ok so I need some help on what I should do about my pinky. I can't seem to get it to stay low enough like the rest of my fingers. I can still get it where it's needed in time, but what can I do to help get it to stay closer to the fretboard? Any suggestions on exercises?
just dont use your pinky use the ring finger, and keep your thumb behind the fret next after your index for the reach you'll need.
NOOOOOOO
don't just use your ring

if you dont whip that pinky into shape you will lose a very powerful asset to your musicianship.
try going up and down the strings like so with just ring and pinky
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------1------------1-------2------1-------2-------etc-------
----------------1------------1------2-----1-----2------------2--------------------------------------------------
---1----2------------2--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just repeat this all the way up and down the neck, as soon as you pick up your guitar.

this will seem very VERY difficult to do at first, but when you wake up the next day, it will be somewhat easier.
And as I rise above the tree lines and the clouds
I look down, hearing the sound of the things you've
said today
yes, listen to what he said ^^^.... when you get to playing fast stuff you will be screwed if your pinky is retarded
actually that exercise isn't that hard for me it's just keeping my pinky down low that I'm having a problem with... but I'll prolly work on that exercise cuz I can always use more strength in my pinky haha
try taping your pinky to your ring
lol that might work but it might screw things up
lmao yeah good plan haha... I'm not so sure that that'd work... someone told me that I should put my pinky under the fretboard to exaggerate how the pinky should be... then I watched him play and it looked all weird lol
the more you use your pinky the closer it will get to the desired way.

mine used to be the same way.

so in any case that you might use your pinky, do it.
And as I rise above the tree lines and the clouds
I look down, hearing the sound of the things you've
said today
maybe if you just start playing more with your pinky it will begin to move down
thats kind of a strange problem though
Quote by dekaid
just dont use your pinky use the ring finger, and keep your thumb behind the fret next after your index for the reach you'll need.

dekaid, you are an idiot fo realz.

Just use your pinky at every available spot, and do scales with it, and eventually you will build strength and dexterity in it. The most important thing is to just practice with it a lot. Thats how you improve anything, right?
I actually learned using my pinky with "stronger than all" from hammerfall, at the moment I play powerchords which need 3 fingers, like 577, with my index, ringfinger and pinky...
here's the section of stronger than all with which I learned to use my pinky

(don't kill me if that's crap, I only play for 2 months now, but I kinda learned using my pinky with this one)

|--------------------------|-----------------------|-------------------------|--------------------------|
|--------------------------|-----------------------|-------------------------|--------------------------|
|*-------------------------|-----------------------|-------------------------|--------------------------|
|*--9----------------------|--12------9--L----4----|--5----------------------|--7--------5--------4-----|
|---7----7--7--7--7--7--7--|--10------7--L----2----|--3----3--3--3--3--3--3--|-----3--3-----3--3-----3--|

It is specially this part that helped me (playing the 7 with the pinky)

|--------------------------|
|--7--------5--------4-----|
|-----3--3-----3--3-----3--|

I hope this helps

greets,
Degg

Edit: You could also play the 2nd riff of Master of Puppets, also helps
Just another guitar addicted
Yes, the pre-verse (I guess?) riff in MoP is great for pinkies, and so is intro riff in Crazy Train.