Playing the guitar with a bow!!!

Well... sort of.

Is it normal to have a slight bowing of the neck, or is it supposed to be totally straight?

Because my guitar has a slight bend in the neck and I don't know what to do about it.
most guitars have a bow in the neck, this is for greater tone and sustain.
only shred machines have flat necks because speed is increased
:snyper:
feels wierd typing that
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
It shouldn't be significant though, it should be very slight. You can check your neck by fretting the first and last frets (might want to use a capo or something to help) and measuring the distance at around the 7th fret. Depending on your preference you might want about a credit card's width distance between the string and the fret. If the gap is too wide, you need to tighten your truss rod, which anyone who is not a retard should be able to handle. Just loosen your strings a little and tighten it about a quarter turn, wait a day and check it again.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by permanentmarker

feels wierd typing that

wow i didnt know that, i seriously thought your neck should be strait all the way thru, how does it help the tone and sustain?
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
Wait, necks are bowed so that u won't get fret buzz when u play a string. Notice how the string moves when u pluck it, it makes a slightly ovalish shape (you should know this from a physics class when u studied waves). Well, the neck should have a similar shape. Right?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
What concerned me is that I put heavy strings on this guitar and I thought maybe they were "pulling" the neck into a bend. How do I adjust a truss rod, anyway?
there should be a cover at the front of the headstock right next to the nut, or just a hole, and theres an alan screw in there, you can adjust it from there, or at the base of the neck on some guitars theres a hole, with the same alan screw *its normally an alan screw* and you adjust it accordingly
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
Yep, that's how u fix it. But concidering that u didn't know about the truss rod, i recommend taking it to a pro shop and have them do it. If u do it urself u might end up snapping ur guitar neck in two pieces.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Yes, normally whenever I try to fix anything I end up damaging it further. Probably best to take it to a pro.
At first I thought he meant playing with a violin's bow....
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Quote by Good Riddance
At first I thought he meant playing with a violin's bow....

Yes, that was my intention. I thought I would give a boring thread an interesting name.

You're confusing a neck bow with fretboard radius...nobody's neck should be bowed as such. Neck relief is easy to check - fret a string at the first and last fret, the string should be close s dammit to the frets. If there's more than a credit card thickness than the neck has a forward bow and the truss rod needs tightening slightly, if the strings are flat against the frets then there's a backwards bow and the rod needs loosening slightly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by fimbulwinter
Yes, that was my intention. I thought I would give a boring thread an interesting name.

Damn you sir, I too was expecting an interesting thread on that little jimmy page trick.
Quote by permanentmarker
feels wierd typing that

I think Im the only one that caught that.

But this guy is right too.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
guitars are usually set up with some relief to make them easier to play

necks set up perfectly straight require an EXTREMELY light touch to play without buzz