what is all the stuff i would need to plug my guitar into my computer, not programs just gear. Also where does it connect into?

EditL could you post webpages and/or prices?
Last edited by drunkinkoala at Jan 14, 2007,
yep, just a guitar cable with a those converter plugs so that u can plug it into ur sound cards Line In or Mic input.
the converter plugs might get the job done if your guitar has active pickups. but otherwise the signal will probably be too low and you will need either a DI (direct in) box or a mic preamp.
right now i have a "ART TUBE MP Project Series" mic preamp and it works fine. that way you can also plug a mic in if you wanted. i got mine off of Musician's Friend for a reasonable price.

EDIT: even though its called a mic preamp it also has 1/4" ins and outs
Last edited by jstoeffler at Jan 14, 2007,
Ok so i understand the cords but the post above is kind of confusing me. I don't have ative pickups and musicians friend doesn't ship to canada but will my guitar work if i buy the cord the first couple people suggested and plug in my guitar and get audicity? or is there anything else i need because i'm on a tight budget i'm getting a pedal and then something to plug into my computer with if i have enough money.
I use the Line 6 Guitar Port. I think MF has it for $100. I bought mine from a guy on ebay for $40.

Have FUn.
Take The 1/4" to 1/8" and plug into the Headphone/Line Out on your amp and plug it into the Line In on your computer...
If you want to plug into your PC just get a Line 6 guitar port.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh yeah i should specify something I want something to plug my guitar into my computer and be able to record with audicity or something. Also my budget is about 50-65$ also my computer is windows.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Oh yeah i should specify something I want something to plug my guitar into my computer and be able to record with audicity or something. Also my budget is about 50-65$ also my computer is windows.

The 1/4" into 1/8" adapter plugged into your mic input will sound horrible, its ok for recording ideas that you don't want to forget but it'll sound crappy.There aren't any really good options in that price range, but this will probably work the best and give you some passable tones. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-JamLab-Personal-Guitar-System?sku=241104
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
just plug the 1/4" jack into the headphone jack on ur amp, and the 1/8" jack into the mic slot of the pc. i got a cable for 7 bucks. if u need programs, get audacity or wavepad
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member of the sXe club. pm to join.

My Crap:
Modded Squier Guitar
Digitech RP250
Squier SP10
Quote by yeahyeah
The 1/4" into 1/8" adapter plugged into your mic input will sound horrible, its ok for recording ideas that you don't want to forget but it'll sound crappy.There aren't any really good options in that price range, but this will probably work the best and give you some passable tones. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-JamLab-Personal-Guitar-System?sku=241104

that's the thing my friend has but i forgot the name he said it was good and i'm going to ask him more about it. How badly will it sound though because when i get this i was thinking about joining one of those contest thingy's ultimate guitar where you record something and then there is judges.
hmm, I'm thinking of doing this too.

Which is best? StealthPlug, Line6 Guitar Port, M-audio Jamlab?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
just plug the 1/4" jack into the headphone jack on ur amp, and the 1/8" jack into the mic slot of the pc. i got a cable for 7 bucks. if u need programs, get audacity or wavepad

Where is the mic slot?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
You can get cables that will convert 1/4 to USB

I'm not sure on the sound quality though
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
If I was you, go for the lightsnake, because we have no idea how good your sound card is, you probably will have an issue with latency.
M-audio Jamlab. Comes with some software and everything and is only about $50 or so.