The straight line y=2x + c is a tangent to the curve =x^2 + 6x + 7.

A) Determine the value of the constant c.

should know it, but cant think of how o do it atm :[
well thats what Im thinking but it doesnt quite seem to fit in my mind, dont know why.

on second thoughts it does work, It just eludes me exactly why.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Last edited by dnjoe at Jan 14, 2007,
once you've differentiated it, you find what x equals when y is 0 I think. I should know this too... I outta revise maths more

Then sub that into the original equation and thats it...i think
No when you differntiate the curve you get the gradient function of the curve. Because it is 2x the gradient of the tanget is 2. Therefore 2=2x+6, 2x=-4, x=-2. Sub x=-2 into y=2x+c and solve it for c when y=0.
Quote by shmooty
once you've differentiated it, you find what x equals when y is 0 I think. I should know this too... I outta revise maths more

Then sub that into the original equation and thats it...i think

no that would give you the gradient when y=0......aswell as the fact that we're dealing with the y-intercept(x=0) as opposed to the x-intercept(y=0).

I get it to be that when the tangent touches the curve they both have th same gradient so dy/dx = 2.

so 2x + 6 = 2

x = -2

when x = -2 y = -1

y = 2x + c

-1 = -4 + c

c = 3

doesnt seem right though.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
well its calculus, no idea when you guys start that in the US. Not particularly complicated stuff though.
Quote by MadClownDisease