alright, i have a epiphone les paul classic with stock pickups. I run through a 1996 Crate Vintage 50 tube amp (stock tubes) and a boss sd-1,chorus and compression pedal.

the problem is that i dont get near the sound that i want. i really like the distortion on the amp but it is just not enough. it is like AC/DC and i need guns n roses. i want a deep sustained distortion. i thought that a little bit of the ds-1 on top of the dirty channel and a little chorus form the pedal would get me that but its not.

so, is there any specific way i should be running those pedals (right now it is sd-1,chorus and then comp). should i try changing tubes? should i try changing speakers, pickups? or do i just not have the gear to get that sound.

any suggestions will be helpful

gear
epiphone classic goldtop les paul (seymour duncan alnico 2 pickups)
fender highway one stratocaster (lace holy grail pickups)
alvarez artist acostic
epiphone les paul 100 (signed by kenny wayne shepherd)
misc. pedals
peavey classic 30 (JJ tubes)
You will get the vintage rock sound with a crate/fender style amp. Try playing through a marshall emulator.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
I guess you could use a gibson les paul, or at least buy yourself a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro's. This are the pickups that slash uses today. Got one myself, in bridge position. And it is much better than the standard pickup that I had on my Les Paul Firebrand from 1980(think it had the same pickups as the les paul classics have today.)

I haven't got much experience with epiphones, but I know that Gibson Les Pauls are known for their sustain and depth.

However, try boosting you lower and mid section of the EQ and turn down your "high" and use your bridge pickup for GNR-riffs. Then you should get a nice crunchy tone, with a good deal of sustain too. It works for me.

EDIT: a metal distortion pedal will be better for GNR than the ds-1. In my opinion though. Digitech DF-7 or the Digitech Metal Master(?) are highly recommended
Last edited by Matsols at Jan 14, 2007,
Maybe try adding a DS-1, DS-2, MT-2, something like that. You can keep your overdrive as a boost, but I think what you want is more gain.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
i suggest buying some new pickups (seymour duncans) and buy something along the lines of an ol' marshall drive master or one of the new marshall pedals i.e. jackhammer or guv'nor two (they're cheap but they are actually rather good). the marshall pedals sort of act like you've just put a marshall (pre)amp in your chain.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
thank u for the replys. i guess it is just the gear i have, nothing technical then? is there any difference in the way the pedals are run through on the chain?
epiphone classic goldtop les paul (seymour duncan alnico 2 pickups)
fender highway one stratocaster (lace holy grail pickups)
alvarez artist acostic
epiphone les paul 100 (signed by kenny wayne shepherd)
misc. pedals
peavey classic 30 (JJ tubes)
Crank the amp, and the level on the overdrive.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Ibanez Tube Screamer.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |