I have a Schecter S1 Elite with a mahogany body and Duncan Designed pickups. They aren't producing a heavy enough tone for me. I play through an Ashdown Fallen Angel, playing alot of A7X, Metallica, GnR and Deftones. I'm looking for something with a nice clean sound, but an even nicer and versatile distortion. Any recommendations? Have been looking at Invaders, and a few Swineshead models.
Active EMGs are always a good option for metal. You might also want to look at some of the better passive Seymour Duncans
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
yes a Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck is always a solid combination... dont worry about them not being hot enough, both Lamb of God guitarists have '59s.

and personnally, i hate EMG cleans
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
yes a Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck is always a solid combination... dont worry about them not being hot enough, both Lamb of God guitarists have '59s.

and personnally, i hate EMG cleans

I agree with the part about the ducans but emg actives do sound good clean, some just alot better than others
the two guys above me got both recommendations i was gonna make so yeah...either the duncan jb/'59 (a7x uses those) or the active emg's, probably the 81/85 (metallica uses emg's). the duncans are pretty well balanced, but the emg's will give u great distortion and the best pinch harmonics ever.

BTW: emg's will give u good cleans if u know how to set up ur amp's drive.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i guess im the only fan of dimarzios here, check out the evos. i love the sound steve vai gets outta, them the distortion is great, can be messy like black sabbath or tight punchy, depends on your playing style. the cleans are pretty nice too, but since these are really high output for passive humbuckers, youd probably need to play around with some settings on your amp to get a good tone.
I have the JB/59 combo on a Schecter Blackjack and its very good for metal/rock and also quite good with clean parts. Very flexible. I'm considering switching the JB out for a Dimebucker though, as I'd like a hotter pickup (i can still use my '59 in the bridge for clean stuff).
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Swineshead are the best value for pickups in the UK, probably a Warthog/Condor combo. The JB can be thin and trebly, rubbish cleans, invaders are just crap. A pair of Duncan Distortions might be good for you seeing as you've got mahogany. Also, don't forget that the Fallen Angel isn't a gain monster - no pickup on earth will turn it into a recto.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Swineshead are the best value for pickups in the UK, probably a Warthog/Condor combo. The JB can be thin and trebly, rubbish cleans, invaders are just crap. A pair of Duncan Distortions might be good for you seeing as you've got mahogany. Also, don't forget that the Fallen Angel isn't a gain monster - no pickup on earth will turn it into a recto.

Seconded on the pickups.

That's interesting about the fallen angel. Aren't they marketed as really evil bastards?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
That's interesting about the fallen angel. Aren't they marketed as really evil bastards?

Apparently so, I actually bought mine before I'd seen them advertised, the lad who teaches at one of the local shops plays and he advised me to try it out. I thought it looked kind of retro, it's got a great, classic valve tone and is ballsy as hell, but it's not what I'd call a gain monster. However, there's no sounds you couldn't get out of it with the right stomps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Thirded on the Swinies
Quote by steven seagull

+1 on the swineys. jb cleans are actually alright for such a high gain pickup, but the distortion is thin, IMO. EDIT: it's implied that invaders are just shit, especially in mahogany.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys, how much would I be looking at for the Swineshead pair? And are they easy to fit?
^ £90 i think? maybe add like 99p postage or something.

They're the same to fit as any other pickup in terms of time/effort... just depends if you feel up to it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just check out their website, its around £90. Maybe the Venom would be better? Supposed to be a bit heavier I thought....
^ haven't tried it, but judging by the EQ chart it's brighter, and heavier (more gain). Also being ceramic, it'll have a harder edge to the tone. really depends what you want, and what your guitar/amp is etc. EDIT; for the tones you've suggested, I'd say warthog, but best bet is to email swineshead to be sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?