Page 1 of 46
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
Ok i just searched for one but couldnt find any.. so here goes

Welcome To The Joe Satriani Thread!!

Here we salute a fine and most talented guitar player who has influenced many over time, with his Strange Beautiful Music.

Anyone else have anything they would like to share? About The Man,
Joe Satriani!!

"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Last edited by xtopher_aaron at Jan 15, 2007,
metal Lover
Banned
5,044 IQ
I just got a jsx head with a marshall 1960A cab. nicest amp I could possibly ask for for the price. I like it better than the Mesa Recto series even though they are completely different
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
id love a JSX peavey man.. damn..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
aeginotu
e^(πi) + 1 = 0
133 IQ
As would I.
I love his music, it is absolutely wonderful.
I've tried his signature guitar and it was alright.
(Nothing can come close to a JEM through this fancy Bogner. It sounded wonderful and really made my playing sound like something that isn't shit.)
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
oh man, you guys are so lucky, you get to use JSX amps, Jems and JS guitars... where i live, youd be lucky to come in contact with and RG.. thank god i had my S470 brought down from the States..
wasp2020
919 IQ
Absolutely fantastic songwriter. Absolutely. Fantastic.
6DOIT
Midway Creature
893 IQ
Any of you guys pick up the new live CD????..........I got it the other day..................It really focuses on the bluesier side of his playing IMO................What are your impressions???
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
He took lessons with Lennie Tristano and Billy Bauer. That's some cool shit.

Not many people know that, I've found. Ofcourse, they need to know a fair bit about jazz in order to even be impressed by that.

Quote by xtopher_aaron
oh man, you guys are so lucky, you get to use JSX amps, Jems and JS guitars... where i live, youd be lucky to come in contact with and RG.. thank god i had my S470 brought down from the States..

Where's that?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
wasp2020
919 IQ
I love the version fo Always With Me Always With You on the new DVD. And One Robot's Dream.

And I love that new bass player (Dave LaRue), on Meaning of Love and Cool #9...
johnny_tapia
Definitely Maybe..
1,944 IQ
has anyone elses copy of his new live cd got the tracklisting all messed up?
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
lobster624
stop that
245 IQ
has anyone seen crowd chant live??????
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
2112swartz
Hi, I'm Bill
291 IQ
hes awesome on G3. i liked his song choices on live in tokyo alot better that the ones on live in denver.
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Little Savage
27 IQ
I own a JS1000BTB

Beautiful guitar : )
Fender Stratocaster x 2
Ibanez JS1000BTB
Zakk Wylde Les Paul
Epiphone Flying V
'Texas' Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore Jazz
Fender strat copies x 3
Aria Pro II
Classical guitars x 2
Aria steel string acoustic

Marshall, Crate, Fender amps
lobster624
stop that
245 IQ
is it awesome live?
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
he's pure gold live. he can jam like crazy, and same with improv.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
He took lessons with Lennie Tristano and Billy Bauer. That's some cool shit.

Not many people know that, I've found. Ofcourse, they need to know a fair bit about jazz in order to even be impressed by that.

I knew he did that..
Dont forget Joe Pass..

Did you know, when Joe used to take lessons, If ever he hit a bad note, he would be sent home and the lesson was over. Thats it, i think he was taking those lessons from Joe Pass at the time. It didnt matter how long it took him to find the right, but he made sure he did. And mind you, all that training at age 17.. could you imagine the capacity of his playing now. Geeess...
metal Lover
Banned
5,044 IQ
Quote by xtopher_aaron
I knew he did that..
Dont forget Joe Pass..

Did you know, when Joe used to take lessons, If ever he hit a bad note, he would be sent home and the lesson was over. Thats it, i think he was taking those lessons from Joe Pass at the time. It didnt matter how long it took him to find the right, but he made sure he did. And mind you, all that training at age 17.. could you imagine the capacity of his playing now. Geeess...

what an asshole! but it worked, didn't it?
pavan
stunt guitar
210 IQ
His earlier albums I like better.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by xtopher_aaron
I knew he did that..
Dont forget Joe Pass..

It's just too bad he didn't do anything with all his jazz training imo... I find him bland to listen to mostly.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
wasp2020
919 IQ
^ He's done plenty with it. Have you seen the modulations in Engines of Creation (and the dozens of other examples)? And IIRC, he directly credited a single jazz artist for the chorus in Hordes of Locusts (which escapes me at the moment)...
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
I think he just does what he does. Its his style that defines him, some may like it some may not.. But atleast its from the heart you know?

But one things for sure, I know for a fact hes more than capable of playing any kind of style..
I was watching this video of him, he was talking about Modal scales and all that, while he was talking, he was just soloing mindlessly all over the guitar. and i was like.. WooW.. even that sounded beautiful, all he had was his Chrome Boy, JSX Peavey, DS-1 and DD-2, 3 or 6 im not sure.. he had very little gain on so it sounder so sweet and clean.. What a musician, what a guitarist.. SALUTE!!
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by wasp2020
^ He's done plenty with it. Have you seen the modulations in Engines of Creation (and the dozens of other examples)? And IIRC, he directly credited a single jazz artist for the chorus in Hordes of Locusts (which escapes me at the moment)...

