Page 1 of 2
Basically I'm here to find a song to play on my own (no other people) for my solo GCSE piece, and idea's?
Well, what skill are you at?
Try JerryC's version of Canon.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
guitar or bass?

cause im doing mine at the moment too
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Anything neo-classical is good. You want to display technique and melody.
Just do something really easy, there's no point in trying something challenging because anythingover a certain(very simple) level doesn't gain you any more marks.
Need.New.Sig.
if your doing guitar.
my friend got an A* for Highway Star by Deep Purple
so something along those lines will be good.
our teacher gives us A*'s for everything
so im thinking shes either generous
or its just DAMN easy to pass!
Quote by Nemesis260

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by Metal claw
^No. Everyone's probably sick of that song by now.

EDIT: To Dinkydaisy

It doesn't matter if the examiner would be sick of it, if it shows skill you can play what you want, regardless if it's overused on a guitar forum.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
the best thing i can suggest is get a backing track and play to that, cause if it all fits, then your easy an A*

GOOD LUCK!
Quote by Nemesis260

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
fade to black
it has some decent solos in it for gcse - i did it for mine, and my grade 5 exam, gcse is only grade 3/4
Quote by _Mayday_
Anything past Grade 3 gets an A. (I think)

That's a joke of a test, then.
My God, it's full of stars!
White Room by Cream? Plenty of leads and rhythm in there, won't get too boring.
Play something like Eruption becuase the examiners are more impressed by something like that than say a Grade 3/4 classical guitar piece.
I Played Bohmian Like You and The Importance of Being idle. Got a B

~Rocker007
Quote by Shimynor
Basically I'm here to find a song to play on my own (no other people) for my solo GCSE piece, and idea's?

I did GCSE last year. I would recommend something that's a slight challenge, but you can play perfectly.

Are you on the AQA exam board?

My Website

Sometimes I make people spurt:
Quote by nimrod_hahahaha
sigged for making me spurt guiness on my laptop...damn you!

Quote by imdeth

Jimmy that was pure awesomeness. WIN!
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Play something like Eruption becuase the examiners are more impressed by something like that than say a Grade 3/4 classical guitar piece.

Er...no they're not.

Once you go past grade 3/4 which is complete piss you don't get any more marks for difficulty.

The way it works is 5 marks for difficulty(Grade 4 being all 5) then 5 for performance.
Need.New.Sig.
Quote by slash_620
Er...no they're not.

Once you go past grade 3/4 which is complete piss you don't get any more marks for difficulty.

The way it works is 5 marks for difficulty(Grade 4 being all 5) then 5 for performance.

No, the standard is grade 3 - so if you do a grade 3 piece you get full marks for difficulty. Plus, at grade 3 standard classical guitar is very unimppressive. They find something like Eruption quite hard to mark, as they're not used to that style and you nearly always end up scoring full marks.
eruption has loads of technique in it but almost no form - it's freetime and improv - so they might not like it
Quote by blue_strat
eruption has loads of technique in it but almost no form - it's freetime and improv - so they might not like it

I know some poeple who played it terribly and scored full marks

Anyway, does one of the pieces you play not have to relate to an area of study? Maybe it's different over here...
I would go for something you can play in full well, with a decent transcription or tab (i.e. with tempo, note lengths) if you have any books or magazines, I'd advise doing something from there.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
yeah we had to give them a full transcription of what we played - with notation, not just tab
get something from power tab or a guitar magazine because you need to make sure its got TAB and notation. I did the trooper by Iron Maiden and that was fine tbh.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
I played take it easy by the eagles. I would rather have played Iron man but I was still learning it at the time. I think I got a C or B.
Quote by Dreadnought

Yeah, I looked at a grade 3 song and pissed myself.
Quote by Dreadnought

The standards for passing a Scottish music exam (Only in-school, they become more normal after that, haha) are just ridiculous.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by _Mayday_
Yeah, I looked at a grade 3 song and pissed myself.

What songs would you say is grade 3?
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!
Quote by _Mayday_
Anything past Grade 3 gets an A. (I think)

LoL. I just did my first GCSE music performance doing a grade 6 piece, got A* but my teacher said that grade 4 played well will get a A, so Grade 3 played averagely is C to a B.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
GCSE music is a piece of piss. My friend got full marks for playing whats my age again. and I got full marks for playing a really easy HIM song.

You could play jingle bells and be hailed as a musical prodigy.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Just play a rockschool piece.

Canon in D...**** that.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Quote by Viva-la-mark
What songs would you say is grade 3?

There was this one I was showed that had a few suspended chords in it, with palm muting.....that was it!

Quote by _Tenacious_
LoL. I just did my first GCSE music performance doing a grade 6 piece, got A* but my teacher said that grade 4 played well will get a A, so Grade 3 played averagely is C to a B.

Yeah....
Quote by Dreadnought

It really is, did my solo piece last year [Year 10] played Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, didn't even have to bother with the slide solo's just the intro chords, first solo [no slide needed] verse chords, intro chords, verse chords again and end on those.

Got an A*.

I laughed
the solo to We Will Rock You by Queen
I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the bank,
Looked up to the Lord above and said,
"Hey man, Thanks"

Dr. Spinnerbait of the UG Fishermans Club. PM Joe-Fish to join.
I actually don't know what to play. I want a good picky song that sounds good on it's own. I downloaded 'Bridge To Cross' and have the tab (since somebody said they played that) so I'll learn that.
This Godless Endeavour - Nevermore. It's piss, trust me.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Page 1 of 2