I did a gig last night and to be able to heard i had to borrow a tsl100 off the band that we were supporting last night. I really liked it, brilliant to play with and i think 3 channles is perfect for me. There was PLENTY of gain on that thing and it pretty much suits me. I think i will save up lots and get one for my birthday with a V 30's cab (i played through one yesturday aswell, but i find the GT75 don't have enough bottem end when i tryed it out on the DSL in the store). As much as i do like the DSL, two channles isn't really enough and the whole modes thing kinda irritates me.

Anyway, the point of this thread being, are there anythings that i should know about the TSL? is it worth getting, are there anythings that aren't good about? Any sound clips? :p I would get the TSL60 but the channles are not independant which pisses me off. Is the VPR any good?

Cheers.

p.s. if its not constructive such as "tsl is shit dont get it" - don't bother posting or at least back it up.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
ive played both and i ended up buying the dsl. what kind of music are you playing?
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender Cab, Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus, Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, Boss DD-6, Boss SD-1, Dunlop JH-1B, Takamine EG 530 SSC
Muse, Foo Fighters, Bit of Jazz and clean going on heavy crunch stuff (this is some of band stuff, and tone wise similar to them), Joe Satriani, Dreamtheater (i don't need mega heavy crushing tones - although tbh im sure the TSL can get close to it). To be honest i play mostly a bit of everything, i dont need a super scooped mid gain sound though which would suit metal really. ( But i think the TSL can get to this quite nicely).
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
I bought the TSL for the same reason that you did. i wanted the 3 channels. Its a great amp and since i play mostly in the home i use the vpr almost exclusively. it is great.
hmm False god: yeah i do like the DSL and i especially liked the Clean Channle but i felt the options it had were a little limiting and if did get one, i'd probably have the clean channle, an overdrive (probably mode one) then maybe a tubescreamer/equivalent for boosts. Not sure if that would be ideal though. With TSL i have clean (obviously), the crunch for rhythm (with quite a bit of gain then role the guitar volume down for lower gain) and then have the lead channle for rhythm and boosts.

To have it all in the amp would be best really... but i'll need to try both out to see. But i'd rather role the volume back down than buying a tubescreamer.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

yeah dude a tubescreamer would do nicely with the dsl. and the dsl is a lot better for your tastes.
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender Cab, Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus, Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, Boss DD-6, Boss SD-1, Dunlop JH-1B, Takamine EG 530 SSC
Ok, thanks. Well i think i'll pop down to GAK next weekend and give both the marshalls a try out. (DSL with tubescreamer).
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

I know what you mean alright, but for over all tone its worth the loss of the extra channel..
DSLs to me seem over rated, not to say they arent good amps, but if your buying a pricey modern amp you shouldnt have to buy a tube screamer, its a great amp but its very limited in a sense that you have clean and dirty and they share some eqs, i much prefered the TSL, more gain, an extra channel, and it had a tighter sound to me, not to say mine is stock ive retubbed it many times now, but i also dont have to use an OD pedal to drive it, i do use one to boost my signal cuz my bassists is content with having more bottom end than a 40 year old mother of 6, to the TS i would go with your gut and get that extra channel it just creates more versitility in the end, and just because the channel says lead or crunch doesnt mean thats what you have to use them for, i use my lead channel as a overdriven blues channel
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Ok thanks With the DSL, i find it sounds slightly warmer and has a little more character, just ashame about the limiting factors (from my point of view). If i do try out the DSL with a tube screamer, what sort of things would i do with it, because too much overdrive on the pedal and amp at the same time isn't good presumably, so just high levels on the pedal and low gain?
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

well just have the gain and tone at 4-5 (personal pref) and the level as high as you need!
ok cheers.

oh and another thing, what has more bottem end, 1960a, or 1960av?
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Well IMO the TSL sounds like shit, but it looks like you've already made up your mind so there's no point giving you any advice. :snyper:
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
well to be honest all advice is nice aslong as its constructive.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Quote by timi_hendrix
Well IMO the TSL sounds like shit, but it looks like you've already made up your mind so there's no point giving you any advice. :snyper:

+1

look into some laneys too, for a similar price. even some of the cheaper engls might be under budget, the marshalls have gone up recently.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah i will be trying out the laney's aswell there.

to be honest, i've looked at the engl's and im not really to keen on them.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

^ just to confirm, you've tried them and don't like them?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well as an owner of a TSL I say don't get one. Sure they are ok amps but they're nothing great, and since getting my 800 I haven't played the TSL and I'm now going to sell it. TSL's are way muddy and undefined, also they take a hell of a lot of EQing but do sound better if you sepnd the time doing it. The last month or so my roomie has been playing my TSL side by side with my 800 both with similar guitars and the 800 is a mile ahead. I'm not suggesting the 800 for you either, it's all personal preference but I am suggesting you keep looking around cause I have no doubt you can do better than a TSL. I'd actually toyed with the idea of keeping the TSL for metal but the 800 sounds better doing that too. If it's the Marshall sound you're after definately don't get the TSL, the DSL would be a better choice for that if you want to buy new.

And as Dave asked, have you played the ENGL or just "looked" at them?
I've tryed out the Thunder 50, it sounded a bit thin. Although this was at low volumes and probably not the amp i'd really want being 2 channle. Aren't engl for more metal? Although if there are any engl amps that YOU think are good, be it 3 or 4 channle and aren't to expensive. - I'd rather keep the general price of things at £1000.

Yeah i think the DSL might sound better but i'd need to get an extra pedal for boosts. Also i need to keep the price down. Oh i've also looked at the orange rockerverb 50 and jsx. both were pretty good but i think the price is too much.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Last edited by Stooja at Jan 15, 2007,
^ the thunder is one of the few engls I haven't tried. It's basically the bottom of the range, I'm not sure it's fair to judge all engls based on it.

I'd try the screamer, fireball and blackmore, just to see. You should be able to afford a 2x12 cab with any of those for under £1000, I'd have thought. Thomann do a framus 2x12 with v30's for £200, which would help keep costs down.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?