Ok, so my band is going into the studio to record an Ep. And im looking for a nice simple recording guitar. And I came across the Gibson Melody Maker. Its a les paul shape with a p-90 in the bridge, and its a nice simple guitar. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this guitar. I probably wouldnt be playing it live but using it as a back up. Thanks.
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

Styles? Budget?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
im looking for a nice punchy heavy distortion sound which I hear you can get from a p-90, and nothing over a grand. other suggestions are welcome.
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

change the pickup to a humbucker and get it set up and yes it'll be amazing.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

I don't like the pups with it.

It's an alright guitar, not my style though.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
well why dont you get an epiphone les paul
it has 2!!!! pickups and therefore is more versatile
and cheaper

btw i dont really get the point of paying 530 bucks for a guitar only because its made by gibson
the p-90 might be good, but you can get waaaay better guitars for the price

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Reverend make cheap, well made P-90 guitars.
Quote by Dave_Mc
For the cost of a Mesa Roadking, I could alternatively purchase Belgium.
okay so now i'm REALLY confused. remember those old reissues of the melody maker? it seems that the specs kept on changing and changing. first the whole thing was santa maria or something, then mahogany/cedar, then mahogany/mahogany. are there TRULY any mahogany/mahogany melody maker reissues out there? how do we know for sure? serial number? what years were the mahogany/mahogany made?

i've got LOTS of questions!
The P90's sound great. Why would someone consider changing them to humbuckers? Seems silly to me.

But yeah, the two P90 model sounds great, but it feels really weird. Kinda like a toy, but if you can get along with it then it sounds pretty great.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by MAXWELLMURDER
Ok, so my band is going into the studio to record an Ep. And im looking for a nice simple recording guitar. And I came across the Gibson Melody Maker. Its a les paul shape with a p-90 in the bridge, and its a nice simple guitar. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this guitar. I probably wouldnt be playing it live but using it as a back up. Thanks.

Can you not get a good tone out of your ES-335?

Otherwise, you can get nicer guitars for under a grand, you could get a LP Junior for that much, and they feel much better than the melody makers.

You could also get a used LP studio for under 1000, occasionally they go on sale for 999.

P-90's are good for punchy mid-range sounds, but I really don't see why you need a whole new guitar...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I say the Melody Maker is a rip off. You're only paying for the gibson name. The guitar doesn't sound BAD, it's just that you get nothing for the ammount you pay. A high-end epiphone is much better than a low-end gibson. Try epi elitists, or Reverend.
the gibson melody maker is 350 and is kinda small. its build quality isnt that bad i didnt paly one though. they look cheap cuz they just come in cardboard boxes
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.