Alright heres the deal I play mostly Hard Rock with a good amount of Metal and a good amount of Southern Rock/ Blues and I currently own a Hamer Double Cut and play through a 45 watt marshall amp (im obviously looking to upgrade) but I am starting to perfect my tone and I find that my tone is just too thin and i own a MXR Super Comp which i mostly use for a boost for volume and a Chorus pedal which i have no idea exactly what to use it for it was a free gift from someone who had bought a better brand name and i was wondering if these would help me at all and if not then what would.
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
try thicker strings. that'll step up the beefage a little bit. and maybe an overdrive pedal to make your dirty sounds a little more defined.
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
how do you eq it?
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Thanks man any suggestions for pedals?
Quote by Izdigger

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
Quote by xifr
how do you eq it?
Pretty simply I have bass at about 3 or 4 and my contour and trebel at about 7 or 8 I tried adding bass taking out trebel or contour but it sounds TOO bassy and trust me i've OBSESSED with those friggin knobs and nothing seems to work
Quote by Izdigger

Quote by mr kipling
tone knob on guitar, it seems very obvious but i never used it until recently lol
Quote by RHCP Guitar Guy
I finally found the perfect metal tone!!
Here it is
http://www.box.net/to
Guess what gear I'm using

Quote by OldHairyOne
Oh dear god
You butchered a great solo
I'd guess you're using a stray cat and a rock?

Quote by otherkid
i dub ye the man with nicest finished guitars
Oh? Well what would you suggest for a setting on that then? or should i just play with it
Quote by Izdigger

Quote by mr kipling
Quote by The Bad Larry
Pretty simply I have bass at about 3 or 4 and my contour and trebel at about 7 or 8 I tried adding bass taking out trebel or contour but it sounds TOO bassy and trust me i've OBSESSED with those friggin knobs and nothing seems to work

That's not a bad setting, what you'll find is that it sounds really shithouse and thin by yourself, but when you start playing with a band it'll fit in the mix really well, though you may find yourself having to cut the treble a bit if it's too shrill.

EDIT: for above, the tone knob is pretty much a treble cut. However IMO it defeats the purpose a bit if cut treble at the guitar then boost it at the amp.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
alright thanks guys but what about the chorus pedal what the hell is that thing? what do i do with it if not to thicken my sound
Quote by Izdigger

Quote by mr kipling
Quote by The Bad Larry
alright thanks guys but what about the chorus pedal what the hell is that thing?

All you can do is go to a shop and see. However I wouldn't recommend using an effect to try and do something like thicken your tone. It's an effect, and should be used as such.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by The Bad Larry
Thanks man any suggestions for pedals?

any kind of overdrive pedal should work.

check here. there are the ibanez TS808 and TS9 both good well liked overdrive pedals.

on the second page at the top is the zakk wylde overdrive. also good and dependable.

and a little down on the 3rd page is tha maxxon overdrive.

that and the TS808 are a bit pricey. but there are alot more there than what i've said here.
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
turn up your mids.
they always seem to add some nice crunch, and well as help make the tone more distinct an cutting. especially when loud.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by xifr
That's not a bad setting, what you'll find is that it sounds really shithouse and thin by yourself, but when you start playing with a band it'll fit in the mix really well, though you may find yourself having to cut the treble a bit if it's too shrill.

EDIT: for above, the tone knob is pretty much a treble cut. However IMO it defeats the purpose a bit if cut treble at the guitar then boost it at the amp.

+1

My tone, that I use while jamming sounds buzzy thin and crappy when I'm alone. But turn it up and put a band behind it and it sounds awesome. My low volume practice tone sounds like crap when turned up.
I've never tried this with a guitar, but I do it all the time with drums. Try adding what is called an "exciter" delay. Basically, its a delay so short that you can barely hear it, but its not a slap back, it just adds more to the sounds. It obviously will sound weird on its own, but with a mix, it sounds great.