Page 4 of 46
Quote by lobster624
is it true Satch has never played Crushing Day live? if so, why not? it's one of my favorite songs by him.

It was discussed a couple of posts back, basically his 3 reasons are:

1) The rhythm section, with him, performed live, is too 'clunky' and simply does not transfer well in a band situation (same for The Forgotten Pt2).

2) The solo is one of the only ones that he ever actually composed, and he feels uncomfortable playing it exactly the same, and also uncomfortable playing it differently then how he wrote it.

3) It's too '80s'! (a bit of a joke)
Quote by wasp2020
It was discussed a couple of posts back, basically his 3 reasons are:

1) The rhythm section, with him, performed live, is too 'clunky' and simply does not transfer well in a band situation (same for The Forgotten Pt2).

2) The solo is one of the only ones that he ever actually composed, and he feels uncomfortable playing it exactly the same, and also uncomfortable playing it differently then how he wrote it.

3) It's too '80s'! (a bit of a joke)

damn. that sucks. i would love to see him play it live. looks like i never will be able to...

at least i will get to see crowd chant. that should be fun
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
Quote by lobster624
damn. that sucks. i would love to see him play it live. looks like i never will be able to...

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taSnsA6TwKY

This is madness!

He actually said he might break it out once in a while, in the SBM tour rehearsal video on the official site.

(The ending chorus repeats cuts out to Devil's Slide)
Quote by wasp2020
SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taSnsA6TwKY

This is madness!

He actually said he might break it out once in a while, in the SBM tour rehearsal video on the official site.

(The ending chorus repeats cuts out to Devil's Slide)

what made him change his mind? this is awesome! any chance of me seeing it at G3?
I don't know, it may be from a couple of years ago. He said he would try it a few times for the SBM tour.

I don't think you have a chance, he seems to keep pretty straightforward in his setlsit for hsi Super Colossal tour, and msot G3 setlsits I know of.
yeah, G3 is him trying to market himself to people that came for the other guys. then again, it means you get to hear all his hits in one set- the one i saw in '03 was crystal planet, the extremist, MPHGT, midnight, and always. good set.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I think I might be starting to like Joe's music. I still much prefer Buckethead, Eric Johnson and probably Paul Gilbert and I still can't stand Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai.
looking to get signed to Pieface Records
one of my friends said he saw an interview with satch where he said he's planing on doing a blues G3 with John Mayer. Anyone else hear of this?
Blues G3? That might be really cool. I wonder who the third guy would be? I think my first choice would be Robert Cray...because I've already seen Buddy Guy live twice.
looking to get signed to Pieface Records
What was the setlist for Satriani in G3? I hope that he plays Crowd Chant on Saturday.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
Last edited by "putnamehere" at Apr 12, 2007,
after having heard the new Satriani Live DVD filmed at Anaheim, CA, I'm convinced that this will be one of the most coveted Satch live shows ever.

moreover, in time, Super Colossal will be right up there along with Surfing With the Alien, Crystal Planet, Flying in a Blue Dream and one of my personal favorites, Engines of Creation
Setlist as I remember it (nor in order) IIRC:

War (yes, that's War you're reading!)
One Big Rush
Super Colossal
Cool #9
Circles
Flying in a Blue Dream
Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
Surfing With the Alien
Always With me Always With You
Quote by wasp2020
Setlist as I remember it (nor in order) IIRC:

War (yes, that's War you're reading!)
One Big Rush
Super Colossal
Cool #9
Circles
Flying in a Blue Dream
Surfing With the Alien

That's an amazing setlist. War is so awesome. Only 3 more days!!! I can't wait.

I really wish he would play Searching and Crowd Chant though...Oh well, can't win 'em all.
Last edited by lobster624 at Apr 11, 2007,
^ Crowd Chant FTW. See you there bitch!
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.

Which is to say-

I haven't been following this thread, so I don't really know what's going on, but if it is the G3 setlist that you're talking about, Joe plays Crowd chant in the Jam.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
I wish Satch would bring Mr. Petrucci and Pablo Gilberto up Scotland's way.

I'd love to see G3.

Saw Satriani's actual tour tho.

It was brilliant.

Come on Satch, Come to Glasgow!
how did joe learn? and has anyone got any info on how he taught we he did lessons?
like what sort of things he felt important?
thanks guys
he is such a machine love his music!!!
Quote by lobster624
ahem...you mean boggling, but yes it is pretty darn good.

Blades of Glory quote fool!!
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
was the movie even out when i said that...? i havent seen it either... whos the fool now?!?!
^ I dont know if you still remember, but what was Satch's setlist during G3? I know he added some songs.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.

Which is to say-

i'm pretty sure he only added ice 9. i remember he played war, cool #9, surfing with the alien, satch boogie, circles, always with me always with you, errr... i will edit my post when i remember the others.
This was the setlist before:

War
One Big Rush
Super Colossal
Cool #9
Circles
Flying in a Blue Dream
Surfing With the Alien

Looks like he added Ice 9 somewhere.
Take a look at these websites, and the photos and tell me they look the same.

http://www.supermusic.sk/obrazky/9154_Surfing%20With%20The%20Alien.jpg
^
Joe Satriani Surfing with the alien

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Pictures+Of+The+Silver+Surfer&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-img-t340&x=wrt
^
Fantastic Four- Rise Of The Silver Surfer

Look At the top right photo and it is exactly the same.
(Invalid img)

look at this one...

EDIT: lol, the pic changed somehow...
Last edited by lobster624 at Aug 9, 2007,
Quote by TheUltimateSin
There are subtle differences <_<

QFT
very similar but not exactly the same of course...

on a side note I was listening to a bunch of tunes from Strange Beautiful Music today...god I love that album
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
Quote by Shreddin 4 Life
QFT
very similar but not exactly the same of course...

on a side note I was listening to a bunch of tunes from Strange Beautiful Music today...god I love that album

subtle differences indeed... it still looks like that's where it got it's inspiration from.

and yes SBM is indeed a very good album.
Satriani here, Satriani there, Satriani everywhere and I got sick of it. So yesh sir, I've downloaden - so sue me - some songs today and listened to them. Not bad I must say but to me he is overrated from what I've heard. Maybe towards the future - when I get to hear more - I'll take my words back but for the time being. I don't know... He's good, no doubt about that, but so incredibly good? I don't know.
Kelthas
"The only thing you know about me is what I've sold you."

Resiliance has titties and I touch 'em...
I love how you guys are all standing there open-jawed upon the discovery of the similarities between the Silver Surfer and the SWTA album cover

The words "duh, obvious" come to mind.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Any true shred geek knows satch used to watch that movie obsessively in his teenage years.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
movie?
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
Actually he didn't, from what I know he only got into it after someone reccomended the Surfing cover for the album (and proceded to make such songs as Back to Shalla-Bal, Power Cosmic, etc...)
I had read somewhere that he was never into comics or anything like that
but yeah I had always wondered if those songs had anything to do w/ Silver Surfer...
Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever
Quote by Resiliance

The words "duh, obvious" come to mind.

right off the bat
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Quote by Axegrinder#9
of course you realize that it is entirely plausible that "Weird Joe" smoked a lot of pot and dropped some acid every now and then.

He is quoted as saying he and Vai used to drop acid in the Sea of Emotion (some place near some fields) when they were teenagers.

wow, good ol' Satch & Vai
Quote by TheUltimateSin

best air guitar ever