Page 1 of 2
Is there such thing as like Piano emo music? like just piano playing with emo singing?
PS:dont destroy me if there isnt
But Dad, Nick Cannon is hilarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrious
oh definately. ever heard Gary Jules' version of the song "Mad World"? its on the movie donnie darko. its a ridiculously awesome song, but the lyrics are definately emoish. and the piano adds to that too
well more specificly, like Name of the band and album
But Dad, Nick Cannon is hilarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrious
haha well im not an expert on it. im just saying it can be done. that song is the only specific song i can think of, but if you haven't heard it definately download it.
yeah theirs tons of stuff. some people call jack's mannequin emo, and they use piano all the time.
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender Cab, Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus, Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, Boss DD-6, Boss SD-1, Dunlop JH-1B, Takamine EG 530 SSC
Quote by bbsbass
oh definately. ever heard Gary Jules' version of the song "Mad World"? its on the movie donnie darko. its a ridiculously awesome song, but the lyrics are definately emoish. and the piano adds to that too

gary jules aint emo, and that song has been around for quite some time.
look, most people think of emo as having lyrics that are kind of dark and depressed right? that song fits that, it doesnt matter that it came out before making songs like that became a trend. and i never said anything about gary jules being emo. i said that song was an example of a piano based song that sounded emoish.
lindsay quit lollylagging.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
Jack's Mannequin....
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Emo is not based on the lyrics, it's much more than that. So basically yes you are wrong, Gary Jules is not Emo. If the threadstarter is misinformed and thinks Emo is just sad music, and can't find sad music w/ piano well he's just not trying very hard and also needs to go learn about the Emo genre. That Gary Jules song is sad though, not Emo.

And yes most bands that are piano driven tend to be Indie. But you can go with more Pop-Punk bands such as Something Corporate, and Socratic.

The band Thursday, some consider Emocore or Post-hardcore w/e, has some piano driven songs specifically, This Song Is Brought To You By A Falling Bomb, and Even The Sand IS made of Seashells.

You can also go with some very good bands that are not really Emo but use piano or keys, including Murder By Death, Kiss Kiss, and These Arms Are Snakes(no piano but use Keyboards).

You might like Chiodos, personally i hatem but w/e.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
Last edited by Knife2aGunFight at Jan 14, 2007,
Yeah, check out those two Thursday songs.

here are my suggestions

Daphne Loves Derby: The Longest Story and Middle Middle
the Rocket Summer: This Is Me and What We Hate We Make
Straylight Run: Existentialism on Prom Night and A Slow Descent
Chiodos: We're Gonna Have Us A Champagne Jam and the Interlude 1
Waking Ashland: All Hands On Deck and Sing Me To Sleep
Copeland: Brightest and Love Affair
Bright Eyes: No Lies, Just Love and When The Curious Girl Realizes She Is Under Glass
Taking Back Sunday: Your Own Disaster (Theres a piano version)
Something Corporate: Konstantine and Ben Franklins Kite
Owen: Use Your Words (the end is insanely beautiful)
Mae: We're So Far Away and Sun (destination: b-sides version)
Dashboard Confessional: So Long So Long and Screaming Infidelities (unplugged version)
Blood Brothers: American Vultures
Paramore: Breathe
Early November: This Is Love and My Lack of Skill
Gatsby's American Dream: A Manifesto of Tangible Wealth
New Amsterdams: From California and Heaven Sent
Starting Line: Hold On
Umbrellas: The City Lights and Ships
This Day and Age: Of Course We've All Seen The Sun
Ultimate Fakebook: A Million Hearts
oh shit I can't believe I forgot Straylight Run, yeah they're great.
Umbrellas are pretty good too.
Straylight Run
Stars
Death Cab For Cutie
The New Owen CD (At Home With Owen)
Jacks Mannequin
Something Corporate
The Early November
Bright Eyes
The Sounds of Animals Fighting
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
Emo vocals... screamed poetry vs. piano, I don't think it's been done before.

Unless you mean whiny singing and piano, I think there's a whole branch of indie rock with music like that.
oh well if you want (real) Emo Vox over or w/ Piano go with I Will Set Myself On Fire For You.

Or even so that band is awesome listen to them anyway.
Last edited by Knife2aGunFight at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by Knife2aGunFight
oh well if you want (real) Emo Vox over or w/ Piano go with I Will Set Myself On Fire For You.

Or even so that band is awesome listen to them anyway.

