ahh... gonna mic my drums for recording soon, can't decide between a shure drum mic package or a 3-pack of sennheiser e604's.

good things about the shure package: comes with a bass mic, and i could use the sm57's for micing everything else.

bad: gonna have to use a stand for the bass drum mic i think.

good things about the e604's: they're just plainly awesome.

bad: no bass mic, and the others could only be used for drums.

sounds like the shure would win, but do the sennheisers perform better than the shures? i just like them a lot...

shure package

sennheiser package
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Shures are always a good bet.

/thread.

EDIT: You might want to buy another mic, like a SM58, and set it up about 5 or 10 feet from the set so you can pick up a kind of muffled ambient sound.

How are you planning to set up the mics anyways?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Jan 14, 2007,
what's good about the ambience? mostly because i'm not entirely sure what ambience is.

as far as setting up goes, i was going to experiment because i've never worked with drum mics before. but there would be a sm57 on the snare to pick up that and the hi-hat. another over my tom, and the last on the floor tom. the bass mic would be uh, maybe 6 inches from the drum. and for overheads i would use my friends sm48s.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

How much is a mic boom stand? I say go with the shure, and save up for a mic stand.
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by MySweetFracture
How much is a mic boom stand? I say go with the shure, and save up for a mic stand.

the ones on musician's friend are all cheap, and ones around me are cheap and shitty too, i have one, and it's so unsturdy.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

God I need to invest in some recording stuff. I've been using one area mic for the whole kit .
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
It more or less picks up the whole room. When I make demos, I suspend it a few feet directly above the drum kit with a boom, then I put it in the middle of the room for when I do the guitars so that they all sound the same distance. It sounds fine for my purposes, but if you want to sound professional, you should really get stuff made specifically for drums.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
yeah, my friend recorded us a while ago using an area mic. wasn't too happy with the results. so yeah, this is a must have.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.