Impossible mission of the month:

I recently had to sell a quality £340 Turner electro acoustic for money, now I have some money and the band may want to do some acoustic songs, Is it possible to get a gigabble electro acoustic for £100?
As long as it would stay in tune and didnt sound like a box I guess it would be ok, right?
If it was only £100 then I would be happy bringing it where I go without worrying about scratches or dents so I can practice away from home.

note: 100GBP ~ 196 USD
Last edited by NeptuneUK at Jan 14, 2007,
No not really. You'd struggle to find a regular acoustic that would be worth gigging for that price.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
No not really. You'd struggle to find a regular acoustic that would be worth gigging for that price.

Gotta agree with that. I'd say save up a bit more.
For about £200-£250 Ibanez do some pretty good semi-acoustic guitars, especially the artcore range.
If you can't wait maybe check ebay or the classified section in a local paper. You never know someone else might need to sell there guitar just as you did and you might get a bargin.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
2nd hand, good idea mate

edit: looking online, I could get some semi decent guitars for about $200 from the US!
Quote by NeptuneUK
Impossible mission of the month:
Is it possible to get a gigabble electro acoustic for £100?
As long as it would stay in tune and didnt sound like a box I guess it would be ok, right?
If it was only £100 then I would be happy bringing it where I go without worrying about scratches or dents so I can practice away from home.

I assume that by electro-acoustic you mean with a piezo pickup.

First, from lengthy personal experience, whatever the quality of your electro-acoustic, I strongly suggest that, if you don't already have a specifically designed acoustic combo, you don't plug in straight in the PA or an ordinary guitar amp, but plug-in first through a specifically designed acoustic preamp or DI box for fine control of your signal levels, tone setting and enhancement and, feedback killing control.

So either you got one of those specially designed acoustic amps, either you need to get yourself something cheap but very effective like this:
ebay: Boss AD-5 Acoustic Instrument Processor

or this:
ebay: Behringer ADI21 V-Tone Acoustic DI

or this:
ebay: Zoom 504 II Acoustic Guitar Effects Pedal

or this:
ebay: Zoom A2 Acoustic Effects Pedal

Second, you do realize that 100 quid won't allow you to strike any of the premier (gibson, martin, takamine, seagull ...) or mid-level (crafter, cort, yamaha...) brands, even second-hand or third-hand in giggable state. If you do find such a deal, you might as well buy a few lottery tickets.

Therefor, I would suggest you to aim for a decent new chinese-made budget electro-acoustic. Don't worry about the electronics, under 150 quid, all guitars carry exactly the same chinese made electro-acoustic pickup-preamp package of the day, which are today far better than any ovation electronics package made even 6-8 years ago.

Being in the UK, you are very lucky to have *very* reliable online distributors competing against each other by litterally throwing at you *high* quality products at incredibly low prices. Just make sure you slap on a set of quality strings and use quality lead cables before making yourself an opinion. Used with one of the preamps/processors above, I'll state these budgets play a lot better than many Takamines and really give top brand guitars a hard time justifying their several 100 quid price difference, especially for pubs and small-medium stage gigs, following the motto under the threat of being nuked by this lady who shares my financial situation "If it ain't written in the budget and money duely saved for it, any gear purchase has got to pay itself back within a month."

Here are a few of these online distributors:

Wesley Guitars
In-tune Music
Harrier Guitars
Emdan Instruments

Personally, I had a great experience with Wesley Guitars on several occasions and have to admit I pick up to play these budget guitars laying around all over my place and gig with them more often than any top brands I own (ovation, martin, seagull, guild).

Happy shopping.
Last edited by ColdGin at Jan 14, 2007,
Thanks alot!

So these Wesley acoustics stay in tune? Hell at that price I could replace the tuners with grovers later!
If I don't like the sound of it through my valve amp, I can just mic it until I grab a processor.
My opinion is to borrow a half decent guitar and save up a little for something decentish. At least save up and get an Alvarez AD60SC or the version of the Yamaha FG720S with a pickup, or get one of the versions of these without pickups and get an add on pickup, like a soundhole pickup.

That way at least you will have something that sounds decent, and play nicely too. If you buy something as cheap as you are looking to pay, even without a pickup, you will get a guitar that plays like shit. And that sucks! big time! add in that it probably wont sound any good either and its making me grimace.
I have purchased a 1960s Eko Ranchero for little over £50.
(at £50 it seemed like well calculated gamble)

The seller has: " 'misplaced' two small screws for the machine heads" but didn't bother telling me until after I have payed for the item and sent it off (twat?)
Im giving it a thorough inspection once it arrives to see if there's anything else that has been forgotten about....