alright, our band decided to start recording demos. we thought we'd buy a 2 input recorder (records up to 8 tracks). we have vocals, guitar 1, guitar 2, bass guitar and drums.

would it be convenient recording 3 times? i mean i cant record everything at the same time. we also have a mixer thing at our disposal...is it possible to record everything at the same te with only 2 inputs?

second problem: drum recording. is it worth is buying a set of mics for the drums? if i just used one mic for the drums how would that work? what would i need to mix all the drum mic cables together before they go into the mixer board?

things i thought of buying:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fostex_mr8_mkii.htm

would it be difficult to record everything separate...rhytmically? is it possible to mix two or more instruments into one signal? how?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t-bone_dc_1000.htm

whats the quality on these? can i just use one mic for drum recording?

many thanks!
in order to record the drums with one mic, you hang it above the whole set.

What kind of inputs does the mixer have?

If you want, you can set up the bass, and guitar amps close together, then out a mic there, and another mic above the drums and record live, but that would hard to do.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
the mixer definitely has microphone kind of inputs and probably has those guitar kind.

how would this work?

drums---mixer---mixed into track 1 -----rec. input 1
bass---mixer---mixed into track 1
guitar1---mixer---mixed into track 2-----rec. input 2
guitar 2---mixer---mixed into track 2
vocals---mixer--mixed into track 2

with all the volumes set right on the mixer.
that should work as long as you have all the effects you want on the mixer or in your recording chain. but you should definately make sure that the mixer can handle that.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Read the stickies.

And you'd set it up so it goes guitar-effects-amp and then into a mic-mixer.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
it would be easyer to record onto a computer.
and
its not that hard to record everything differntly. thats how you professionally record.

now. the least amount of mics i have ever used to mic a drum kit is 3.
you have one over head(above the drums,make sure its a condeser). one below the snare pointing up tward it. and one in front of the bass drum. its best if you keep all the mics pointing upward to keep the sound on time.

now plug the mics into the mixer.. and have the dummer play like he always does while you get the levels right on the mixer. use head phones, and get as far away from the drummer as possible so that the actual sound from the drums dosnt mess up the sound comming from the mixer.

after you have you levals right. have the guitar play along with the drums but only record the drums.

now throw some head phones on and play along to the drum track you recorded.

and it should turn out pritty decent depending on what mics you used and what not
oh and if you happen to have a metradome, set it up when you are recording guitar and bass. and keep an eye on it. it will help you stay on time
"you just got to punch it"
"thats what im talkin about"
"just punch the frets"