I am very confused and embarrassed of this, ive been playing for a while and ive been playing pentatonic scales for a long time too, but i have no clue as to why they are shaped and formed the way they are, i looked at the lesson, and i really have no idea how they are put together its very frustrating i have no clue as to where the five notes that you find with the 1 2 3 4 5 6 thing come into play, someone please help me out
No i dont know where you use those notes or whatever like the system thing...im very confused on how they are set up the way they are
Pentatonics only have FIVE tones thats why they are shaped like they are. Just leave it at that or google what you dont know.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
fucking n00b.

*jumping peppers*<_>
pentatonics are really a minor scale thats was reduced with some of his notes
there are trillion and gazillion scales (even egyptian, greek and joe's enigmatic) out there in the world and are made with different notes, notes that when come with one another posses "tastes".
try playing a normal pentatonic pattern...then a blues...notice the "taste" left/felt when playing the blue note??? thats the "magic" of scales, different scales for different people and tastes.
(except chromatic which has all of the notes there for posses all "flavors" and no absolute uniqueness).
the pentatonic scale wasn't born in modern times, many cultures through all times used that scale.
Well Pentatonic scale is basically a 5 note scale.. consisting of the:

Root (1) - 2nd - 3rd - 5th - 6th and and Octave notes.. if im not mistaken that is..

In other words, it would look like this:

-----------------------------------------5---8------
----------------------------------5--8--------------
-------------------------5---7--------------------- This being an Aminor or Cmaj Pentatonic
-----------------5---7-------------------------------- Scale, depends on which root note choose
---------5---7--------------------------------------- you choose to emphasize.
--5--8-----------------------------------------------

Other than that, i dont know what else you dont know about it..

Edit: They come into play in almost any song. In almost any or even every song you can apply the Pentatonic scale. But its mostly used in Rockish stuff like AcDc and what not because it sounds very raw like. Very straightforward if you will.. peace
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Last edited by xtopher_aaron at Jan 14, 2007,
Heres the deal:

C major scale (no sharps, no flats): C D E F G A B (C)

Penatonic minor scales use the 1st, flat 3rd, 4th, 5th and flat 7th degrees of the scale.
Pentatonic major scales use the 1st, 2nd 3rd 5th and 6th degrees of the scale.
Therefore,
C major pentatonic: C D E G A (C)
C minor pentatonic: C Eb F G Bb (C)

Ta da!

Also, stargazers signature made me laugh out loud.
edit: That's what happens when you don't check your work. I feel shame.
"Les Paul is more filling"
~Zakk Wylde~
Last edited by LesPaulverizer at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by LesPaulverizer
Penatonic scales use the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th degrees of the scale.

Therefore,
C major pentatonic: C E F G B (C)
C minor pentatonic: C Eb F G Bb (C)

No. The major pentatonic scale in the key of C is C - D - E - G - A, not C - E - F - G - B.
I feel like a fool. Thanks for pointing out my shortcomings, bambi.
"Les Paul is more filling"
~Zakk Wylde~
But why are those 5 notes even needed, why do you use them, i understand how they are found but i dont know how to aply them
They're needed because they're the five notes that make up the scale, and give you a pentatonic sound. If you don't have the five notes of the pentatonic scale, you don't have a pentatonic scale. If you think that all scales have to be major or minor, with seven notes and the octave, you're wrong. The pentatonic scale originated in China, I believe, and thus did not adhere to Western scale forms. I hope that helps.