to buy things in the long run instead of having to save enough money for a new amp before you can get rid of your old one.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Iccus
Will a combo through a cab sound exactly the same as a head through a cab ? or are there subtle differences

it really depends on the amp. Some are identical in combo/head versions (something like the engl screamer, far as I'm aware), while some are different (marshall dsl). You really need to take it on a case by case basis.

Quote by timi_hendrix
Ah, touché.

I guess with a halfstack you can afford to just change the head/cab one at a time too, which makes it easier to buy things in the long run instead of having to save enough money for a new amp before you can get rid of your old one.

yeah, basically, as I said above, you need to do it case by case.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?