Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

Now I know they used a gazillion amps and pedals and guitars etc on this album, but on a general level, what pickups/amp would you recommend to get that raw, dirty distortion they have on that album? I like the way it's really driven, but not that gainy and overly distorted... So what amps/pickups would you recommend? Budget of around £1000?
I'm sure someone will end up flaming you for even mentioning St. Anger.
they've all used active EMG pickups for years. 81/60s if i remember right (someone correct me please). Last I heard they were using Mesa Boogie stacks.

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/gear/metallica/index.php?page=James%20Hetfield

This is all James' gear. ^ I don' think you can afford the stacks they use, plus I wouldn't go for that exact sound. Its up to you though. Maybe a ValveKing would give you some of that sound (again, someone correct me).
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Peavey xxx combo or Peavey 6505 combo and a set of EMG's.

With a setup like that though, you have to be exclusively metal
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by crazylaughboy
James has a 1959 Les Paul?!

He collects 1959 guitars as that was the year he was born
Originally posted by jimmeh
I'm gonna try and teach my gf bass. I've only tried once, and we were both naked and still in bed, so it didn't work so well.
Yeah I read that somewhere... Unfortunately I'm several thousand under budget for a VH-4 hehe. Any cheaper equivalents? And StuC, yeah I would have to be exclusively metal, that's what I'm worried about, I want the versatility, especially as I don't play a load of metal. Some, but not lots...
I surgest more versatile pickups then, check out some of the Bareknuckle sets.

What other styles of music do you play?
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Marshall DSL and EMG 81/81 or EMG 81/60 (Kirk or James). They used DSLs a lot on St. Anger.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Yeah I was looking at Bareknuckles, I was looking at a Miracle Man bridge and a Cold Sweat neck, which is supposedly a more organic, versatile verison of an EMG 81/60 combo like James uses.

I play quite a lot of clean stuff too, so I need a bit of versatility for cleans. Umm, I mainly play sort of 80's metal, hardcore, and some heavier punk (my guilty pleasure is Sum 41 for Dave Baksh's riffs... Once you get past the irritating singer, they're an ok band!)
Quote by boba899
He collects 1959 guitars as that was the year he was born

Wrong, 1963.

And if your using alot of cleans, or really not even that much but you like them to sound good then I wouldn't look at 5150's. And the quality that your after,(sounding really saturated but still being clear) is done backing off the gain and doing several tracks.
Last edited by El Codyo at Jan 14, 2007,
Um, the point was I *didn't* like it saturated... I prefer the sound of a really driven, pushed to the max natural overdrive rather than lots of pre-amp gain...
I tried a 5150... I did like it quite a lot it just seemed to have too much pre-amp gain for me, lacked a bit of warmth, and the cleans weren't amazing. Awesome tone though. I wanted to like it bad, but I guess you can't do that...
Last edited by cam_rock at Jan 14, 2007,
since no one has flamed yet, let me be the first.

st. anger is a skidmark on the underpants of metallica.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Oh yeah, it's a rubbish album for the most part, but I do like the raw tone of the guitars in places, that's all. I was asking from a tonal standpoint rather than a musical quality standpoint
Anyone have any views on the JCM-800 idea? So far all I've been suggested is DSLs... Need a few more suggestions! Thanks!
Ok cool cool. I just thought of it because I know they've used Marshalls, and it doesn't have too much pre-amp gain so I could push it nicely... Any suggestions then? Thanks for the reply.
hmm...
a Mesa Dual Recto would be close...
an Engl, Bogner, Diezel and also if your not too picky a Randall might be
worth a look too...
Hmm... I didn't really get on with the Dual Recto when I tried it, although I know Metallica use Mesas a lot. I think Bogner and Diezel are out of my £1000 price range by a fair way... I tried a couple of ENGLs - the Fireball and the Powerball, and I really liked their voicing, but they had a touch too much pre-amp gain for me... I'm trying the Screamer and Thunder soon though, perhaps they might be more suitable?
I think those two would be a little more smoother than the Powerball and Fireball...
or just wait for Dave_mc to post... he has tested almost those Engls...
how about a Genz Benz and a Rivera have you tried it?
Haven't managed to come across anywhere near me in England that stocks Genz Benz or Rivera. Which ones should I look at though?
To help the flames... they had guitar tone? I thought they just played bass through dual rects?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Try a Laney GH head - they've got a great tone and can be driven really nicely; good cleans too, though it's a single channel head.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
They look pretty sweet, thanks for that... Is the gain switch footswitchable? 'Cos then you could almost run it as two channels...
Quote by cam_rock
They look pretty sweet, thanks for that... Is the gain switch footswitchable? 'Cos then you could almost run it as two channels...

You mean the GH? Unless I'm being delusional, it is. It's a very nice head and can do much more than just heavy metal, check out Paul Gilbert's stuff for a glimpse of the tones you can get with it - he uses pretty much 0 effects and little studio processing so it's some good sampling. Iommi uses a slightly modified GH as well.

Also, if you're after more versatility, you could look into the TT range. Just like GH, they're a dream to drive hard, a bit less 'ballsy', but will give you a wider range of tones, it's the perfect amp for blues, hard rock, and classic metal IMO. Not sure if you could get a St Angerish sound out of these ones, though.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
In the studio they used all the Line 6 modeller pedals, the DM4, MM4, DL4, AM4 and Deizel, Mesa and Marshall amps. It's hard to say exactly what they used to record for each track. Live though, Hetfield uses EMG combo of 81/60 and Kirk 81/81; they mostly use ESP but are starting to get fond of Gibson and use Mesa stacks live. Marshall DSL would cover your needs and give you versatility. An Ashdown Fallen Angel is likened to being a UK Mesa Boogie so look into them too. The pedals mentioned above will give you more than enough options as well to shape tone. An EQ pedal would do you the world of good too, like an MXR 6 Band to tweak the mid range. If an amps is all you are after then for £1000 look at a Marshall Mode Four.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
since no one has flamed yet, let me be the first.

st. anger is a skidmark on the underpants of metallica.

yeah but I think it has one of their best tones outa all the albums.
Quote by ar73m
You mean the GH? Unless I'm being delusional, it is.
yeah, whats the story with that do you know? like how is it footswitchable even tho its just one channel? Cause Im actually interested in that!
It has two gain stages that are footswitchable, as far as I'm aware... So I guess if you set one gain stage as very low gain, and the other as a distortion sound, by footswitching between the gain stages you effectively have a two-channel amp, using the master volume to normalize the volume...

I was just curious as to how good of a clean sound you could get from the lower gain stage, whether it had the head room to do that. Would the 50W or 100W have more headroom?

Scott316, thanks very much for the info and recommendation of an MXR 6 band EQ... Do EQ pedals make a lot of difference then? I was looking into some...
^^kind of on subject, kind of straying at the same time.

What are the best EQ pedals in most peoples opinions? just to have an idea on what to look around for.
Page 1 of 2