Page 1 of 2
Like if you were to define punk rock in a single band, which band would you choose?

I've been interested in this for a while. I think everyone definition of punk is different, so make sure that you pick a band that properly puts forth your views.

And pease, nobody choose a band because they "started punk rock".
peace & chemicals
honestly, it's hard to put punk into one bad, because it's a pretty diverse genre.

IMO, i'd say the unseen, the music is loud, fast, pissed off, and sings about serious things. They don't have the whole "we're punk cuz we have dyed hair and studded leather jackets"(cough casualties cough).
Quote by Soma3009

I'm wearing my batman outfit to school tomorrow. Only problem is, the legs are spandex. So, my balls competely stand out. Is there ANY possible way around this?

Quote by futurejimmypage
like my band wants to have like kickass nick names. names like synyster gates etc.
I think the Germs would be a good example because they were doing something COMPLETELY different from anyone else at the time. they are truly original and a great band.
Sex Pistols, because they could barely play sometimes but still gave it a go, and said **** you to anyone that told them differently
Quote by CousticStrangla
I know I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder too.

Quote by Raz_Steroid
So you're a Transformer?
i like bomb the music industry's diy mentality, and how you can get their music online for free and they make the shirts and shit for ya...that is punk bitches. not sid vicious pretending to play bass.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Bad Brains. Say what you will about H.R and his alledged homophobic views but Bad Brains helped define what is known as hardcore punk. And an all black, fast as shit, DC hardcore band of rastafarians combining American Hardcore and Reggae is the coolest shit ever.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
The one, the only, the New York Dolls.

I wanted to be fancy...

I agree.

They were faggy and noisy and fun, which pretty much sums up punk for me.
Quote by sargasm
I agree.

They were faggy and noisy and fun, which pretty much sums up punk for me.

true dat
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

If we were talking the most 1979 punk band it would obviously be the Dead Boys

But since punk is so different in nearly every aspect from then till now and all the inbetween I dont think the most punk band can be fairly chosen. Probably Minor Threat though.
ew...minor threat...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

I used to really dislike them but they slowly grew on me and I can see what the appeal is now.
Quote by mike2
i like bomb the music industry's diy mentality, and how you can get their music online for free and they make the shirts and shit for ya...that is punk bitches. not sid vicious pretending to play bass.

actually, since all the other bassists in popular music where sitting there playing virtuoso solo's and he couldn't even play i'd say that he was pretty ****ing punk

i'd say the clash. because they didn't even have to be playing punk rock, they played the music they liked, and they where ****ing brilliant at it.
for me thats the way punk should be...there's none of this 'if you make a dollar you're a sellout', it's just about playing the music you want and having a good time doing it. and hey, if you get popular, thats awesome
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Last edited by pistols at Jan 15, 2007,
dead kennedys, because they are rebbellious, contriversiol, politically charged, and they kick ass!!!!
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

I think the Sex Pistols would define British Punk: Heavily influenced by the Stooges and New York Dolls and didn't last very long.
"The Sex Pistols would be vastly improved by sudden death, they are the antithesis of human kind. I would like to see someone dig a huge hole and bury the lot of them in it" Bernard Brook Partridge: London Councilor, 1977
Quote by UraniYum
Chaos UK or The 4 Skins
Cos they never changed for anybody.

yea, i was gonna say any oi band would sum up punk.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Definately the Dead Kennedys. Jello represented the ideals of punk. He kept things independant, he said what he wanted to when he wanted to, and he was just generally awesome. The rest of the band turned out to be pretty greedy, but they helped provide the music, and without it, the DKs wouldn't have been the DKs. They also helped create the hardcore punk sound.
Quote by RockThe40oz
Crass... because their music sucks and their followers are all a bunch of assholes yet I still love them.

Except I like their "music."

Quote by Zardokk
Definately the Dead Kennedys. Jello represented the ideals of punk. He kept things independant, he said what he wanted to when he wanted to, and he was just generally awesome. The rest of the band turned out to be pretty greedy, but they helped provide the music, and without it, the DKs wouldn't have been the DKs. They also helped create the hardcore punk sound.

now, i love the dead kennedys and jello, but the other members weren't at fault at all. jello really did owe them the $76,000 in royalties. i suggest you read these pages: http://www.deadkennedysnews.com/words.htm and http://www.deadkennedysnews.com/faq.htm
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
i'd have to say Black Flag. there dedication and hard work, along with the DIY ethic they displayed, sums up punk for me. they fu*king went through hell to tour anywhere and everywhere, and played some of the best punk songs ever. Also, the fact that they kept doing what they wanted and playing what they wanted. its quite evident there sound changed over the years, and instead of doing the safe thing and keeping the same sound that they knew poeple liked they continued to write what they wanted and play what they liked to write
the mother****ing descendents for me at least i just love how so much shit happen with like milo leaving like 2 or 3 times but then came back and played the music they loved they never changed imo and they are still rockin that shit with the same good ass music
Member #3 of the "I Watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" Club. PM theplague925 or Papasmurph to join.

my life got pwned by cptncaklefanny 4-09-07
Crimpshrine. How many of those bands hitchiked to their shows?
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by pistols
actually, since all the other bassists in popular music where sitting there playing virtuoso solo's and he couldn't even play i'd say that he was pretty ****ing punk

i'd say the clash. because they didn't even have to be playing punk rock, they played the music they liked, and they where ****ing brilliant at it.
for me thats the way punk should be...there's none of this 'if you make a dollar you're a sellout', it's just about playing the music you want and having a good time doing it. and hey, if you get popular, thats awesome

i think that using him for an idol for the punks to worship cause he was so bad ass is stupid, since they are basing it not off of his talent as a musician, but because he hit people with his bass and wore swaztikas. that is not brilliant, that is bull.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by mike2
i think that using him for an idol for the punks to worship cause he was so bad ass is stupid, since they are basing it not off of his talent as a musician, but because he hit people with his bass and wore swaztikas. that is not brilliant, that is bull.

