I just joined a group and the guitarist is ****ing awsome. we played a battle of the bands yesterday and he impressed the jury so much. but I asked him what scales he uses he sais that he just plays on feeling and he don't know any scale even not the major.
are ther more guitarists that plays like him??
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
tones, some of your favorite "Guitar heros" probably are just like him
Quote by adr11iano
gain:9
treble:8
mids:5
bass:6
volume:0

this is the best when playing paramore
yer i'm like that, i haven't a scale to my name but i can make up some pretty nice stuff.
*****GEAR*****
Ibanez S2075FW Prestige
Ibanez RG350DX
Marshall TSL602
Marhsall 15DFX
BOSS ME-50 effects
PROEL DIEHARD cables
Shure "The Guitarist" wireless
I play like that...........................................................even though im not insane, but im not horrible either........ i think.....haha just kidding i dont know any scales either i play on feeling
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
it is quite silly but thanks anyway!
Schecter Gryphon
Peavey Classic 30
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Heritage VIP 1(would like to sell)
One of my close friends, and former bandmates, is like that. He can't read tabs, doesn't know any scales, doesn't even know what chords he's playing. Somehow he manages to sound like the illegitimate child of Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. He learned entirely by sitting in his room with a tape player and a guitar.
tbh he's probably just playing pentatonics, he jsut doesnt realise it. Don't be fooled, knowing theory is ALWAYS better than not knowing theory.
I'm like that, but I know some theory. I just don't use the theory that I know. Like I'll find out what key a song will be in and I'll just go to the major scale of that song and toss in some extra random notes and it usually sounds good. Knowing different shapes helps alot. I guess you'd call that theory.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
hes probably lying. he probably at least knows the pentatonic and maybe jsut adds a bunch of extra notes like i do. or maybe he just doesnt know the names of scales. my friend knew chord shapes but he didnt know the names. id say "now play an E" and then id have to show him my fingers and then he'd be like "oh that one".
most of the guitarists you see that play based on "feeling" are most likely unknowingly using scales - is it coincidence that many of hendrix's songs just happened to rely heavily on the minor pentatonic and blues scales? i think not
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
most of the guitarists you see that play based on "feeling" are most likely unknowingly using scales - is it coincidence that many of hendrix's songs just happened to rely heavily on the minor pentatonic and blues scales? i think not

Ya exactly. Like if it sounds good what you are playing, then it has to be a scale of something.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Ya exactly. Like if it sounds good what you are playing, then it has to be a scale of something.
You can make some cool sounding stuff that doesn't fit into any common scale. However, you can consider anything a synthetic scale.

But yes, most anything you play will based on a scale. We didn't make scales and decide that riffs based on them would sound good. We made scales because they sounded good.
there are more scales thatn you can think, pretty much everything is written in a scale. however most musicians grab those few extra notes wich are not in the rules of the scale for that feel, that is still in a scale but i guess you could call it blue notes wich are "allowed".
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
just remember, music theory is not made up of rules that tell you what you should play, it's just a guide that tells you what you ARE playing and gives you a solid basis for ideas of where to go from here.
Only one thing to say, and that is that I pity him.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by noxios
I just joined a group and the guitarist is ****ing awsome. we played a battle of the bands yesterday and he impressed the jury so much. but I asked him what scales he uses he sais that he just plays on feeling and he don't know any scale even not the major.
are ther more guitarists that plays like him??

Yeah, I think for people who look at musical as an emotional language, which is what it is, their music tends to be less of what they have read or been shown and more what they have in their soul.