I'm getting a new guitar fairly soon, and was thinking of looking towards 7 strings. I've tried looking on google and whatnot but nothing seems to answer my question

So simply
a) how difficult is it to make a switch from 6-7 strings?
b) why go to 7 string? what's the advantage?

sorry if it's a real dumbass question but im not sure how else to ask

thanks =]

xxx
FUCK IT ALL - FUCK THIS WORLD - FUCK EVERYTHING THAT YOU STAND FOR
b: another string...

But to not be an ass... more and higher notes, if your not going to use all 7 strings though, Id say dont get it.
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
its the same as playing a six string but more options
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
seeing as you quoted slipknot in your signature, don't get it, cause your probably always using 2 strings like them.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
i have a 7-string
i didnt find much of a difference
just that you have an extra low B string to play on and scare the little kids with your satanic music and whatnot

But it seriously isn't that much of a change
I have found it is harder to play the really fast stuff on though because the neck is pretty fat
That just means you have to practise a little more
Gooby Pls.
heh cheers dudes - any answers for the first one?

and i rarely ever play slipknot, i tend to play dream theater more than anything at the moment

xxx
ah thanks =D
I just got an Ibanez RG 7-string two weeks ago. For most, the change from a 6 to a 7-string takes anywhere from 1-2 weeks. For me, I actually got used to it within 10-15 minutes.

Someone mentioned that "it is harder to play the really fast stuff on though because the neck is pretty fat..." Maybe they meant that the neck is wider. The neck is definitely thinner than my other RG's. I don't see how he thinks it's harder to play "the really fast stuff". I don't have any problems.

Dream Theater fan, nice! I learned a few songs that required a 7-string on my 6's just so I could play them. Once I got the 7 it was nice to finally be able to play them like they should. I have a short clip of The Glass Prison (played on a 6)I posted recently, maybe I'll record a song or two on the 7, haven't had a chance yet.

What 7-string(s) are you looking into?
the Glass Prison is fun as to play on the 7-string
Also, if u listen 2 Lacuna Coil they have some pretty simple 7-string riffs
Especially in "Swamped"
Gooby Pls.
Was also looking at the RG7! that's a bit neat really

im not quite up to playing dream theater fluidly just yet - i've just about managed to learn most of Overture 1928

The glass prison is an awesome song!! any chance you could send a link to the vid?

Can't say i've heard much Lacuna Coil, might check out some of their stuff

cheers! xx
Look in the 'Guitar Gear & Accessories' area of this site and look for a thread I made "Pics and Clips of my stuff"
That was really good man! Most likely won't be playing that song for quite a while

you should look into learning some "cacophony"

Marty Friedman and Jason Becker = WOW

I'm trying to learn "savage", but i can only play the first minute or so =[

how long have ya played for man?

xx
the neck is wider to accomidate the 7th string, so it will feel odd b/c if your like me, you have your thumb swung over in the baseball bat posistion.

i personaly wouldn't buy a 7 string if you only want to play a few songs that have 7 strings, you have alternatives
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Im not planning to just learn other peoples songs, hopefully when i get better im hoping to compose.

Not planning to be the next Yngwie Malmsteen or whatnot, lil more realistic

I guess everyone wants to do that really

but still... meh
Quote by gonzo.carl
That was really good man! Most likely won't be playing that song for quite a while

you should look into learning some "cacophony"

Marty Friedman and Jason Becker = WOW

I'm trying to learn "savage", but i can only play the first minute or so =[

how long have ya played for man?

xx

Pretty crazy, I'm actually listening to Cacophony right now (Where My Fortune Lies)! I've been playing for about 14 years. Dream Theater isn't the only stuff I play. I play a lot of instrumental music, jazz, blues, rock, metal... I'm currently working on recording a few of my originals for a demo, but I've been listening to too much Pablo, Racer X, and Nuno Bettencourt lately. So, that's been sort of in the way, lol. I'm just about done with B.R.O. and Scarified. I finished figuring out Scarified today, just cleaning it up and getting it up to speed. I'll post clips when I get a chance to record.
Dream Theater is probably the most complex stuff i play - the rest is Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, occasionally slipknot, and other random bands

pretty much if i hear something good i'll find a tab for it and give it a try

Racer X = awesome - technical difficulties is one of my favourite instrumentals ever

Im mainly into playing rock and metal at the mo but im pretty diverse in what i listen to, so who knows?

xx
Like TinTin8 said, I really wouldn't recommend a 7 just for learning/playing one or two songs. It wouldn't be a waste, but it'll probably be sitting on a stand more than being played, especially if you can't get used to the 7.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Like TinTin8 said, I really wouldn't recommend a 7 just for learning/playing one or two songs. It wouldn't be a waste, but it'll probably be sitting on a stand more than being played, especially if you can't get used to the 7.

Unfortunately that is the way many people view sevens. They offer a huge advantage over a six string, because while you really only get an extra 5 steps lower on the lowest string, you are able to play things written on a 7 string as well as those written on a six. My main guitar is a seven string, but it doesn't stop me from playing anything that most people would use a sixer for. In fact, I usually make use of the extra string by utilizing the note that is right there without having to move down the neck. It also can eliminate the need to retune to play a song. An example of this would be "As I Am" by Dream Theater. It's usually played on a down tuned six string. There's actually a tab on this site with it arranged for a seven string.

While tuning the guitar differently can get confusing, if you take the time to get used to it, it offers a tremendous advantage to your playing.
i was thinking that same thing. you dont need to have a six string guitar to play a song that only requires 6 strings.you dont HAVE to use that 7th string in the songs you play. the next guitar i buy might be a 7 string in fact.
Quote by Guitarmiester

yep, my friend has an RG and all he got it for was to play some korn songs, and all that thing does now is collect dust
Quote by moonhawk
i was thinking that same thing. you dont need to have a six string guitar to play a song that only requires 6 strings.you dont HAVE to use that 7th string in the songs you play. the next guitar i buy might be a 7 string in fact.

Really, a good way to put it is like this:

A 7-string can do everything a 6-string can, but a six cannot do everything a seven can.
I made the switch pretty easy, its weird at first but weird in a good way
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
Quote by Buzz762
Really, a good way to put it is like this:

A 7-string can do everything a 6-string can, but a six cannot do everything a seven can.

exactly. couldnt put it better.
thanks all =D

i might get a 7 string, im not sure still

but my friend owns one so im gonna try it out today

xx
see- Nevermore!!!!!
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]