My friend needs to improvise the bass line for "Slow Dancing in A Burning Room" by John Mayer, so I was just trying to find him get the key of the song.

I've figured out the notes used are A-B-C#-D-E-F-G#

The backing chords are C#m-A Major and Emajor.

Any help appreciated
Chord roots are always safe to play as a bass player.
A bit more advanced is chord tones.
When he's gotten both of those, he can try adding little runs as fillers
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
The problem with root stuff is the song has alot of bass that leads the way until guitar fills for most of the song. So he plays a bit, then I'd come it with a little lick. Well thats how it is for most of the verses anyways.

I've come up with it being C# Locrian. Any comfirmation?
Quote by Wa-shout
The problem with root stuff is the song has alot of bass that leads the way until guitar fills for most of the song. So he plays a bit, then I'd come it with a little lick. Well thats how it is for most of the verses anyways.

I've come up with it being C# Locrian. Any comfirmation?

Actually, it's C# Phrygian since it's the 3rd mode of A major.
it's not C# locrian. i messed up. i think yours is wrong too.

C# phrygian has F C and G as sharps. F is supposed to be natural in this song though. So you have to lower the 4th. What would that make it?
They are the notes of A harmonic minor, but if the tonic is C# it must be some kind of mode of the harmonic minor. There was a thread in MT about them the other day.

Edit: What was I thinking?! sorry, disregard my post.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Last edited by Ænimus Prime at Jan 14, 2007,