I recently made a purchase online, picking up an Epiphone Les Paul that needs neck repair. I am told it had repair done once already. Can any of the experienced repairmen here give me some insight on the necessary work?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by thomasgrant at Jan 14, 2007,
Cant tell too much by the pics, any more onfo as to how bad it is, or if the finished is just cracked, or is the wood broken?
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Cant tell too much by the pics, any more onfo as to how bad it is, or if the finished is just cracked, or is the wood broken?

That's the only photo I have to give at the moment, I haven't received this just yet. I will be happy to take more photos when it arrives and post up.

I forgot to mention that I was also told it doesn't play at the 1st fret. If that gives any insight to the damage.
It doesn't play? The nut is either too low, or the guitar is a peice of shit.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
it looks cracked to me. cuz if you fallow it where you can really see the damage theres a small line going down. so to me it appears cracked, possibly snapped and the fretboard if holding it togeather.*shrugs*
Quote by moonhawk
it looks cracked to me. cuz if you fallow it where you can really see the damage theres a small line going down. so to me it appears cracked, possibly snapped and the fretboard if holding it togeather.*shrugs*

I think you're on the money. When I get this I'll take photos myself with more feedback on the problem.
How much is this costing you, and how much would it cost for you to buy it new?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Well i really doubt its the nut, i mean if its a real epiphone than the nut would be set up correctly from the factory. I doubt they would have put out a guitar with a nut so bad that the 1st fret doesnt sound its note..

Sounds to me like you have a cracked neck, but you can check to be sure..

First examine the crack, see if it goes past the finish and into the wood, chip little bits of the finish away if you have to, just to make sure the neck wood isnt cracked (its not like your finish matters that much at this point anyway.) Or you can hold the neck with your strum hand (fretboard facing down), and put your fret hand on the back of the headstock, and GENTLY put some pressure on it and see if you get any movement or seperation in the wood on that crack, if you do, your neck is pretty much toast.

If your neck is cracked, the most you can really do is attepmt to seal the crack with some good wood glue, which would actually make it stronger than the normal wood.. The hard part is getting the glue into the crack without snapping your neck in half.. If you can get some glue in there (a syringe to squirt the glue into the crack would probably work wonders here) Get the glue in, let it dry for a good 2 or 3 days, then check it, make sure its dried and sealed good, if not, put some more in there.. Then after its all dry, you can try to fix the finish as best you can.. Some paint/stain of a similar color, and some automotive clearcoat to seal it should do the job.. If none of that works, then you'll have to replace the neck, and its probably a set neck and not a bolt on, which makes things difficult and expensive..

Hope it works out ok for ya, hate to see another guitar player get ripped off, but you just might have, So i hope you didnt pay alot for it, but theres still hope..
Last edited by Bones420 at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by Will_Minus
How much is this costing you, and how much would it cost for you to buy it new?

Are you asking me how much did I get the guitar for? And then how much would it have cost brand new?

I am not too familiar with Epiphone's Les Paul models and what there going rate is or even what year this thing is yet. I suppose I can check serial number and all that when I get it.

I paid $185/shipped for it. The crack in the neck is the only damaged area of the guitar.
Quote by Bones420

Hope it works out ok for ya, hate to see another guitar player get ripped off, but you just might have, So i hope you didnt pay alot for it, but theres still hope..

Thanks for the concern and efforts in your post. I did't feel $185 for what appears to be an in excellent shape Epiphone Les Paul a rip-off, or I wouldn't have gone for it.

Granted, this is a risk I was willing to take as I've never played with repairing a neck before. I do have a few very knowledgeable wood working people in my family that have all the tools I might ever need, minus a few things to work with guitars. I just wanted to toss it up on here and get input from the people who mess with them everyday.
http://projectguitar.com/tut/crack.htm
There's a tutorial on it.

Just so you know that crack is where the wood was cut to create an angled headstock. That's how some angled headstocks are made...Guess it was just a poorly constructed joint, cause it's supposed to hold up fine. I've heard of this as a common problem with SG's and LP's at my local guitar shop, though.

Let's see a side view of the neck.