I need a tube amp for gigs, will the 15 watt blonde junior or the crate v16 palamino 15 watt do the job, or do I need the 40 watt hot rod deluxe? What watt amount would you recommend? Thanks.
15 watt would be too small for gigs. 40 watt Fender hot rod deluxe would be enough though. You want about 50watts if you want to gig, because you want to be able to push the amp to its max for its best tone, so that would be perfect, I haven’t ever played through a Fender hotrod deluxe but I have heard they are very nice amps.
Last edited by Sam15 at Jan 14, 2007,
My 30 Watt valve amp is played at volume 3 out of 10 at band practice (that's with another guitarist too). If you are doing normal, small gigs the 15 Watt would possibly be ok.

Quote by Sam15
You want about 50watts really if you want to gig with it, because you want to be able to push the amp to its max for its best tone.

Your logic is flawed, a 40W valve on full volume will sound nicer than a 50W at 3/4 volume. Apart from that you are kind of inversely correct lol!
Thanks for the responses.... I'm playing blues/classic rock...what amp would you recommend? I'd rather spend around $400, but I guess 600 is my max.
I personally would advise you to have a look at some second hand ones, then you can get a higher quality amp for the same price if you get me.
I wouldn't know where to look online as you are in the US, You probably wouldnt want a British made Laney amp like mine with a British tone anyway

Have a search on eBay for some deals:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-USA-40w-tube-amp-w-Great-Mod_W0QQitemZ320069300060QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38074QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Blues-Deville-Guitar-Tube-Tweed-Amp-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ330072578175QQihZ014QQcategoryZ121161QQcmdZViewItem

Be very wary of hybrid amps pretending to be tube amps.

edit: Im probably gonna order an instrument from the USA, the prices are MUCH cheaper than the shitty UK.
Last edited by NeptuneUK at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by NeptuneUK

Your logic is flawed, a 40W valve on full volume will sound nicer than a 50W at 3/4 volume. Apart from that you are kind of inversely correct lol!

Not if you wanted cleaner tone, and even then the difference is really small