i've been looking for a nice practice amp for my gf, i have the Kustom KGA10FX, its an excellent practice, i cant find this on sales anywhere though, i need to find an amp that is quite similar but a bit better, below £150 though. I need an amp with great effects with clean and distortion, i was thinking bout the line 6 Spider II 112, but it got a bad review, i need somethin with a sweet tone for classic rock n' roll
vox valvetronix 30 watt will do the trick nicely.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

I like the Marshall MG15 DFX. Its got lots of effects and its affordable. Lots of people say its not that great, but its really good.
Quote by untitled039
I like the Marshall MG15 DFX. Its got lots of effects and its affordable. Lots of people say its not that great, but its really good.

stfu.

And for the guy above, +1
I like straberry pie

don't you?

Proud founder of the PedoBear fan club. PM me to join

10000+ Free webcam girls at:
camgirls.uk
Quote by untitled039

hahahahahahahaha

just NO!!

vox valvetronix or the roland cube 15 are your two best bets
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
id take the vox. clean are really nice, and it's distortion can get pretty heavy. unless she's into metal. in that case go with a cube, imo. does higher gain better.

also cubes are easy to carry around. unless she's got good upper body strength, she'll do better lugging it around. trust me.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
in my humble opinion, any 15 or 10 watt amp will do.. its a friggin practice amp, it doesn't have to be nice..
might as well get something, in the price range that will last, and have good tone.
cubes and vox moddeling amps, arent really expensive. they are just better.

and i think if the thread starter wants to save money, he's best off going wt a micro cube or a da5 mini vox. you still get the effects and quality.
not like ur playing gig's with anything under 30W anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Is a Valve Jr. in your range?

If you don't want it, look at some Vox Valvetronix's
Sent from my iPad.
Get a valve junior. Great little amp with a lovely tone. If you hunt a little you can find them for under £100 and don't let the 5w power put you off it'll make your Kustom sound weedy.
Although a nice amp, i don't think a valve junior is suitable for this situation. The TS said he was looking for an amp that can play clean and distorted with effects. I still recommend the vox or one of the smaller amps jj1565 suggested.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

^+1.

guys i have the valve jr. its not a good first amp. it's got clean and OD when way too loud for bedroom practice. doesnt make sense here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Could get a spider. Yeah, I said it. Sure it's 'digital' and whatever, but it doesn't sound even half as bad as most here claim they do, and the amount of effects/variety will keep a n00b interested.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by Nitro89
i've been looking for a nice practice amp for my gf, i have the Kustom KGA10FX, its an excellent practice, i cant find this on sales anywhere though, i need to find an amp that is quite similar but a bit better, below £150 though. I need an amp with great effects with clean and distortion, i was thinking bout the line 6 Spider II 112, but it got a bad review, i need somethin with a sweet tone for classic rock n' roll

the spider II are great ignore the reviews or if you want try the amp in a shop before buying it
the only guitar shops around me dont really have practice amps, they have combos and stacks
ok and the spider and the mg cost the same if not more than the cube and the vox.
i just dont get it. why would u get something that the guy who likes it, calls it digital and says its not "half as bad" as claimed.
not exactly a ringing endorsement.
plus i read a lot of, my spider/mg crapped out on me threads.

plus again. even if he doesnt want to spend a ton on this, getting a micro cube or a vox da5 is a great gift for a gf.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

well, they are completely different.

the da5 "auto wah, compressor, delay, reverb, flanger, phaser, chorus, tremolo, and rotary plus noise reduction. .5, 1.5, or 5 watt selectable output lets you overdrive the amp without getting loud and extends battery life. Aux in and separate mic in for accompanying your favorite music and practicing your vocals."

i mean, what does she need this amp for? is she just learning, maybe singing a little, is she playing classic and hard rock? does she use cleans, maybe trying to find her favorite tone?
then yes, this is a perfect. first amp.

is she into metal, maybe likes heavier stuff? the the microcube is all she needs. just be carefull. you might try it and swap ur kustom for it.

some guys like their spiders. i personally dont. i dont think they hold up, the cleans are horrid and the metal tones are very digital, imo.

unless shes trying to be heard over a drummer, these amps are pefect.

if she needs to be heard over a drummer, then ull need more than a practice amp anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

shes really good, shes been playing for 7 years, she can play hard rock n classical, i recently bought her a les paul and she has never had an amp, she really wants one, is the vox da5 better than the Vox da15 (i know its kind of stupid to ask but its better to be safe than sorry)?
basically the da15 is louder. there are are a few different features. but that's basically it.

the AD series is another option. the aD15 is also 15 watts.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD15VT-15W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481958

but a little bit better tone wise. but all in all, they are all really good amps for $120-200USD range.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yea, it just depends on how loud you want it. the DA5 has the option of switching from .5W, 1.5W, or 5W to get the maxed out sound if thats what your looking for. it also can be battery operated but if you want it a little louder get a 15 or 30w.

i personally am probably going to be getting an AD30VT as i wanted a little larger amp than the others. great amps though.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
I like my Cube 20X. Its got so many little features for me to mess around with too. It keeps me occupied when I get bored with just playing a song how it is "supposed" to be played. I like to turn flange and delay up to full and use the clean and play the Star Spangled Banner. Sounds pretty cool to me. I did not try the Cube 15X because it did not have the delay/reverb and the 4 effects knob. But the distortion is pretty good on it and I feel that the Cube 15X should be very similar. I know it does not have all the same ones, but it has Distortion, Overdrive, and either Metal or Metal Stack, and another one. The clean is awesome too. With Flange and delay you get a cool spacey clean sound that I like.

Edit: There is also a power squeezer function that turns it to a 2 watt amp to turn the volume up and get good distortion with a low sound for quite playing. I like it especially at night.
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
Last edited by chaoticgeek at Jan 17, 2007,
i was thinking either Vox da15 or Vox ad15vt, i am kind of leaning to the Vox da15 becuase it comes with a foot switch, i am not sure if the ad15vt comes with a foot switch, it doesn't say, does anyone know if it does please?
I am not sure how availible Randall amps are for you, but I just got a RX20. And it cranks. It has a 10" Celestion speaker and the clean channel sounds great. The distortion is unbeatable. One more thing, for only 20 watts, it is LOUD!
can anyone help? and whats the difference between a model amp and an normal amp?
Last edited by Nitro89 at Apr 5, 2007,
modelling amps, have built in digital effects.

just look at the specs and get the amp that gives u more for the money. there isnt a huge difference there.
higher gain, i like the microcube better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

whats the difference between them, they're pretty much the same but what would be best for a first amp?