I'm talking about jazz. Not using jazz influences and theory in what are essentially rock songs.

And to be honest, I wouldn't class modulation as something "from" jazz.

Quote by xtopher_aaron
I think he just does what he does. Its his style that defines him, some may like it some may not.. But atleast its from the heart you know?

But one things for sure, I know for a fact hes more than capable of playing any kind of style..
I was watching this video of him, he was talking about Modal scales and all that, while he was talking, he was just soloing mindlessly all over the guitar. and i was like.. WooW.. even that sounded beautiful, all he had was his Chrome Boy, JSX Peavey, DS-1 and DD-2, 3 or 6 im not sure.. he had very little gain on so it sounder so sweet and clean.. What a musician, what a guitarist.. SALUTE!!

Yeah, I know... Notice the imo.

Click.
xtopher_aaron
692 IQ
peace!! i noticed the IMO, just saying is all.. Kudos..
wasp2020
919 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
I'm talking about jazz. Not using jazz influences and theory in what are essentially rock songs.

And to be honest, I wouldn't class modulation as something "from" jazz.

Oh. Never mind then. I thought you were just talking about inspiration/influence.

Yeah, the only real jazzy thing from Satch I can think of is that outro solo to Is there Love in Space...
Little Savage
27 IQ
Quote by metal Lover
I just got a jsx head with a marshall 1960A cab. nicest amp I could possibly ask for for the price. I like it better than the Mesa Recto series even though they are completely different

Hey Nolan, how much did u pay for for jsx head ?
Fender Stratocaster x 2
Ibanez JS1000BTB
Zakk Wylde Les Paul
Epiphone Flying V
'Texas' Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore Jazz
Fender strat copies x 3
Aria Pro II
Classical guitars x 2
Aria steel string acoustic

Marshall, Crate, Fender amps
tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
they go for like $1300 new or somewhere around $750-850 used. a great bargain used.

and if you watch the satch boogie instructional video (floating around on youtube) he goes through all the modes on the tapping section. pretty crazy.

i think he does on the main portion of the song too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Nite27
Duke of Prunes
118 IQ
out of all the G3 Guys, and/or guitar virtuoso's, Satch is easily my favourite. I have most of his albums, and they're all fantastic. Favourite songs are probably "Circles" "Lights of Heaven" "Ceremony" and "Clouds Race Across the Sky"
EZLN libertad
Pisser of cute avatars
1,944 IQ
i really wish i could take lessons from him

but hes freakin amazing, i really wanna get his signature ibanez
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
Quote by Nite27
out of all the G3 Guys, and/or guitar virtuoso's, Satch is easily my favourite. I have most of his albums, and they're all fantastic. Favourite songs are probably "Circles" "Lights of Heaven" "Ceremony" and "Clouds Race Across the Sky"

if you like the studio version of circles, check up on the one from his "satriani live" CD. way better.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
Satch is one of the only "shredder" types I can listen to. He has the awesome technical skill, the speed, the theory... but he also has taste and one of the most beautiful tones I've ever heard teased out of a guitar.

Others are certainly impressive, but I can't honestly say I see in them what I see in Satch.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
metal Lover
Banned
5,044 IQ
Quote by Little Savage
Hey Nolan, how much did u pay for for jsx head ?

950 U.S. used, my friend. -This is Satch
Nite27
Duke of Prunes
118 IQ
Quote by tubab0y
if you like the studio version of circles, check up on the one from his "satriani live" CD. way better.

yeah, I have the DVD of that show. Friggin amazing. I might just have to buy the CD as well
tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
the CD is absolutely amazing. i love it.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
wasp2020
919 IQ
Quote by tubab0y
they go for like $1300 new or somewhere around $750-850 used. a great bargain used.

and if you watch the satch boogie instructional video (floating around on youtube) he goes through all the modes on the tapping section. pretty crazy.

i think he does on the main portion of the song too.

You should check out Engines of Creation. The entire song is a cycle through different modes every measure or so.

And yeah, the DVD is kickass. The outro to Always is amazing (I'm working on uploading it to Youtube >_>. That Circles outro is killer, how it goes all insane and then somehow turns into the Enigmatic riff...And I never expected for One Robot's Dream to blow me away as much as it did. That solo is amazing.
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
amazing legato
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Satriani_is_God
UGs Philip Karlsson
538 IQ
Quote by wasp2020
Oh. Never mind then. I thought you were just talking about inspiration/influence.

Yeah, the only real jazzy thing from Satch I can think of is that outro solo to Is there Love in Space...

Listen to New Blues on The Extremist that song is kind of jazzy..
wasp2020
919 IQ
XD And then there's crazy stuff like Killer Be-bop. Yeah, never mind.