okay so i love the mesa/boogie tone but i can't afford to spend that much
so can any body point me in the direction of any amp manufacturer that makes similar high gain amps at a cheaper price? geers
^^^ haha no, they try to be a recto but they get no where near the tone way too many mids, Carvins V3 actually emulates the sound much better but they still arent that cheap, what amp are you using now, Rocktron actually makes a zombie rectified distortion pedal that gets a decent knock off recto tone, or maybe if your lucky you can find a single recto used below a grand, sorry to say being a recto player for many years no one else can emulate that tone exactly
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I've found a bunch of single and even dual rectos for under $950 on ebay.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
What music do you intend to use it for? Everyone from Santana to Metallica uses/used Messy Buggers
well what is your budget, a dual would get you a great recto tone at a great recto wattage
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
You could try and get a Laney AOR head off of ebay. They can produce tones that are similar to mesas and marshalls.
well i don't really wanna spend more than £400 i play metal and love the high gain tone you get from a mesa
Edit: atm i just have a peavey practice amp so im looking to upgrade to something a little but louder!
Last edited by slidemetal at Jan 15, 2007,
GO PEAVEY! peavy are the RAWKS. go for the 6505, or the Triple XXX or equivalent. you like your practice amp, right?
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
yeah my practice amp is awesome but as soon as i crank it up it loses all gain
im not exactly sure how much £400 is.... i dont know if you could pick up a peavey xxx combo or not...
well by mesa tone do you mean recto, or mark?

and then you're in the uk, so good luck getting a mesa for under 1000 quid. that goes for peavey, they cost a lot more in the U.K. than they do here in the states.

(for those who don't know, 400 quid is around $800 USD)

if i were you, i'd look into a laney.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
recto and yeah i no its gonna be very expensive even second hand but i thought you guys might beable to point in the direction of something similar ( and yess i no how unique the mesa tone is)
id have to say im quite happy with my XXX combo... i got it for $600 USD but yeah i dont know what tone your going for.. its on the brighter side compared to peavey's 6505 and such... but derek says theyre alot more in UK and im sure he knows what he's talking about....
well seeing as things produced here in the US cost a lot more to ship to the UK, they cost more there. same thing goes for laney/marshal/ENGL over here, we pay more for them than they do in europe.

seeing as you're in the UK, i'd look at laney. it's really hard to say seeing as mesa is the only guitar amp company that likes sound like bass ampes, it'll be hard to find that among the more mild mannered amp companies of the rest of the market.

laney (vh100r?)
ENGL screamer combo.

i highly suggest you try those two.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09

seeing as you're in the UK, i'd look at laney.

I'd definitely agree with that, but maybe consider the GH series rather than the VH (not quite as high gain, not as good at lower levels and of course, more expensive!). A GH50L would be more than powerful enough, and would give you a very nice metal crunch. If you're worried about the fact that they're only single channel, check out this thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505095 where I was explaining how you can still get a wide range of tones from it.

If you check out eBay, you can probably pick one up for about £250-275. You could then get a Marshall 2x12 or something and probably be bang on budget.
Yeah I'd go Laney, however the GH series don't sound that similar to Mesa's imo. Look into the Laney AOR series. They are discontinued but they go quite cheap on Ebay.