I was recently surfing Youtube, looking for awesome music, and I suddenly came across Andy Mckee, Don Ross, and Antonie Dufour. Clear to say, I found my new "Idols" of guitar (Although I still enjoy Hendrix and Page ^_^). These guys seem to be on another level all together when it comes to music and I want learn how to play this...fast, furious finger style guitar that leaves me be in awe. I've never tried finger style except messing around but I want to know, what is the best way to practice? I use all my fingers right now, my Thumb for the Low E and A and my other 4 for DGBE. How can I maximize my practice time?
theres a thing called 'clawhammer' and its a method of fingerpicking originally coined by banjo players i think. Its used alot and can be played really fast over and over without much thought as to what your doing becuase its the same sorta pattern.

this may help:
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/stadler/clawhammer_guitar/Clawhammer_Guitar_Basics.html

or just keep surfin the net for a better lesson or ask a mate.

goodluck
with fingerstyle its always great to surf the web alot and read up on the origins, and the lesser known players. this helped me with my understanding of the genre.
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
with most fingerstyle guitarist i think that u dont use ur pinky... the standard is to use ur thumb for the E, D, and A strings..... and if ur just starting out i would use some basic chord shapes and practice different picking patterns.... try tears in heaven by eric clapton... thats a good one to learn
Thanks alot for the help guys, I have another question though. Nails, Finger Picks, Hybrid Picking or just fingers, which is the best? Growing my nails out to professional lengths wouldn't work for me (avid nail bitter ^_^) so can I still achieve great speed with other tools?
Easy... which ever is best for you!

I've been playing fingerstyle for 4 years now and there's nothing better in my opinion. Pain in the a55 retuning all the time but its great.

You want to get hold of everything by Michael Hedges, he is the father of fingerstyle, pretty much invented it and some would say the most gifted guitarist born...

Try Ragamuffin, Aerial Boundaries, Ritual Dance, Rickover's Dream to start, they're classics, should be tabs out there if not pm me.

Good luck, its worth it in the end.

ps... didnt know clapton did a fingerstyle version of tears in heaven lol
ead is w/ thumb
g is index
b middle
e ring

reaosn why pinky isnt used to pick is b/c it is connected to your ring finger and will get in the way

pink is used so special strums though
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by Vermillion2021
Thanks alot for the help guys, I have another question though. Nails, Finger Picks, Hybrid Picking or just fingers, which is the best? Growing my nails out to professional lengths wouldn't work for me (avid nail bitter ^_^) so can I still achieve great speed with other tools?

Same here, but I have switched to acryllic nails on the right hand. Works beautifully.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Great to see the interest growing in fingerstyle, it's a beautiful thing. My advice is to grab a classical guitar and learn on that, you'll find it much easier.

Everything else has been said. Good luck!!

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
My advice to you would be, try to get the song you are interests you in TAB/Sheet Music form, as well as an MP3.

Then, play the MP3, and as you listen to it, follow along with your finger across the TAB or Sheet Music.

Once you have the song firmly set in your memory, rule a red line on the TAB/Sheet Music (vertically) at the end of every 4 bars. Learn the first 4 bars, and just spend hours learning that, then, when you have it nailed, do the next 4 bars, and so on.

You should have the song down in 2 days. Thats how long it takes me, you might be faster.

But the whole idea is to break it up into chunks you can manage, otherwise it is too overwhelming.

With this method, I have learned songs I never thought possible.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

~ DJ

PS

Thumb Pics are very handy, you should get one, and see if it works for you. Get a Dunlop 94530 Nickel Silver Thumb pick, it's the model that doesn't protrude out a long way. (It is the only one with the little holes).

It gives your bass line a unique sound, and once you have it mastered, it almost sounds like a bass player is accompanying you as you play, as it rings out a sound vastly different to the usual acoustic bass sound.

Jim Dunlop Nickel Silver Thumb Pick

Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 17, 2007,