I'm going to be putting one of their disks in my next order to No Idea, if I can afford so.
so much stuff man, death cab for cutie, straylight run, drop dead gorgeous and chiodos have some piano in the background, moneen, thrice, underoath, bright eyes, blood brothers, etc.
The precious moment just before, the sun is devoured, by the horizon...
yeah, underscore_?

underoath is a jesus band

blood brothers are posthardcore

thrice is posthardcore

chiodos is posthardcore

i havent heard all the bands you listed but i do know that you arent right about straylight run either, emo is hardcore punk driven with emotional lyrics, and more melodic lines in the music.

also, the way the band reactso n stage can play a role in that, but i wouldnt follow that advice, ****ing mtv.
Quote by original=punk
yeah, underscore_?

underoath is a jesus band

blood brothers are posthardcore

thrice is posthardcore

chiodos is posthardcore

i havent heard all the bands you listed but i do know that you arent right about straylight run either, emo is hardcore punk driven with emotional lyrics, and more melodic lines in the music.

also, the way the band reactso n stage can play a role in that, but i wouldnt follow that advice, ****ing mtv.

Lol You're a moron.

"Underoath is a Jesus Band"

Lawlz. Anyways, you're a complete tard, so if you'd be kind enough to remove yourself from this site, and, if need be, society, that'd be appreciated.

kthxbi.
how am i a tard? this thread is about piano-based emo music, and someone wants to know some bands who do that, i dont want him to be ****ed over on that by someone who rolls off all these mainstream bands that defenitly arent what he wants.

and btw, underoath IS a jesus band.

listen to their earlier stuff its more outward in those osngs than the new ones. but they are, theyre a christian band, with some christian lyrics.

in case you dont know, christians worship jesus.

hence, JESUS BAND

get it?

and how do you get off calling me a tard, when you use "words" like "lawlz" and "kthxbi"?
Quote by original=punk
how am i a tard? this thread is about piano-based emo music, and someone wants to know some bands who do that, i dont want him to be ****ed over on that by someone who rolls off all these mainstream bands that defenitly arent what he wants.

and btw, underoath IS a jesus band.

listen to their earlier stuff its more outward in those osngs than the new ones. but they are, theyre a christian band, with some christian lyrics.

in case you dont know, christians worship jesus.

hence, JESUS BAND

get it?

and how do you get off calling me a tard, when you use "words" like "lawlz" and "kthxbi"?

Lol u shuld know wat im talkin bout. lawlz.

Seriously though, Christian is a genre left far better off to bands like DC Talk and The Newsboys. Please don't even consider placing UnderOath under the "Christian" category because a few of their old songs were about God.

And the reason I called you a tard is because of your holier than thou, arrogant little superiority-complex with which you use to tell someone else that their music is "mainstream!", when, despite the fact that being mainstream is not always a negative or derrogatory thing, your views are completely ignorant and biased.

kthxbi
i never called anyones music mainstream, i just used mtv as a lil jokey there.

and im not against those bands, how did you get that idea?

those bands are some of my favorite bands!!

theyre just not piano emo.

and yeah i know christian is a genre better left to non underoath bands.

which is why i dont listen to them

and not "a few" of their old stuff was christian, ALL their old stuff was christian, theyre just "moving away from that" as theyve put it before.

theyre still a gay-bashing-jesus-band.
I'm fairly sure that Underoath have never bashed gay people...

and as for the piano music, Jack's Mannequin have an "acoustic" version of Kill the Messenger with just him and a piano which I find rather good. I say "acoustic" because it's often labeled as acoustic on p2p programs.
maybe she was hiding because she wanted to be found.
maybe not bashing as in trying to stop the parade. but yah, they are gay bashers.

thats why them and nofx had that big bitchyness during warped a bit ago, they didnt liek what fat mike was saying about how he didnt liek how they say they think gay people deserve irghts, except the right to marry.

cause you know, we're just THAT bad.
That's not gay bashing, that's stating an opinion on what you think gay people deserve.

While I don't agree with it, it's still not bashing.
maybe she was hiding because she wanted to be found.
Quote by fenderfreak101
Lol u shuld know wat im talkin bout. lawlz.

Seriously though, Christian is a genre left far better off to bands like DC Talk and The Newsboys. Please don't even consider placing UnderOath under the "Christian" category because a few of their old songs were about God.

kthxbi

Since when is "Christian" a music genre? Assuredly its possible to write Christian rock or Christian country etc etc. Can you really lump all Christian bands together? And does their religion realistically matter when describing a band?
im gonna stop talking about underoath and gay bashing cause thats isnt what this thread is about, its about something else, so im just gonna stop right here.

underoath is bigoted
Quote by original=punk
they made them in private to fat mike on warped tour.

Convenient...
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

according to wiki Underoath and Fat Mike are on good terms.

I dont like Underoath much, but lets not try and make them seem worse than they really are.
Yeah, the guy from Taking Back Sunday is pretty good. Straylight run is a side project of his that has more piano.
"Too few exercise the greatest freedom they have - the freedom of thought. Perhaps they demand freedom of speech as compensation." - Soren Kirkegard
Page 1 of 2