> I recently got an Epiphone Valve Junior all-tube amp, my first tube amp. When I got it, the fellow I was purchasing it from demonstrated how it sounds exactly like his 1938 Epiphone amp. That was interesting. But this ****er is LOUD! To get natural overdrive, I'd have to turn it up to volumes that you'd here halfway down the black. Just turning it halfway up, you can here the amp from across the street. This is UNACCEPTABLE.

This amp has GREAT tone, but I cannot reach natural overdrive levels without having police showing up at my door. Any solutions that wouldn't require monetary investments? I have a TS-808 Tubescreamer, a 7 band EQ pedal, and nothing else that would be particularly useful. The Tubescreamer isn't giving me the amps natural distortion. Any ideas? If not, care to share how you can reach natural overdrive levels with your tube amp?

If I buffered it with towels, and put the amp in a couple cardboard boxes, would I get any reasonable reduction in volume (without getting terrible muffled tone)?

I can't even imagine reaching breakup levels with a 60< watt tube amp. According to what I read, a 5 watt tube amp is 50% as loud as a 50 watt tube amp. Good God... Cheers.
well just get a vox 15 wat ,its perfect
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
well just get a vox 15 wat ,its perfect

That's not a tube amp, and has no relevence to the discussion.
it is a tube amp a valve and a tube are the same thing...
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
have a look see if anyones managed to make a mod for more overdrive, with less gain. Or a hotplate might help
use headphones then turn it up to 10?
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
Quote by pigeonkicker
use headphones then turn it up to 10?

Hah! that would make you more deaf then all the members of The Who combined!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The only sutable solution I can think of is getting an autenator device, their pretty expensive, but they'll work with all amps you are ever going to buy.

You should take a look here: http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

The speaker motor models tend to draw verry little tone out of your amp, so they are prefered, but the resitor models are cheaper but draw a lot of tone at high levels.

And DO NOT ever disconnect the speaker and use a headphone. You'll blow your transformers and damdge your ears, if there is any sound coming through the headphones
Quote by Def
have a look see if anyones managed to make a mod for more overdrive, with less gain. Or a hotplate might help

There is a mod to add a master volume knob, which should do the trick.

Otherwise, enjoy the sound of your TS808, and only crank the amp when no one's around to bother.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You don't to use headphones with a tube amp....

Quote by sirlimecat

The Valvetronix is not a tube amp. It is not. No.

I'm aware of various mods, but I don't have any money for anything like that right now. I guess I'll have to get an isolation cabinet when I get some money. :l
Quote by spittle8
The Valvetronix is not a tube amp. It is not. No.

Yes, but it is also not a valve amp lol
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
Quote by spittle8
I'm aware of various mods, but I don't have any money for anything like that right now.

Take a look at the gear building forum.

If you have access to a soldering iron and some confidence, you should be able to put in a master for under $10.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
that weird. i have a 50 watt tube amp and i turn up to 6 all the time.
but it still have the year old power tubes in it...
are you over exaggerating, or does my amp just suck ass?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-

Your amp probably has a more audio-tapered volume control- which means it will stay reasonably quiet from 0 to 6 or 7 and then get ungodly loud from 7 to 10. The more linear taper of the Epi means it gets louder sooner on the knob.
Quote by danzig-_-

Same here, 50 watt tube amp and I regularly turn it up past halfway without any complaints from neighbors. Threadstarter, have you actually checked the volume outside your house? It probably can't be heard (at levels that would be annoying) halfway down the block unless you point your cab out an open window.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
master volume/get used to it

a 300 dollar attenuator on a 5 watt amp that cost about a hundred dollars is kinda...no.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by danzig-_-

I quite literally agree with your signature.

I've turned a 100 watt tube amp past 3, and it wasn't yet deafening. A 50 watt tube amp will generally get pretty nasty around 3 or 4, after which, I have little experience. It depends on the amp, in my experience. But, yes, that seems a bit strange. Like I said, my 5 watt tube amp is audible outside my house if I turn it past 5. Maxed, the volume is ridiculously loud. That's my dilemma.

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I'm aware of the various mods, I was just wondering what I could do right now, without any modifications or money. Hahahaha. Cheers.
Do you have the combo or the head and a cab?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
The combo. The combo is actually louder than playing with the volume knob (on the Epi) maxed through a Marshall tube cabinet. That disturbed me slightly...
I've got a 50 watter, it's not really too loud.

Anyways, attenuator, or just blast it. Come on man, it's rock 'n roll!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by sirlimecat

Well is you specified what Vox then we would know what you meant... Vox do hybrids aswell..
Quote by spittle8
The combo. The combo is actually louder than playing with the volume knob (on the Epi) maxed through a Marshall tube cabinet. That disturbed me slightly...

You're just being a pussy.

But seriously man, the combo isn't that loud, I play it cranked up all the time and my neighbours (or even my family) never complain, despite the fact that I live in a semi-detatched house.

Really, if you can't crank up a 5 watt valve amp without bitching then maybe you should stick with SS.

The only plausible way to reduce the volume would be to add a master volume pot, but then you'd still lose the power amp OD.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Untitled001
Well is you specified what Vox then we would know what you meant... Vox do hybrids aswell..

hybrid=marketing solid state
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I never play with the volume below 12 o'clock on my 6 watt Champ, and that's not too loud. I can turn it up all the way without the neighbours complaining (my parents are a whole different issue ).

I think the thread starter is exaggerating a bit.
either do the master volume mod, or else try setting your ts808 up with the level on full, drive/gain/od on 0, and tone around noon.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I've got a 50 watter, it's not really too loud.

Anyways, attenuator, or just blast it. Come on man, it's rock 'n roll!

I appreciate that, but none of you likely live in Detroit. I don't want to attract more attention to myself than necessary, because I'm a white speck living in a black sea. The houses here are thin and dinky, and I checked personally on it, and when I have the volume at 6, it is quite audible on the sidewalk. Approaching 8, the volume is obnoxiously loud outside. I have personally confirmed this. I am not exagerating. Cheers.
i second/triple the motion of getting a master volume. its kinda handy.
i turn the master volume to about 12 0'clock, then mess with the level knob accordingly. it gets pretty hardcore tone at low volumes.
or use your guitars volume. crank the amp, with full distortion, then level down your guitars volume. should give a cool overdriven sound with crunch.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
funny, the master volume trick really doesnt improve the od/tone on my dsl-401. Yet i keep seeing everyone say they use it as a alternative to attenuator
^ ?

the VJ has no way of getting overdrive at low volumes. It's not a way to improve the tone, it's a way to get OD at lower volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Set your amp to max volume

Tube screamer = gain etc 0
Volume on 1 or 2 (depends)

EQ pedal - whatever
maybe a pentod/triode switch to lower the wattage/ voltage. Kerry (1800ksmyazz) put on e in his and it is quieter with better overdrive at lower volumes.

i come from a very music rich background, an had an opportunity to go to a soundproofed practice room in my principle's (small school) house. he had egg crates and blankets on the wall, try that on your room
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.