I was hanging out with a friend and he mentioned something about the devils triad and how it was really evil sounding. Does anyone know what it is and how it's played?
yeah it sounds like shit.
an example:

--------------------------------------------
------5--------------------------------------
----------4----------------------------------
--3------------------------------------------

can sound alright in a chord sometimes though
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
Quote by Johnljones7443
^That isn't a triad - either way, I think the threadstarter meant a tritone, in which case you're right.

yeah its called the devil's interval or something. if i didn't post the thing you're looking for then sorry
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
The Devil's interval is the tritone (also known as the diminished 5th or augmented 4th), like insideac said. It's extremely dissonant, and people in medieval times thought it was the sound of the devil (hence the name), and the church banned it. It's most commonly seen in diminished and dominant chords.
Quote by Scourge441
The Devil's interval is the tritone (also known as the diminished 5th or augmented 4th), like insideac said. It's extremely dissonant, and people in medieval times thought it was the sound of the devil (hence the name), and the church banned it. It's most commonly seen in diminished and dominant chords.

The name "Devil's interval" didn't appear until the 18th century, and there is no evidence that the Church banned it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
The name "Devil's interval" didn't appear until the 18th century, and there is no evidence that the Church banned it.

The church didnt ban it from music in general, but yes they did forbid that it be used in the church choir, and music that was played in the church.
It seems like this exact scenario comes up once every two weeks or so. Someone hears about it, doesn't inquire further about it from their original source, then comes here. Nothing wrong with that, but it reminds me a bit of Groundhog's Day. No matter which way the people here answer the question, or how many times they do it, the thread is doomed to repeat itself.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
It seems like this exact scenario comes up once every two weeks or so. Someone hears about it, doesn't inquire further about it from their original source, then comes here. Nothing wrong with that, but it reminds me a bit of Groundhog's Day. No matter which way the people here answer the question, or how many times they do it, the thread is doomed to repeat itself.

Thats a good analogy LOL. I think everyone is curious about it because of the moniker, Devils Interval, it sounds all evil and forbidden.
Quote by insideac
Thats a good analogy LOL. I think everyone is curious about it because of the moniker, Devils Interval, it sounds all evil and forbidden.

Ya, it just sounds evil from the name. Hence tons of curious 13 year olds are wondering what it is. Oooooooh.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Songwriter Sean Delaney said-
"The devil's triad is a progression that you have to go through 13 times in a row. When this happens, the human mind cannot resolve itself; it doesn't know where to go to resolve this music you've heard. In every song you ever hear it always resolves going into the chorus line or coming out of a verse."