Ok, i'm new to the whole floyd rose system, so take it easy on me. I've recently bought a used Ibanez 540 FM. Beautiful guitar, sounds great. But, i'm confused about the floyd rose. I can't pull up. I set the floyd rose to be parralel to the body. Right under the floyd rose is a spongy material, then under that the wood of the guitar. Is this guitar not ment to be able to have the floyd rose go up? or is this some form of a block I can remove? Or maybe i'm supposed to angle the floyd rose bridge higher so I can get the pitch to go up?
I can add picture if need be, any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks.
A picture would be helpful.

Many guitars fitted with floyd-rose system do not have the proper routing to allow you to be able to increase pitch very much by pulling up on the bar. I suspect this is the case with yours.
It sounds like there's a stop behind the trem - it's probably there to keep things secure during transit so you can take it out. Keep it though, you can use it if you even have to take the strings off, and it'll also be a help when changing strings (one at a time, of course!)
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It sounds like there's a stop behind the trem - it's probably there to keep things secure during transit so you can take it out. Keep it though, you can use it if you even have to take the strings off, and it'll also be a help when changing strings (one at a time, of course!)

Didn't even think of that.
ok heres the pics...
If there is a stop, how can I take it out?

if the guitar was routed...how much $ are we looking at to get that done? I doubt i'd do it. I wouldn't want anything to go wrong with the guitar.
Attachments:
IMAG00571.jpg
IMAG00561.jpg
Quote by CliffLives10
ok heres the pics...

if the guitar was routed...how much $ are we looking at to get that done? I doubt i'd do it. I wouldn't want anything to go wrong with the guitar.

To me it just looks like the cut down into the body isn't deep enough to allow much movement when you pull up on the bar. I dunno how much it would be if you were looking to get that routed deeper--I've never had anything like that done. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
take of the back plate and give me a pic
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
ok heres the pics...

If it's a temporary stop it'll come out easily. Just dive the trem right down and it'll just pop out if it's not supposed to be there. You should be able to tell from looking if it's not meant to stay there...if it's a separate bit that'll jiggle about it can come out, if it's actually part of the trem cavity you should be able to tell.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ok I took off the floyd rose to make sure that there IS actually wood behind the foam and not just a hole thats being covered up. Without pulling the glued down foam off...it feels pretty solid. Sucks

Pictures attached...

So does this mean I have a guitar with a floyd rose thats not routed out deep enough? No way to fix this? Not smart to raise the bridge at an angle to be able to get a higher pitch with the whammy?
Attachments:
IMAG00581.jpg
IMAG00601.jpg
Quote by CliffLives10
Ok I took off the floyd rose to make sure that there IS actually wood behind the foam and not just a hole thats being covered up. Without pulling the glued down foam off...it feels pretty solid. Sucks

Pictures attached...

So does this mean I have a guitar with a floyd rose thats not routed out deep enough? No way to fix this? Not smart to raise the bridge at an angle to be able to get a higher pitch with the whammy?

Well you could keep the bridge angled slightly to gain some upward movement, but you'd lose some range on dives, and it would effect your action a bit.
Is the sponge not just there as a temporary fill, a bit like how with a pickguard it has plastic on top.
You're very brave taking the bridge off! I can't believe that Ibanez will have screwed up to the extent of not routing the trem cavity deep enough...Ibanez trems have a little notch in the side of the bridge on the edge next to the low E - it's there to show you the collect alignment and it's a better method than just arbitrarily looking at the bridge. If that's level then the trem is too, if it is and you've got no space to up-pull then I'm kind of puzzled.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I did not know that! I see the notch and when I line it up. I have a little bit of upward room to pull up...not much. Its hard to estimate but i'd say 3/4 of a step of upward pull. I figured this by lining the bridge up with the notch then pulling down as far as it will go after fretting a note. Sounds like a fret and a half to me. Any ideas? you wouldn't call this Ibanez "Defective" would you?
I don't think the sponge is a fill. I Just had the bridge off and i felt around, the whole thing felt solid. I could have pulled it off, but I don't want to do any permanent damage.
You should have about 7 steps of up-pull on a floyd - could you so a couple of pics of the bridge as it is now? One from the top edge of the guitar showing the notch and the trem posts, and one of trem cavity?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

yeah sure thing...but my parents are yelling for me. I have to make a run out for a 3 hours or so. If you could...check again then and you'll see the pics. Thanks for all your help guys!
Thanks alot guys! I raised the bridge to the notches and it gives me enough room to increase the pitch to what I want. haha Actually i'm scared to pull any harder, I'll snap a string. Anyways, thanks for all your help
Oh dear Lord, i sure hope you've unlocked the stud locker screw inside the action stud before you adjust it (those 2 posts embedded inside the body). Coz you'll risk ruining the threads on those little tiny allen screw.

The S540FM is equipped with the Ibanez LoProEdge system, the angle should be a bit slanted for the saddle positions so that the baseplate becomes parallel with the body. It should be like so

My advice is, read this 1st - http://www.jemsite.com/jem/trems.htm#post

**Advanced setup** For more advanced setup, like what i'd prefer to do, is to shim the neck on the body side so that your action low enough and your trem would be in sufficient range.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Thanks alot guys! I raised the bridge to the notches and it gives me enough room to increase the pitch to what I want. haha Actually i'm scared to pull any harder, I'll snap a string. Anyways, thanks for all your help

See, you second guessed me there - I was wondering if the notches were too low. Listen to madpick though, he knows more about Ibanez history than me and I didn't recognise the Lo-Pro...despite owning one One of the allen keys that came with the guitar should be a tiny one that fits inside the trem post sockets to unlock them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc