Ok I am learning music theory I am primarly a bassist... But I have a bad tendency to jump around and I believe its probably doing me more harm than good. TO learning a little bit of the major scales and chords to chord progression to how to make a song ect... Whats the best order to learn things, also for playing rock what scales and chords would be best to know by heart.
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
Learn Notes (especially where they are on your guitar/bass) + Intervals. Chords and how to make them using intervals. Scales and how they relate to Intervals.

edit: have you seen the article on UG. "Music Theory:The Beginning?"
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
chronological
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
for playing rock you should know the minor pentatonic scale and powerchords
actually no i don't think i read that article I am gonna go take a look at it.
My Gear

Ibanez GSR 200
Schecter C4
Fender Rumble 100
Yeah it's very well-written. I'm pretty sure slash_pwns(sp?) wrote it.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I would suggest learning the major pattern, which is the same for all of the 12 keys just applied at different spots, and all 12 natural minor keys have relative majors which are identical.

Once you have mastered the basic pattern, you can start crossing major and minors to produce cathartic or jazzy combos, or just develop your skill on the major/minor.
Ya what those guys said is all good but heres my piece of advice. Do not go to fast. Its like a new guitarist just jumping into the mix and trying to learn tons of chords. A couple friends of mine are doing that and getting no where. You just have to take it slow and make sure you know it. Also, refresh youself with it every so often.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help