I've got about $800 to spend on a new amp, I've got a friend at guitar center that can get me cost +10% for anything they carry which comes out to around 20-30% off. The catch is that I currently live in an apartment and would rather not annoy the hell out of the neighbors. I play mostly metal but wouldn't mind an amp with some flexibility and good cleans. With that in mind I've narrowed it down to the following amps:

Vox AD60VTX
Peavy XXX 40w Combo or 6505 Combo

Right now I'm leaning toward the Vox since I can get it for $630 otd and keep the volumes reasonable. However I'm concerned that I won't be able to get much metal crunch out of it, I played around with one in the store a few days ago and wasn't blown away. I hear Peavy's are decent at low volumes and I probably won't need to upgrade for a really long time.

Anyway, thoughts or better suggestions are appreciated.
Nah, not at the moment although I don't mind jamming along with another guitarists from time to time.
Both of the Peaveys get most of their gain from the pre-amp tubes, so having them at low volumes wouldn't hurt it any. But the 6505 isn't a very flexible amp and has mediocre cleans. I'm not sure about the XXX.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
JSX would be a viable option...good cleans, and lots of crunch too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Ive Heard Vox's dont produce a good crunch for metal. A friend of mine plays a XXX and the tone is great IMO.
JSX Combo with an attenuator, might be slightly over budget but it's worth it.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Tough to do metal and get good cleans without going to the boutique.

I think that Vox is really a great amp for what it is: a solid state modeler. Best of that genre, but i'd lean towards the all tube variety if you have the money. If metal's your thing, the 6505 is THE amp. If you want versatility, you may want to look at the Classic 30/50 instead. Nice "jack of all trades" amps.

And, with your budget, deal potential, and neighborly concerns, I'd spring for a little Vox DA5 to play around with when the neighbors are around to be bothered.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Nice thing about the Vox is you can set it's max power to something lower for better OD at lower volumes. Others might have this feature too, not sure.

That's the problem with pure tubes, from what I have heard, they don't sound their best until they get to higher volumes, which isn't a good thing in an apartment. Finding one with a max power setting, like the Vox, would be ideal. Though I think that Vox is a hybrid and not a pure tube.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Last edited by Staz80 at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by slatsmania
Tough to do metal and get good cleans without going to the boutique.

JSX. Get the combo, it will only be a bit over budget, maybe not at all.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
The cleans on the 5150 aren't that bad. Peavey usually has more preamp gain than you could ever use, so they will sound pretty good with the master volume low.

If you're determined to get good cleans, I'd probably go for the JSX. If you don't quite get the gain you're wanting for metal tones, just boost it with a tube screamer.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Thanks for all the replies, I think the JSX might be a bit out of my range I'll try and get some time with the 6505 combo this week before I decide.
An AD60VTX would be nice. Those amps are way better than the normal AD's. They can get some nice metal tones. If you really like it, you could buy it and later get the footswitch(VC-12).
i think you should go for the laney VC 30, great sounds. get a mxr micro amp or equivalent booster, maybe a PINK booster, and then you should be able to get metal out of it. the benefit of this is the truly excellent versatilty you will get.

if not, go for peavey, they have a model that morph power modes for heavier distortion/ better cleans/ etc.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
They aren't carried by GC, I'd rather stick to stuff that I can get a good deal on.