I'm in a musical mid-life crisis right now. I feel an extreme need to be able to read sheetmusic and believe it to be the only thing holding me back musically right now. I realize that many musicians right now aren't even taking this aspect of training seriously and are sticking to tab and I hate being grouped together with these people.
I have the first two (in a series of three) method books by Hal Leonard and having been on and off in my practices with them. Is there anything I should know or anything I can use to enforce what I'm trying so hard to learn? It just doesn't stick. To put it simply, I need some serious help in all aspects of reading standard notation. Response would be much appreciated. Thanks/

LJ

PS: also, please don't post telling me that sightreading is unimportant and I shouldn't worry about it, as even though I respect your thoughts and own ways of playing, I simply feel the complete opposite and disagree with that way of thinking. I'm here to understand all aspects of music and view nothing as unimportant.
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Founder of the Soundgarden Fan Club (Louder Than F*ck!). PM me to join.
http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id82_en.html

Probabaly too basic but meh, just tryin to help?

edit: the whole site basically has shit: http://www.musictheory.net/

edit2: good luck learning to read sheet music in all it's glory. It's a good thing to learn and really something that only about maybe 20% of guitarists know.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by scottishmob
I'm in a musical mid-life crisis right now. I feel an extreme need to be able to read sheetmusic and believe it to be the only thing holding me back musically right now. I realize that many musicians right now aren't even taking this aspect of training seriously and are sticking to tab and I hate being grouped together with these people.
I have the first two (in a series of three) method books by Hal Leonard and having been on and off in my practices with them. Is there anything I should know or anything I can use to enforce what I'm trying so hard to learn? It just doesn't stick. To put it simply, I need some serious help in all aspects of reading standard notation. Response would be much appreciated. Thanks/ PS: also, please don't post telling me that sightreading is unimportant and I shouldn't worry about it, as even though I respect your thoughts and own ways of playing, I simply feel the complete opposite and disagree with that way of thinking. I'm here to understand all aspects of music and view nothing as unimportant.
I salute you and believe you are making a tremendously worthwhile and important step. Don't ever let anybody tell you that knowing how to read standard notation won't help your musicianship!

With which aspects of reading standard notation do you now feel comfortable? Answering this question will give us a good starting point for offering suggestions and help.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by gpb0216
I salute you and believe you are making a tremendously worthwhile and important step. Don't ever let anybody tell you that knowing how to read standard notation won't help your musicianship!

With which aspects of reading standard notation do you now feel comfortable? Answering this question will give us a good starting point for offering suggestions and help.

Quoted for truth.

And I don't know if you'd want another book, but IMO The Christopher Parkening Guitar Method - Volume 1 is a great book for learning notation.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
To gpb0216^^ I can read most basic material within the first five frets (I play bass). I haven't gotten into keys yet. Even with as little as I know, it is still a very unstable foundation.
Just a note, you are mistaking music notation reading and sight reading. Music Notation reading is being able to read music notation (obviously), but sight reading is when you read a music notation for the first time. Just to clear things up.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
I'm in a similar situation. I can read standard notation all right, but my sense of timing is horrible, and chords really throw me off. =(
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Quote by Tantalus
Just a note, you are mistaking music notation reading and sight reading. Music Notation reading is being able to read music notation (obviously), but sight reading is when you read a music notation for the first time. Just to clear things up.

No, I understand that, but I'm grouping them together. I know the difference and everything (and obviously want to be well informed in both). Sorry for any confusion.
Quote by metal4all
http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id82_en.html

Probabaly too basic but meh, just tryin to help?

edit: the whole site basically has shit: http://www.musictheory.net/

edit2: good luck learning to read sheet music in all it's glory. It's a good thing to learn and really something that only about maybe 20% of guitarists know.

Thanks a lot, I officially love that site right now. The Staff Paper Generator is sweet!
Quote by gpb0216

Like I said earlier, I really just know notes in the first five frets and need help re-enforcing what I already know. Thank you for your views and support.
Last edited by scottishmob at Jan 15, 2007,
You should check out your key signature

You should see where you will be moving your hand on the neck

You should look at the speed of the music

Quickly skim through to see some sharps and/or flats

Doing that should help sight reading.

It might also help your sheet paper reading if you take a favorite song of yours in tab, and then put it into musical notation.
Last edited by (...) at Jan 15, 2007,
i am also learning to read sheet music. In my guitar lessons, we use a book called "The Real Book" (sixth edition) by Hal Leanard. I find it very helpful in learning to read music on guitar.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

I too piano lessons for.. my whole life, and guitar also, so I can sight read for both in standard, but what is the importance of being able to read standard for guitar?
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

Quote by IriShDroPkick
I too piano lessons for.. my whole life, and guitar also, so I can sight read for both in standard, but what is the importance of being able to read standard for guitar?

(standard as in sheet music?)
If you can read sheet music for guitar it helps you learn exactly where all the notes on the guitar are. With tab you are playing strings/frets, with sheet music you are playing notes.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Find a tricky piece that you really would like to play, and don't let yourself look at tab for it, just notation. you need motivation so learning something your interested in instead of going through method books will be a greater help.