All right, so I'm thinking about starting a pedalboard, and starting with a Visual Sound J & H pedal (in addition to my Danelectro EQ pedal, which hasn't shipped yet), as I've heard nothing but good things about it. The thing is, I don't know if i can really justify myself buying it, since I have a tube amp. I mean, why get an OD when you can just turn the gain down? But I think it might be good for solo boosts, and having more gain in general would be nice. So what do you think? Should I spend 140 bucks on it?
The Jeckyl and Hyde is an incredible pedal and sounds better then my Boss DS-1 Distortion, my MXR ZW-44 OD, and my DOD YJM308 OD. It is worth every penny if you want a great overdriven tone and it is very versitle. I would not hesitate buying another one if mine ever failed.
Guitars:

Epi LP Standard HB W/ EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG470
OLP Tin Top

Amp:

Epi Valve Standard

Effects:

Custom Pedal Board

Boss DS-1 | Boss TU-2 | MXR Blue Box | MXR ZW-44 | DOD YJM308 | VS Jekyll & Hyde | Vox ToneLab SE
All right, cool, I think I'm probably going to get one... I don't know for sure yet though. Any other thoughts?
Boss SD-1?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Out of all the distortion pedals Ive ever played, the J&H is probably my #1 favorite. VERY smooth sounding OD, plus extremely nice sounding distortion = awesome.

BUT since you DO have a tube amp, I would suggest the VisualSound Route66 American Overdrive. AWESOME sounding OD...PLUS a great compressor. I strongly recommend the Route66 over the J&H in your situation. Compressors can do wonders for a tube amp, as well as a great OD pedal...obviously. The Route66 has both.

Also, since its VisualSound, you know youre getting great quality build and sound with NO tone loss at all.
Andy, you sound like you're a Visual Sound salesman.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^Yeah, he does But you have a good point, I don't really need the extra disto pedal; I'll look into the Route 66

EDIT: All right, so this probably sounds pretty stupid; but what's a compressor pedal for? Does it just add sustain?
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Jan 15, 2007,
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by aznrockerdude
Andy, you sound like you're a Visual Sound salesman.

Well I am a salesman at a music shop that carries VisualSound products. And I did work today.

Quote by De Amazing Blob
EDIT: All right, so this probably sounds pretty stupid; but what's a compressor pedal for? Does it just add sustain?

Basically makes quieter notes louder, and louder notes more quiet. BASICALLY*. Theyre great for solos and tapping and whatnot. Makes your guitar stand out. You can also use it as kind of a clean boost.
Compressors take a long while to get used to, and usually, you really cant even hear all that much of a difference because its a pretty transparent effect. Have somebody at a music shop give you examples of how they sound/work so you can learn the correct way to work them and how they can improve your tone. A good compressor used in the right way can do wonders for your tone!
Yeah, the JH is good, but the 66 is better IMO if you have a nice tube amp already.

And Visual Sound gear is great.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
jekyl and hyde is awesome makes my marshall dsl401 sound massive, and it has awesome tone
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War