I agree. I think Sid Vicious is lame. All he did was do drugs and jump around on stage and he got famous for it. Plus, swaztikas aren't cool. I like the Sex Pistols, but I have no respect for Sid Vicious.

I think The Clash define punk. They were a great band that had a lot to say and wasn't afraid to change their style. Plus, even though they were on a major label, they put their fans and their music first by lying to the label to get double and triple albums.

Quote by Ska Wars
now, i love the dead kennedys and jello, but the other members weren't at fault at all. jello really did owe them the $76,000 in royalties. i suggest you read these pages: http://www.deadkennedysnews.com/words.htm and http://www.deadkennedysnews.com/faq.htm

Yeah, after reading an interview with Klaus I lost all respect for Jello as a person. He spends so much time trying to make the other guys look bad and make it seem like Ray broke up the band. Klaus' story seemed to make a lot more sense. I'll put up the link if I find it.

EDIT:
http://www.markprindle.com/
There's also interviews with Ray and D.H. there.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jan 15, 2007,
i would say the misfits, because for them (other bands too) like playing live it wasnt the sound quality or how good of musicians they were, it was about having fun. they didnt care about politics or social issues, it was just balls to the walls punk rock. all about puting on a good show and makin sure the crowd has fun.

edit- i didnt mean they were the only band like that, there just my favirot so thats why i said them
Last edited by emf810 at Jan 15, 2007,
^misfits suck, they are the anti punk imo
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by mike2
^misfits suck, they are the anti punk imo

you on crack dude? how can you say there not punk? if yer gunna say so at least give reasons dont just say it
Last edited by emf810 at Jan 15, 2007,

LIMITED EDITION MISFITS TOXIC TEDDIES
AVAILABLE NOW!

The Toxic Teddies have brought their horror and punk-rock attitude to a line based on the legendary originators of horror-punk, the Misfits!

also just this:

they look retarded, what are they? like forty?

and...

interview for conservative punk.com, which i thought Michale Graves help start

it seems they will do anything for the almighty dollar, even if it is to dress like total retards.
http://www.conservativepunk.com/ColumnItem.asp?reviewId=5

and they are on carolina records, which is a division of EMI, one of the four biggest labels in the world...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Last edited by mike2 at Jan 15, 2007,
Quote by neidnarb11890
I agree. I think Sid Vicious is lame. All he did was do drugs and jump around on stage and he got famous for it. Plus, swaztikas aren't cool. I like the Sex Pistols, but I have no respect for Sid Vicious.

I think The Clash define punk. They were a great band that had a lot to say and wasn't afraid to change their style. Plus, even though they were on a major label, they put their fans and their music first by lying to the label to get double and triple albums.

some of the members of the clash where in a band called the london ss. siouxsie sioux wore swastika's as well, just like pretty much everyone else in the early punk scene. it's not because they where nazis, it's because of the shock value.

sid started the flowers of romance, which spawned the slits, which was among the first all-female punk groups and among the first to mix punk and reggae.
when he went solo he played with mick jones, rat scabies, and several other punk 'legends'

he has a very interesting life story, and he did a hell of a lot for punk. ****, he even invented the pogo.

so whether or not he did drugs (which where brought on him by his girlfriend) he still deserves respect as an important figure in the history of punk rock.
Quote by B4Dkarma

He did not invent the Pogo. People have been pogoing since the birth of rock and roll... look at some of those old movies of rock and roll concerts in the 50's.
i saw an interview with him saying that the pistols was the only band he ever wanted to dance to, and the only thing he could think of doing was jumping up and down.
i don't know, maybe he made it more violent or something.

by the way, the guy he hit with the bass had been threatening the band, then he jumped up on stage, so sid hit him.
in the past people had attacked johnny rotten with machetes and broken bottles for singing god save the queen. so considering that, and the fact that people still beat up anyone in the band whenever they got the chance, i would have hit him too.
Quote by B4Dkarma

what i am saying is sid din't do that much, all he did was start a couple of bands, then pretended to play bass, got adicted to drugs, deterioated a band because he was so adicted, then shanked his girlfriend...
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by emf810
it was just balls to the walls punk rock.

Anything that can be described as "balls to the walls" generally sucks.
nah, he didn't make it more vioenlt. He just liked to take credit for alot of things he didn't do. The Sex Pistols are really good at that (like how they "started punk").

Look up info on the Bill Haley and the Comets European tour in 1958.
Quote by whyvern
nah, he didn't make it more vioenlt. He just liked to take credit for alot of things he didn't do. The Sex Pistols are really good at that (like how they "started punk").

Look up info on the Bill Haley and the Comets European tour in 1958.

I was just about to post "Rock Around the Clock" but I couldn't find the video of the kids rioting.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Page 1 of 2