Right, I realize most of you here probably won't care, but I am extremely frustrated at the moment so I'm going to write this hopefully educational rant.

Before you pick up the phone or open the door to whatever place where you're going to speak to someone, be it a guitar store, a McDonalds, a tech support call centre (especially if it's the UK Online call centre since that's where I work ), or anything similar really, do take the time to figure out what exactly do you need so you don't waste your own and our time. Do realize you'll have to accept the fact that we, the service people, do have our guidelines to follow, and try to understand that more often than not we DO want to help you - even if it's only because helping you is the only way we get rid of you. Do keep in mind that thinking you know better and trying to show us how knowledgeable and awesome you are is most likely just going to piss us off and make us hate you. Try to understand that if you're getting sh!tty service, in 99% of the cases it has NOTHING to do with the people you'll be speaking to, and getting all angry and obnoxious will only make things harder for both you and us.

The best thing you can do, is calmly and politely say what you want, or what your problem is, listen to us as closely as we listen to you, be friggin' NICE and COOPERATIVE - and in pretty much every case, you WILL receive better service than if you'll act like an utter dickwad, not to mention the time and nerves saved.

Graaargh.

I wonder if this thread is stupid and will just get flamed/locked. Oh well, w/e.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Thank you for that informative thread. I now have a greater understanding of the never-ending torment that customer-service people must endure every day.

I actually find yelling at the service people gets me what I want. But I only yell when it really is their fault.

And sometimes I actually do know more than the tech support...
I worked at a customer support office for a while. One time, i talked to some guy who sounded like he his throat was ripped out. His e-mail had the word matador in it.
Thorns Of Creation
Melodic Death Metal from Oregon
Check us out.

Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.
Hey, if being an ass gets you what you want, more power to you, but eventually it'll just get you shot.

As one of perhaps 20 or so Ug-ers who works in customer service (kidding) I gots to aggree with ar73m. Treating people like they humans they are will get you far, and mabye a little further.
Quote by Archaon
I actually find yelling at the service people gets me what I want. But I only yell when it really is their fault.

And sometimes I actually do know more than the tech support...

Dude, listen to someone who's at the other end I get calls from people who 'know their stuff' too, but the thing is, ANY consumer-oriented tech support center will have a set of guidelines all the agents HAVE to follow, so when you start trying to tell them what you think needs to be done... it's not helping, they still have to go through the basic steps in the guide unless they want to get shouted at by the managers.

And as for the yelling part, even if they're being slow or whatever... Imagine yourself spending say 6 hours dealing with all sorts of sometimes not-so-pleasant people, then you get a call from someone who thinks they're be-all end-all of the universe and start screaming at you, how would you feel? Sure, it's their job and all that, but we're all human, you know.

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Quote by YouKnowYourRite
Whats the salary like at a call centre ? Always seemed like a fun job

It's usually not much higher than the nat. min., though I guess nat.min. is pretty good in the UK these days. Most will also offer perfomance bonuses, so it's not too hard to get anything up to 7.50£ an hour if you actually do your job properly. Any large call centre will also have promotion opportunities etc; though the whole 'fun job' is not really true. If you're unlucky enough to work in a busy call centre, you'll probably hate life after a week of work there. Hell, I usually only spend maybe 2-3 hours a day on the phone, but I get really sick and tired of all the douchebags by the end of the day. Can't imagine how it would feel to take calls non stop for the entier day - and I know some people have to do that.

Or you could go for outbound sales - that's quite a queer job imo but some people like it, and you can get a lot of comission pay as well, people cash in up to 30 grands per year doing that.

I know it doesn't get you better service, but it's really funny listening to my dad shout at people over the phone.
Need.New.Sig.
I know how you feel. I am a cashier at a store and I get loads of rude people. The other day I was working and I was the only cashier there with no back up person. So naturally I had a big line. So when the lady that was at the end of the line came up she had to return an item. Now let me tell you that ALL returns at my store are done at the cosmetics dept. So I told her that.

She flipped out on me when all I did was tell her something that was store policy. She started yelling things like, "You mean to tell me that I was waiting all this time with a bag in my hand and you didn't tell me anything!" All I said was "I'm sorry ma'm". I should have said that loads of people buy things at the photo or pharmacy register and have bags with them, it doesn't mean they are going to return something. So then I said. "Alright have a nice night." Then she looked at me with a disgusted stare and said some smart ass remark, " I would but you just ****ing ruined it" then stormed out.

I also have alot of people flip out on me when there's computer errors. To them it MY fault that the register isn't accepting their card.....assholes.
Yeah, I've worked in 3 call centres now. I'm incredibly helpful and friendly, and if you're nice to me, I'd do anything to sort the problem out for you.... but when people get stroppy with me, i think... pffft, why should I bother?
I've actually laughed down the phone at a broker that was ranting at me... he shut up straight away, and started being civil.

So yeah.. just be nice
Quote by PneumaticVermin
You guys have it easy. I work at Blockbuster...

Want to further explain? I don't know about your blockbuster but the one I regularly go to is fairly quiet and the cashier is just sitting there relaxing most of the time.
Ive got the best customer-related job in the world. Bartending. Its so much fun, talking to them all day, no two days are the same. Im not completely a bartender yet, I barback and im training to bartend, but I still spend 75% of my time behind the bar talking to people. I have more fun having conversations with drunk people than any job ive ever had.